[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Nov 9, 2013 at 6:29 AM Post #4,096 of 7,021
cannot believe Sony made something that good but you guys make me curious.

have you seen Dunu DN1000 thread? seems like poeple love it and it hits jackpot in 200$ area, some even believe it outclasses highly popular H200. i am lost.... but unfortunately no possible try it so can only read impressions.

It is really that good Gintaras. But I still can't let go of the H200 because it is better than the DN-1000 when it comes to heavy metal and other fast tempo rock/pop. The DUNU is definitely better if you sum up their capabilities and in slow tempo genres. I'd say they compliment each other.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:01 AM Post #4,097 of 7,021
It is really that good Gintaras. But I still can't let go of the H200 because it is better than the DN-1000 when it comes to heavy metal and other fast tempo rock/pop. The DUNU is definitely better if you sum up their capabilities and in slow tempo genres. I'd say they compliment each other.

i wonder can Dunu make H200 redundant? really curious because H200 was best under 350$ price tag for universal and i was hard pressed to hear anything better there, now seems DN1000 wants to dethrone H200? this is very serious claim to be taken lightly. i wonder if perhaps James444 will have them in tour here?

still i am more curious about ASG2 updated, FA4B and SD3 for future.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #4,098 of 7,021
Personally listening to DN -1000 right now, I think I prefer it over H -200. Dunu have a done a really good job, I'm ordering a pair next week.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #4,099 of 7,021

i wonder can Dunu make H200 redundant? really curious because H200 was best under 350$ price tag for universal and i was hard pressed to hear anything better there, now seems DN1000 wants to dethrone H200? this is very serious claim to be taken lightly. i wonder if perhaps James444 will have them in tour here?

If you're not into heavy metal and upbeat rock music then, YES: DN1000 can make the H200 redundant.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:15 AM Post #4,100 of 7,021

If you're not into heavy metal and upbeat rock music then, YES: DN1000 can make the H200 redundant.

Yup, agreed. H-200 needs to stand down. DN-1000 takes a pretty considerable dump on the T-Peos soundstage, (and other areas such as air, detail) but it won't be putting ASG-2 in fear anytime soon (providing ASG-2 is your preferred signature). I think what Dunu have is pretty scary value for money hybrid on their hands. It does lose some refinement at higher volumes but damn the tonality is spot on for me. It just really really agrees with my ears. Leave IEMs like W4 in the dust IMO. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:30 AM Post #4,101 of 7,021

Yup, agreed. H-200 needs to stand down. DN-1000 takes a pretty considerable dump on the T-Peos soundstage, (and other areas such as air, detail) but it won't be putting ASG-2 in fear anytime soon (providing ASG-2 is your preferred signature). I think what Dunu have is pretty scary value for money hybrid on their hands. It does lose some refinement at higher volumes but damn the tonality is spot on for me. It just really really agrees with my ears. Leave IEMs like W4 in the dust IMO. 

Spot on! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #4,102 of 7,021
Personally listening to DN -1000 right now, I think I prefer it over H -200. Dunu have a done a really good job, I'm ordering a pair next week.

wow, H20, changing your gear at such a speed.

remember, i once told you about Musical Fidelity EB50 (made by Dunu for MF) was one of the most dead neutral and accurate single BA IEMs... not many believed me. Swimsonny actually blamed MF for being made by Dunu... as reality stands Dunu showed what they are capable of with DN1000 now, so believe me EB50 is one of the most neutral IEMs i heard ever and has good clarity and stage too.

what bothers me DN1000 has no detachable cable while the one they have (identical to EB50) looks like prone to damages. also i wonder how you find DN1000 fit because they share very similar barrel design with EB50 which put off many people because of impossible to find a good fit. i was lucky one not to experience this problem.

Nov 9, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #4,103 of 7,021

wow, H20, changing your gear at such a speed.

remember, i once told you about Musical Fidelity EB50 (made by Dunu for MF) was one of the most dead neutral and accurate single BA IEMs... not many believed me. Swimsonny actually blamed MF for being made by Dunu... as reality stands Dunu showed what they are capable of with DN1000 now, so believe me EB50 is one of the most neutral IEMs i heard ever and has good clarity and stage too.

what bothers me DN1000 has no detachable cable while the one they have (identical to EB50) looks like prone to damages. also i wonder how you find DN1000 fit because they share very similar barrel design with EB50 which put off many people because of impossible to find a good fit. i was lucky one not to experience this problem.

Well, no detachable cables but damn dude, it's only $200. (only $200 yes I know) so I'm not really complaining in that area, I would like to see slightly longer strain reliefs on the housings though. I get a great fit using Vmoda tips that Lee once recommended me, so they just plop straight in. DN-1000 isn't going to dethrone my RDB Mini and original 1Plus2 I have here, *wink wink* but it's a damn fine alternative to H-200. As I've said many times I become bored of sound signatures rather quickly, hence the reason I never laid out the money for ASG-2 because within my demo period I was already tiring of the mid-bass and signature in general.  DN-1000 is actually the first Dunu product I've heard, they have taken things pretty seriously. I always pictured as a SoundMAGIC kind of brand. 

