Review: Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 digital upsampling headphone
Mar 29, 2004 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

bangraman

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=medium]Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 Review[/size]

The ATH-D1000 is digital-only phone, which takes an optical TOSLINK signal, upsamples it to 96khz, amps it and plays it back.

d1k-fr.jpg

I bought it as a gimmick given my A-T completist leanings. I was intrigued at how a digital upsampling phone would sound, and have to say I was in all honesty not expecting much. Opening the package revealed the very familiar ATH A-series lines with the exception of the battery compartment on top of the ‘3D Wings’ and the buttons on the side. Unlike the A900+ models by the way, the earcups are plastic. Tapping the earcups I was a bit disappointed. I expected at least the A900 build of alloy. I consoled myself with the thought that plastic it may be, but it's a very high quality level of finish. The earpads are the HP-A900, exactly the same as the A500-A900.

The phone ships with a mini TOSLINK to TOSLINK cable. You can use this to connect directly to a deck with an optical out. You can also use the phone with portable, but you’ll need a mini TOSLINK – mini TOSLINK cable. As I said, the phone upsamples the signal to 96khz before squirting it through a digital amp and then through an D-A converter. I have no idea how the upsampling affects the sound, as there’s no way to turn it off. Audio-Technica quotes a BTL digital amp. The phone works with 44.1, 48 and 32khz signals. The phone is powered by 2 AAA Ni-Mh rechargeable batteries which are charged in approx 2.5 hours by the included, very neat world-voltage AAA/AA charger.

d1ksdins.jpg
d1kcs.jpg

Comfort wise, the phones are in line with the A-T A-series. That's to be expected since the chassis is the same as the A900. It’s very good for a closed phone, although those in hot climates may feel that it’s a little too enclosed for their needs.

Getting back to the looks and materials, cosmetically this phone is even less than the A900. It seems that what you get for your money over the A900 is the ‘custom-developed for D1000’ driver, the added electronics and the battery charger. $650 for a nearly all-plastic phone… The dissatisfaction was mounting by the time I put them on my head.

Using a $30 Sony mini-to-mini cable I hooked it up to the digital source I had handy at the time (the iRiver iMP-550), turned it on (the on button requires a ‘double-click’) and pressed play.

As I said I wasn’t expecting much.
My next words were: “Holy ****”.

What I definitely was not expecting was a technical performance that’s just a couple of notches below W2002/RS-1 with middle-class amping. And that’s out of an iRiver to start with.

The soundstaging on the D1000 could be described as ‘headphones realistic’… with most sounds circling your circling your head, not too far away but well separated. On upbeat tracks, the bass is fairly tight, very punchy, elastic and definitely there, providing a driving compliment to the higher frequencies but never overriding it. This is the first new generation A-T phone on which I’ve heard the “DADS” (Dynamic Air Damping System, or Got To Think Of A Marketing BS Acronym That’s Not Been Used Before) being implemented really well. Kick drums come across as described… with a kick, not a ‘shlup’ like some so-called hi-fi phones. Sometimes there’s a mid-bass balloon that could possibly get in the way of the music, but it never crosses the ‘dum-b-ass’ border. There’s no way to deny that the growling bass in “Battle Without Honor Or Humanity” adds to the casual menace of this track and that the kick drums in “Like I Love You” are very effectively rendered. But the midrange and treble is the really killer part of this phone. As far as I can see, there’s nothing wrong with it. It’s neither recessed nor emphasised and it’s done with a beguiling sense of smoothness while retaining plenty of detail. You will not find a trace of sibilance unless it’s in the recording. This comes to the fore in the Vengerov and Singh recording. It attacks when called upon but is otherwise incredibly well-tempered.

