[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Oct 2, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #3,706 of 7,021

beerchug.gif

I'm already impressed by the FA-4E. The Cardas, not so much.

Interesting. I corresponded with someone who has the AS-2 and had the Cardas EM5813. The person sold the Cardas because it sounded very similar to the AS-2. The person also noted that the Cardas is very tip dependent. Have you tried any other tips so far?

Oct 2, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #3,707 of 7,021
That's because you haven't run the clarifier app on it yet.
wink.gif

I think what I need is the dehumidifier app.

Interesting. I corresponded with someone who has the AS-2 and had the Cardas EM5813. The person sold the Cardas because it sounded very similar to the AS-2. The person also noted that the Cardas is very tip dependent. Have you tried any other tips so far?

The Cardas is even midbass heavier than the ASG-2, but also sounds a lot fuzzier in comparison. Less refinement, less detail, less treble.

I'm using the ortofons, but I'll play around with tips this weekend.

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #3,708 of 7,021
Curious about the FA-4. Muzak said they'd straight up floor some people, with a speaker like presentation. What's the general sig of that phone like?

Oct 2, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #3,710 of 7,021
Curious about the FA-4. Muzak said they'd straight up floor some people, with a speaker like presentation. What's the general sig of that phone like?

Yes, I guess coming from phones like the W4, GR07, etc. 

It has a similar-ish sig to the 1p2, in that it has flat mids, extended bass, and good (but ever so slightly tizzy) treble.

I was more skeptical on the build of the FA...how is it. Good luck on the exam.

I don't have it with me at the library atm. I'll comment more later in the week/

Oct 3, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #3,711 of 7,021
ok Eke, take your time with them and report back when ready.

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #3,712 of 7,021
The real candies:

:D

Oct 3, 2013 at 7:54 AM Post #3,713 of 7,021

beerchug.gif

I'm already impressed by the FA-4E. The Cardas, not so much.

Are the Cardas brand new eke, or a pair on tour that's been burned-in quite a bit? I wasn't hugely impressed with mine when I first got it, but after several hours of burn-in I'm in love with the sound. It's up there with the ASG-2 to me (may be more spacious with more details). I know it may sound very warm if it is brand new, but trust me when I say it will clear up beautifully. Right now it's my favorite universal, period.

Oct 3, 2013 at 8:07 AM Post #3,714 of 7,021

The Cardas is even midbass heavier than the ASG-2, but also sounds a lot fuzzier in comparison. Less refinement, less detail, less treble.

I'm using the ortofons, but I'll play around with tips this weekend.

Hmm? I actually find the ASG-2 to have more mid-bass (I'm a huge fan, by the way of the ASG-2 and AS-2). And I fine the Cardas to be more refined and have more detail. The treble is a bit more smoothed out in the Cardas, but it's there with great extension. But that's the key right there, you do have to tip roll with the E5813. It's very tip dependent and depth dependent too. I've found the UE900 tips works best for me with the Cardas. After that, the TF10 silicons work nicely. You need a very wide bore tip to get the full sound out of the Cardas (it's nozzle  is wide also). If you use a tip that restricts that nozzle in any way, you aren't going to get the fullest and most detailed sound that the Cardas has to offer. And it will change the sound of the earphone. I'm telling you eke (and you and I love the Aursionic top of the line about the same - I may actually love it even more than you), the Cardas is something special dude. I feel those who weren't satisfied with it upon hearing it didn't spend enough time finding out what tips work best with it and they didn't burn it in. It changes significantly with burn-in. 

I know DannyBai got on your high-end tour and heard many of the $1000 plus earphones circulating, but he has the Cardas and has noticed the significant changes with burn-in and tip rolling too. Now, I'm not suggesting that DannyBai thinks the Cardas beats any of those $1000 plus earphones (I don't know what he thinks regarding that actually), but I know he was lukewarm on the Cardas initially but now has changed his views.

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #3,715 of 7,021
For me the Cardas worked fine with the Ortofon tips, I did get a deep seal with them.
Eke may have to use different tips. He has my pair, and they sounded fine to me. Could it also be the source?

Oct 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #3,716 of 7,021
  For me the Cardas worked fine with the Ortofon tips, I did get a deep seal with them.
Eke may have to use different tips. He has my pair, and they sounded fine to me. Could it also be the source?

Yeah, I think source could play a part too.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #3,717 of 7,021
It has a -15db scoop from 6k to 10k and beyond, so that's going to explain most impressions. That's significantly less treble than the asg-2 and will make the cardas +15db bass boost seem even larger. I'm sure a bright source and wide bore tips will help some but a 30db swing is huge.

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #3,718 of 7,021
It has a -15db scoop from 6k to 10k and beyond, so that's going to explain most impressions. That's significantly less treble than the asg-2 and will make the cardas +15db bass boost seem even larger. I'm sure a bright source and wide bore tips will help some but a 30db swing is huge.

Oh well. These charts hardly ever coincide with the way I actually hear various earphones, but to each his or her own. I love the sound of the Cardas (as reflected in my signature). Now, the AGS-2 does have two BA tweeters in it, but I still hear quite a bit of treble in the Cardas.

Oct 3, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #3,720 of 7,021

The graph definitely doesn't look promising but I have read from a few reviews so far that it has a sound sig that grows on you over time. I ended up up ordering them and will hear what the fuss is about.

I have been listening to the ASG-2's for a few days and man, they rock.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back