[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Sep 29, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #3,661 of 7,021
So people are aloud to hear it differently but if it is not like you three, it is because of a lack of reference? Allow me to lol. I have owned and / or extensively listened to 1plus2, tg334, ie800, Kaede, Miracles, Spiral Ear SE5, MH335DW, Sd3 and several others and still place the 1plus2 among the top3. Sure I have not listened to the ASG2, and totally accept that they are more engaging than the 1plus2 TO SOME, but several others who still prefer the 1plus2 do not necessarily LACK THE BASELINE. I found that very condescending.

Relax.

A person's baseline is an extremely important thing when judging any new iem. I spent a month and a half with the Etymotoc HF5. My ASG-2 sounded almost like crap when I got it back. Given that he hasn't heard the G2, or some other iems I mention, I maintain that he doesn't have our baseline when we talk about the engagement factor of the 1p2.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #3,662 of 7,021
Relax.

A person's baseline is an extremely important thing when judging any new iem. I spent a month and a half with the Etymotoc HF5. My ASG-2 sounded almost like crap when I got it back. Given that he hasn't heard the G2, or some other iems I mention, I maintain that he doesn't have our baseline when we talk about the engagement factor of the 1p2.

This is probably why I dislike HF5 personally. The insertion depth and the diffuse field tuning just doesn't meld well with me considering my headphone history. Perhaps I could get used to it, but I feel like I'd rather get something that wouldn't give me an ear ache in the process. 

Sep 29, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #3,663 of 7,021

This is probably why I dislike HF5 personally. The insertion depth and the diffuse field tuning just doesn't meld well with me considering my headphone history. Perhaps I could get used to it, but I feel like I'd rather get something that wouldn't give me an ear ache in the process. 

I think it's worth it. The HF5's price/performance is probably the best out there. Detail and refinement are top notch. The adjustment period is a small price to pay for the sound and isolation, and you get used to the fit after a while.

Sep 30, 2013 at 3:06 AM Post #3,664 of 7,021
I have to disagree on the engaging factor. The 1Plus2 happens to be one of the most engaging IEMs I've heard to date. Probably is in total. Where at times I even found myself getting tired due to there being so much being presented in such a fast pace. Not that this is bad. But it's like being on a roller coaster on crack. Now if an IEM can present so much where you can have a hard time keeping up yourself lol. I don't see how that isn't very engaging. Quite the opposite actually. There's so much it presents there's no way it could not be. Now if you are referring to intimacy. Well that's another story. I do agree that on the 1Plus2 you are an observer in a sense. But the realism it presents is like you are there live and a part of that performance. Its very much an emotional IEM. But it's approach is quite different from say the Flat 4.

Sep 30, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #3,665 of 7,021
Do you guys like nachos? I think they're pretty tasty.

Eke, looking forward to your FA-4E impressions.
Vwinter, thanks for linking the 1plus2 graph. Right when I pulled it up a glass shattered on my night stand. Weird...

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #3,666 of 7,021
  I have to disagree on the engaging factor. The 1Plus2 happens to be one of the most engaging IEMs I've heard to date. Probably is in total. Where at times I even found myself getting tired due to there being so much being presented in such a fast pace. Not that this is bad. But it's like being on a roller coaster on crack. Now if an IEM can present so much where you can have a hard time keeping up yourself lol. I don't see how that isn't very engaging. Quite the opposite actually. There's so much it presents there's no way it could not be. Now if you are referring to intimacy. Well that's another story. I do agree that on the 1Plus2 you are an observer in a sense. But the realism it presents is like you are there live and a part of that performance. Its very much an emotional IEM. But it's approach is quite different from say the Flat 4.

Lee, come on.... what is good for us might not be good for another dude.... i am pretty much Ok if someone does not like 1p2.

now you want to know why? because if everyone will want 1p2 then prices will go up.... we must actually control the situation since we do not want price shoot stratospheric, yeah... right?
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

seriously, guys, IEMs are for pleasure, audio gear is for pleasure.... there is no point battling or defending something. 1p2 sonic perfection can defend itself well enough good.

there are many great IEMs so if someone likes ASG2 or FitEar or RDB this is fine too.
the fact that 1p2 are so often discussed on other IEMs threads shows how good 1p2 must be.... otherwise you would not even remember its name.
and i am perfectly fine with someone bashing 1p2 because i saw similar things happen about Naim gear, Bladelius gear, SF gear and you name it.... popularity always has its own cost side. 
wink_face.gif

but... but.... is NOT this ASG2 thread??? and why we talking not ASG? 
eek.gif

which btw deserves big talk because ASG2 is really great IEM which can give you many hours of happy music listening.