The overriding nature of this phone is a ‘natural’ sound. What the hell is a ‘natural’ sound? Transparent, bright-ish yet without a trace of added sibilance, decent but not ultra-wide staging, and a low end fully capable of adding weight to a performance. I would call it natural, some others might call it ‘musical’. To me it’s the Stax Omega II / SRM-007t sound. Either way it’s a rendition style that allows the quality of the sounds to be apparent yet for music to flow: for you to be able to ‘listen to the music’ instead of ‘hearing the sounds’. It’s a bit like an old comfy pair of slippers that nevertheless still manages to look new. The sound is quite lively, yet it’s not natively aggressive. Neither is it soporific. And believe it or not, the ATH-D1000 does deliver the general Omega II / SRM-007t sonic signature, albeit without the resolution (and therefore less of that transparency). However that's not to say that the phone lacks in transparency given general dynamic phone performance: Poor recordings are exposed for what they are.

Is it worth it? To me an AKG K271S ($180) with a Ray Samuels XP-7 ($500) and a $50 interconnect is technically infinitesimally inferior to the ATH-D1000 and a $30 Sony optical cable, while the D1000 is musically considerably superior. There’s obviously no provision for opamp-rolling and whatever to play with the sound, but I don’t believe there’s any need to play with it. It’s very good the way it is.

So, it’s an upsampling DAC, amp and excellent phone all-in-one, at a price that’s below what you’d expect to pay for such a combination. If you’re looking at building from scratch with a discount-store mid-fi home deck and don’t expect to upgrade for a while, you could do a lot worse and spend a lot more than simply pairing it with the ATH-D1000. Even better if you own a Discman with optical out… these will really pep up the sound and more importantly be far more portable than dragging an XP-7 (or equivalent) around with you.

While the exact ‘value for money’ quotient is out to the jury for these phones, I think that the phones give a polished and hugely entertaining performance, and the DAC-amp in these phones really work. The sonic performance makes it definitely a master and not a jack of all trades, and it can definitely punch with the best of amp+phone combinations in this price range. In my opinion, the all-rounder phone market has a new, unique and very serious contender in the shape of the ATH-D1000.

d1ka-as.jpg

[size=xx-small]

Audio-Technica ATH-D1000
Type: Dynamic Stereo Headphone, Closed
Driver: 53mm Neodymium magnet, CCAW voice coil
Efficiency: 105db/mw (JEITA)
Frequency Response: 5hz ~ 35khz
Power: DC2.4V (Ni-Mh AAA) / DC3V (Alkaline AAA)
Endurance: 8 hours approx on Ni-Mh, 10 hours approx on Alkaline
Maximum output level: 42mw + 42mw (1khz, digital 0db input, 32 ohm load)
Input format: PCM @ 32/44.1/48khz
Weight: 350g approx not including cable or batteries
Accessories supplied: 2 AAA Ni-Mh batteries, recharger, mini TOSLINK - TOSLINK optical digital cable (3m)
Replacement earpad: HP-A900

Test tracks:
Justin Timberlake: Like I Love You
Salif Keita: Madan
Niggaz With Attitude: Real Niggaz Don’t Die
Vengerov plays Bach Shchedrin Ysaye: Toccata and Fugue for organ in D minor, BWV 565
Cold: End of the World
Susumu Yokota: Love Bird
Bruce Hornsby: Fields of Gray
Pavement: Texas Never Whispers
A. Scarlatti: Madrigali – O Morte
Frank Sinatra: I Get A Kick Out of You
Dido: All You Want
Tomoyasu Hotei: Battle Without Honor Or Humanity
Bomb the Bass: Dynamite Beats
Wayne Shorter: Fee-Fi-Fo-Fum
Talvin Singh: OK
The Superjesus: Gravity
Dmitri Shostakovich: Piano Concerto No.1 in C Minor - Allegro con brio
Neneh Cherry, Youssou N'Dour: 7 seconds

* All tracks from original CD's.

