[REVIEW] Aurisonics ASG-2 & 2.5 (with many comparisons)
Aug 5, 2013 at 2:10 AM Post #2,491 of 7,021
Quote:
That sucks... Maybe a portable amp with a low output impedance? Ideally less than 1 but less than 2 should be more than fine.I know, not exactly ideal. But I'm sure there's at least a few tiny and cheap ones that would be just fine in a pinch such as this.

You could even use thin Dual Lock tape to make it a clean looking connection.

I really like the idea of having just one pair of IEM that is a great all rounder. Also I feel that the seal on the ASG-2 isn't as great as other IEMs out there. I work in a lab and when I'm around some of the machines, I can hear them (with the silicone tips mostly, its much less noticeable with the foam tips). Contemplating the JH16 as that will fix the isolation issue, and I think the BA drivers for the bass will get rid of the excessive (in my opinion) bass and midbass present in some songs but all songs. There's a lot to love about these and I can see why there's so much rave about them. It just may not be the perfect match for me, but I still wouldn't mind owning and using them.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #2,492 of 7,021
Quote:
Thanks for the reply guys, I know that I can find good deals around me to accommodate my budget and if it is over budget I will just wait for the next t payday to get it. I enjoyed the asg-2 alot but felt that there could be less bass just a bit less at sometimes I used the eq in my ak100 and lower the bass a bit and that helped alot, something along that line the sound sig of what eke has said seems to be the direction I was heading but I don't mind a better "quality" from the tg334 since its was 5-10°/ and I am a little out off by the 1+2 build quality remarks and hope not to dwell into customs as my reseller tf10 and ue 11 has left a scar on me
I feel ciem are more difficult to put on and have lots of risk like misfit etc , so far now the ie800 looks like a contender but I am feeling very unsure about it, as this will be my most expensive single expense ~

Didn't a like new one just sold on here for $700 like 2 weeks ago? maybe $750? Might be able to find it cheaper than you think if you look on the forum here.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #2,493 of 7,021
Quote:

For one I was with Steve for more than an hour and secondly it was quiet where we were auditioning. It was inside his office. You do have a point that it's not necessarily enough time to have spent with said gear but I walked away with the same impressions Anaxilous and Purrin had on the 334s. I think it's safe to say I heard what they heard.

The reason I mentioned the SE5s is because I trust Purrin enough to take his graphs and his opinion on them into consideration when deciding to make a purchase. Especially a very expensive one where I cannot sell them if I don't like them. Pretty much the trust is there.

You wanted proof so I linked you to the threads. Otherwise I'm sure you'd ask for evidence regardless to try and get your point across as usual :wink:.

(**apologies for the off-topic post)

I see you edited your post after my response (I'd only responded to the last paragraph). I'll now respond to the first two paragraphs.

Once again you say you spent more than an hour with the 334s; only two months ago you claimed it was over two hours. I had to find one of your posts from 9.5 months ago (below) where you stated "I had less than an hour with them and also distractions". Here's the exchange you and I had only two months ago in a different thread where I had to re-post that post from last year:

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_4321 

This is cravenz' thread and out of respect to him (and those following this thread) I won't respond to so many things you said in your post — it would make you look worse.

I will say one thing, though, in reference to the highlighted text above: I know because it was you yourself who said it.

I'm sure music. Only in your mind that is :wink:. For the record I was with Steve for over 2 hours from what I recall. That's more than "less than an hour" technically :p. We'd have extended or music session if not for other obligations.

The two posts below were written 7.5 months ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee730 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokyung 

That short paragraph? Seemed like an impression to me. I was hoping Lee could do a quick comparisons since he heard both.

It's really hard to make fair comparisons as I had less than an hour with them and also distractions. But from what I heard I liked them but still didn't find them better than my Tralucents. I'll say there seemed to be slightly more treble energy (not much but just a tad) bass was still in nice quantity but lacks the presence/authority of the Tralucents. The sound stage was smaller as well in comparison. The mids were neutral, a tad more upfront. The Tralucents vocals are more spacious, thicker. Overall I was surprised at how thick (condensed) the 334s sounded. Not that it was a negative but wasn't expecting that.

Now you say, "I walked away with the same impressions Anaxilous and Purrin had on the 334s. I think it's safe to say I heard what they heard." Like I said, the way you've been describing the 334s for the last 10 months or so—being the most prolific poster in the long 334 thread, btw, having spent less than an hour with the FitEras(!!)—does not seem to match Anaxilus & purrin's impressions. From such a short audition in less than ideal circumstances you have several times described them differently (changed your tune, so to speak), and only in the last 4 months or so you've stuck to the same 'sonic impressions' without having ever heard those phones again. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #2,494 of 7,021
Quote:
Actually I would like to know this as well. The TF334 seems ridiculously priced and the ie800 isn't the sound I'm looking for. The akg k3003 seems to be out too and the 1plus2 is pretty pricey also.

You also have to factor in how vastly different the sound signatures are of the IEMs you mention.

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #2,495 of 7,021
Quote:

(**apologies for the off-topic post)

I see you edited your post after my response (I'd only responded to the last paragraph). I'll now respond to the first two paragraphs.

Once again you say you spent more than an hour with the 334s; only two months ago you claimed it was over two hours. I had to find one of your posts from 9.5 months ago (below) where you stated "I had less than an hour with them and also distractions". Here's the exchange you and I had only two months ago in a different thread where I had to re-post that post from last year:

Now you say, "I walked away with the same impressions Anaxilous and Purrin had on the 334s. I think it's safe to say I heard what they heard." Like I said, the way you've been describing the 334s for the last 10 months or so—being the most prolific poster in the long 334 thread, btw, having spent less than an hour with the FitEras(!!)—does not seem to match Anaxilus & purrin's impressions. From such a short audition in less than ideal circumstances you have several times described them differently (changed your tune, so to speak), and only in the last 4 months or so you've stuck to the same 'sonic impressions' without having ever heard those phones again. 