Sep 30, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #3,668 of 7,021

Having sang and played numerous musical instruments in orchestras, bands and choirs from the age of 5 I tend to use real life as my baseline.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:11 AM Post #3,669 of 7,021
Lee, frankly speaking personal impressions will always differ since preferences and ears differ. we are different and so are our impressions.

for me personally 1p2 ticked all boxes... but i could see why James444 preferred his K3003. we listened to both and had a very pleasant exchange and i well could see points James made. we had high opinion of both K3003 and 1p2 but some important subtleys made me pick 1p2 while James kept his K3003 for very valid reason.

same applies to ASG2 which is really very interesting IEM and a special one. it will not fit all genres but there are areas where ASG2 champions with ease. take vocals, truly intimate and seductive and makes you believe as IF this is not singer but you are singing. are they perfect? perhaps not... but are they enjoyable and worth the price? you can bet a ranch on positive answer because ASG2 is indeed highly enjoyable and worth every penny and much more.

NB: i would never accept rubbish about K3003 or 1p2 or ASG2 because i listened to all of them and i found all of them to be very worth and highly entertaining. in my opinion K3003 and 1p2 tuning is closer to each other than you can imagine while ASG2 stands apart offering something else. still i would be glad to own any of them and all of them if could convince myself to spend so much money on IEMs.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #3,670 of 7,021
Of course they will Gintiras. You're not telling me anything I already don't know here :). He posted his opinion on the matter and I posted mine :). If it really makes you feel better then I simply agree to disagree lol.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #3,671 of 7,021

Having sang and played numerous musical instruments in orchestras, bands and choirs from the age of 5 I tend to use real life as my baseline.

yes and no... some people would object overly aggressive stage impact, some others like it... smooth vs. attack, impact vs. subtleys, accuracy vs. ramble.... there are many aspects you have to choose from so playing an instrument will be not enough to form a decision since live sound and reproduction are not 1:1 matching and long time stage impact will be tiresome on your ears.

Sep 30, 2013 at 6:22 AM Post #3,672 of 7,021
Lee, lol here 2 
etysmile.gif

i am now worried about gear bug hunting me all over again... so let me talk down my humble self a bit 
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2013 at 7:28 AM Post #3,673 of 7,021

yes and no... some people would object overly aggressive stage impact, some others like it... smooth vs. attack, impact vs. subtleys, accuracy vs. ramble.... there are many aspects you have to choose from so playing an instrument will be not enough to form a decision since live sound and reproduction are not 1:1 matching and long time stage impact will be tiresome on your ears.

Ok, so seeing as being a musician doesn't seem to be enough for you I'll give you a little more of my background in audio. I've been involved in high-end audio for almost 30 years, I've worked at a few high-end audio shops and I worked for a high-end speaker manufacturer as well. I also went to college for audio engineering so I think I've got a bit of experience in audio reproduction as well. That said, I still maintain that my personal baseline is real life, after all that's the objective with high-end audio, to recreate the real world experience.

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #3,674 of 7,021

Ok, so seeing as being a musician doesn't seem to be enough for you I'll give you a little more of my background in audio. I've been involved in high-end audio for almost 30 years, I've worked at a few high-end audio shops and I worked for a high-end speaker manufacturer as well. I also went to college for audio engineering so I think I've got a bit of experience in audio reproduction as well. That said, I still maintain that my personal baseline is real life, after all that's the objective with high-end audio, to recreate the real world experience.

And I've been playing instruments since I was 6. My undergrad college had an amazing music department that put on concertos and operas every week. I've produced musical events, and I've been a singer all my life. The ASG-2 reminds me of all of that, but the 1p2 didn't. I made a comment earlier about listening to Adele's 21 on the G2 vs 1p2, and how the G2 just sounded more realistic to me with the pianos and vocals.

I'm not saying you're wrong. After James' little graph that showed the variances in how people hear, I tend not to argue little points like timbre and engagement anymore. I've already said that the 1p2 is world class, it's just not for me.

Sep 30, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #3,675 of 7,021
James graph is misleading as the same study shows another graph that shows little variance when faced with more data. 

Even a layman can know what sounds good, no need for credentials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back