Anyway, whenever I come to this thread I end up talking anything but ASG-2 so I'm going to exit stage left. 

Nov 9, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #4,104 of 7,021

Well, no detachable cables but damn dude, it's only $200. (only $200 yes I know) so I'm not really complaining in that area, I would like to see slightly longer strain reliefs on the housings though. I get a great fit using Vmoda tips that Lee once recommended me, so they just plop straight in. DN-1000 isn't going to dethrone my RDB Mini and original 1Plus2 I have here, *wink wink* but it's a damn fine alternative to H-200. As I've said many times I become bored of sound signatures rather quickly, hence the reason I never laid out the money for ASG-2 because within my demo period I was already tiring of the mid-bass and signature in general.  DN-1000 is actually the first Dunu product I've heard, they have taken things pretty seriously. I always pictured as a SoundMAGIC kind of brand. 

Anyway, whenever I come to this thread I end up talking anything but ASG-2 so I'm going to exit stage left. 

you are spoiled dude.... huh my wallet hates you, i still wait for my DX50 while you already sold yours... and now Dunu DN1000.... no thanks i better pass on this. you know i need to talk up my H200 
tongue.gif

seriously, i trust your ears like mine and this is really great news when a good IEM also has sane price. so looks like Dunu DN1000 becomes another king on the block.

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:36 PM Post #4,106 of 7,021
@gnarlsagan, try -4db at 75hz, with a Q of .75 on the MH1. I haven't directly compared but this is closer to k3k levels of bass.

That's pretty similar to what I'm using.  I cut -3.5 at 120hz for a while and also tried this:

-7db 60hz 2.0q
-5db 200hz 2.0q

But these are sansas specific rockbox eq settings.  On my mac I use a slightly lower cut like -4 at 120hz and a little more below it.

Either way, they both sounds great, but give a little more or less bass.

Nov 10, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #4,107 of 7,021

you are spoiled dude.... huh my wallet hates you, i still wait for my DX50 while you already sold yours... and now Dunu DN1000.... no thanks i better pass on this. you know i need to talk up my H200 
tongue.gif

seriously, i trust your ears like mine and this is really great news when a good IEM also has sane price. so looks like Dunu DN1000 becomes another king on the block.

The AX-60 handily beats both.

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #4,108 of 7,021
Hmm how did you find the Mad Dogs eke2k6? Just curious if we have similar tastes in headphones, because I loveeee the Mad Dog 3.2 at the moment
Hearing so much conflicting reports - just asked somebody who manages a local headphone store. He said the Earsonics SM64 slayed the ASG-2 in everyway :\ Hmmm decisions decisions

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:12 AM Post #4,109 of 7,021
I hear the FA-4E XB slays SM3v2 (supposedly SM64?) In every way. :wink: *hint*

No don't take my word on it. Just wanted to point out that it's hard to say that something "slays" something in the same price bracket if both have received praise for their performance. However, if the ASG-2 tuning is not for you, then something like the MH1(C) will sound significantly better. So, unless someone can specify what was "slain" and also state their own preferences, take the comment with a large grain of salt. So read up on as many pro's and con's there are and try to decide, if you can test the potential buys, it's always better.

Nov 11, 2013 at 5:36 AM Post #4,110 of 7,021
I hear the FA-4E XB slays SM3v2 (supposedly SM64?) In every way.
wink.gif
*hint*

No don't take my word on it. Just wanted to point out that it's hard to say that something "slays" something in the same price bracket if both have received praise for their performance. However, if the ASG-2 tuning is not for you, then something like the MH1(C) will sound significantly better. So, unless someone can specify what was "slain" and also state their own preferences, take the comment with a large grain of salt. So read up on as many pro's and con's there are and try to decide, if you can test the potential buys, it's always better.

Quote from him:

"I'm not that big a fan of the ASG2, I think the Earsonics SM64 sounds way better personally. I was actually really disappointed when I first heard the ASG2 because I expected them to be pretty good.
The ASG2 can be hard to fit and are pretty boomy sounding, the SM64 have tighter, better controlled and more well defined bass, clearer mids and more treble detail (without it being harsh). The ASG2 do have a better cable.
I tend to recommend the ASG2 for people that are mostly after bass and not much else.

I test the ASG2 every few weeks to make sure I'm not crazy 
color]

edit: yep, just did another comparison - the ASG2 has slow, boomy bass (even adjusted), recessed mids and fair treble. The SM64 bass is tighter and punchier, if not quite as prominent (I wouldn't want more), but still nice and deep and solid (just without the slow or boomy). The Midrange on the SM64 kills the ASG2 so for vocals the 64 is much nicer and the treble on the 64 is smooth and detailed. 
Pretty much a no brainer for me.
I'm honestly not sure how the current ASG2 price is justified ($549) let alone what our next batch will be priced at if we get stock again ($699)..

edit2: I thought about it a bit, and here's another way I'd put it - the ASG2 remind me of the DT770, the SM64 remind me of the MSPro. It's not 100% accurate of course, but a decent analogy."

Pretty trustworthy guy too... hmm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back