The distractions stemmed from the workers in the other room. I felt a bit bad to be demoing gear at his workplace.

How are my impressions different from theirs? They both founds issues with the bass and treble (to my knowledge at least). So did I. 

Aug 5, 2013 at 2:46 AM Post #2,496 of 7,021
Don't want to add anything to the bickering going on here, just saying some of it might have been avoided by actually reading Rin's blog.

Right there, at the bottom of his main page, you can find an extensive disclosure of his test condition:

It's easy to see, he's pretty transparent about his measuring equipment and procedure, right up to the noise level in his room.

Oh, and there are in fact several international standards involved, listed here with direct links for those interested:

- IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) 60318-4

ITU-T (International Telecommunication Union) Recommendation P.58

- ISO (International Organization for Standardization) ISO 11904-2

For those who want to dig even deeper, Rin has also evaluated his own test setup agaist those of Innerfidelity, Phonak and Etymotic Research:

Evaluating-accuracy-of-my-new-simulator.html

EURI's-accuracy-compared-to-other.html

I consider myself rather an interested reader than an expert in these things, but the impression I've been getting is that measurements are pretty reliable and repeatable, if conducted carefully and in a standardized environment. However, whether anyone will actually hear a tested pair of IEMs similarly to the dummy head, is an entirely different question, which I've tried to touch on in some of my previous posts. 
smile_phones.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #2,497 of 7,021
I can't sleep :frowning2:

James, I'm liking you more and more mate. Very nice post.

We are friends and there's nothing you can do about that... Well, sep for telling me we are infact not friends, to which I would respond, but why!

I've PM'ed others about this but can you comment or PM me regarding the following? I would also like your understanding of it.

The 2013 ones:
http://seanolive.blogspot.com/?m=1

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/harman-researchers-make-important-headway-understanding-headphone-response

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:43 AM Post #2,498 of 7,021
James, beware, Unity is about to fall in love with ... You!!! :-D

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:49 AM Post #2,499 of 7,021
Frankly speaking this thread went off track and i begin to see the point when someone says that charts will send this forum to hell.

For what is worth i doubt charts very much and let me tell you why.

Same as with IEMs there are charts for loudspeakers sometimes supplied with documentation. And you will be very much surrpised that often different loudspeakers commanding same graph characteristic sound soooo different that makes them world aparts. Graphs can tell some tech characteristic but hardly can describe sound per se.

Also i can repeat it again and again, craving for just neutral sound is often a mistake because in the end we all want coloration. Achieving life like sound in living space without coloration might be impossible or dull unless your premises command first class acoustics.

And James will be subjected to 100 hours vinyl listen for his graph story :))))))))))

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #2,500 of 7,021

Hush hush G before you make him think I'm the obsessive compulsive type. Now go away, James is mine! I found him first!

Now then, James.... We both know how this is going to end.

Aug 5, 2013 at 4:56 AM Post #2,501 of 7,021
Bwahahaha... Unity, thanks for great good laughs.. But sorry mate James is mine, i still have to educate in him in vinyl and analogue. :)))))))

Have great weekend, i am soon off to higher mountains without connection.

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:05 AM Post #2,502 of 7,021
Well... I only sleep for bout 1 hour. My eyes are not happy with me right now. (T_T)

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:22 AM Post #2,503 of 7,021
Quote:

Quote:
And James will be subjected to 100 hours vinyl listen for his graph story :))))))))))

Quote:
Hush hush G before you make him think I'm the obsessive compulsive type. Now go away, James is mine! I found him first!

Quote:
Bwahahaha... Unity, thanks for great good laughs.. But sorry mate James is mine, i still have to educate in him in vinyl and analogue. :)))))))

eek.gif

unsubscribed. 
tongue.gif

Aug 5, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #2,505 of 7,021
Don't want to add anything to the bickering going on here, just saying some of it might have been avoided by actually reading Rin's blog.

Right there, at the bottom of his main page, you can find an extensive disclosure of his test condition:

It's easy to see, he's pretty transparent about his measuring equipment and procedure, right up to the noise level in his room.

Oh, and there are in fact several international standards involved, listed here with direct links for those interested:

- IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) 60318-4

ITU-T (International Telecommunication Union) Recommendation P.58

- ISO (International Organization for Standardization) ISO 11904-2

For those who want to dig even deeper, Rin has also evaluated his own test setup agaist those of Innerfidelity, Phonak and Etymotic Research:

Evaluating-accuracy-of-my-new-simulator.html

EURI's-accuracy-compared-to-other.html

I consider myself rather an interested reader than an expert in these things, but the impression I've been getting is that measurements are pretty reliable and repeatable, if conducted carefully and in a standardized environment. However, whether anyone will actually hear a tested pair of IEMs similarly 
to the dummy head, is an entirely different question, which I've tried to touch on in some of my previous posts. 
smile_phones.gif

I see you noticed the same exact sentence I did and beat me to posting this, albeit much more thoroughly.

:eek:  ...

unsubscribed. 
tongue.gif

You can run but you can't hide.

pepe-le-pew.png

Though I have a feeling it will end something like this:

Le-Echo-Point-pepe-le-pew-3267986-800-600.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back