Test Equipment:
Sony SCD-XA777ES http://www.stereophile.com/digitalsourcereviews/491/
Sony D-NE900 http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/audio/wal...318&KM=D-NE900
iRiver iMP-550 http://www.iriveramerica.com/products/iMP-550.asp
MOTU 828 Mk II http://www.motu.com/english/motuaudio/828/body.html

Phone compared with:
Stax Omega II w/SRM-007t, Chord Anthem interconnect
AKG K271S w/Ray Samuels XP-7, IXOS silver-grade RCA-mini interconnect
[/size]

Mar 29, 2004 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 18
Very good.Thanks!!!!

Mar 29, 2004 at 8:38 PM Post #5 of 18
Thanks for taking the plunge, b-man. Very nice, yet concise review. Much appreciated.

More options....

cool.gif

Mar 29, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #7 of 18
Excellent review as always bangraman. Very interesting little set of headphones with a typical AT twist on what is on the market. To my knowledge there are no other similar cans, aiding to the AT image of releasing products that are quite good and cutting edge. Thanks for sharing the info with us on these cans.

Mar 29, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #8 of 18
Thanks all. It's always a major undertaking forcing myself to do a review, but I thought these were worth it, even if it's a fairly short one. Personally I don't like reading through reams of text so I kept it fairly short and tried to condense my experiences with a very wide range of music into as few words as possible. Feel free to ask anything else I haven't mentioned.

Quoted battery life with Ni-Mh cells is 8 hours (look in the specs section after the review proper) which is probably quite accurate. I'm using my own Ni-Mh cells at the moment and the set I've just swapped out is probably getting a bit old, it just seems to lose charge quite quickly... probably got 4~5 hours or so out of that. Either way it's not proprietary so it's easy to replace. I've got in the habit of leaving the battery covers off when I'm at home, saves that extra 2 seconds opening the compartment
tongue.gif

I have to say this could be my favourite phones in an overall sense of late. Not only are these semi-portable for use with a PCDP (and whatever qualms I might have about the iRiver iMP-550 as analog source, it's a pretty good digital source) I can stick these into practically anything with a TOSLINK socket and get pretty reliable results... it puts an end to a lot of source/amp variables. And it does sound good, period... no excuses about the amount of electronics in it, etc.

I wasn't anticipating these to assist with my source / phone rationalisation. But the D1000 is a phone I can use in almost any situation with the equipment I've decided to keep / buy anew so I'm happy at the way things have worked out. In terms of HDD players, I'm missing optical-out capability so I might just have to get myself an iHP-series. Sigh, always something new to buy eh?

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 18
Bangraman,

Good writeup. The Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 digital upsampling
headphone seems like an alternative to taking the usual route of
source -> headphone_amp -> headphones for audio bliss. (Since
there is a High quality digital amplifier built-in to the housing of
the headphones.)

How does the Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 sound compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-A900?

You plugged the ATH-D1000 into the optical out of the iRiver
iMP-550. How loud do you have the iMP-550? (Do you have the
EQ disabled?) Do you have the volume at max? How easy are
these headphones to drive using a source with an optical out?
How does the sound change when plugging the headphone into
the (analog) earphone out plug? (I know there are alot questions.)
smily_headphones1.gif

You stated: "it can definitely punch with the best of amp+phone
combinations in this price range." Can you give an example,
maybe a setup it beats with the particular components that you
have.

How would you rank the Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 digital
upsampling headphone as compared to other Audiophile
headphones like the Sen HD650, and/or Sony CD3000?

Based on your review I would love to utilize this headphone
through an optical out audio source also (iRiver iHP), so I am
very interested to hear more reporting about your findings.

Thanks!

600smile.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #11 of 18
Now THAT was a QUALITY review. Reading the opinions of a weathered veteran head-fier like yourself really gives the reader a good feeling about taking the plunge in buying these. Granted, most people who are taking the plunge for a pair of headphones over $650 are most likely veteran head-fiers themselves, but it does give a great sense of reassurance when killing your wallet.

Honestly, I think some of the people in here should be writing reviews like these for a living. Great stuff.

Enjoy the cans!

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2004 at 6:24 AM Post #12 of 18
Thanks for the great review Bagraman, your review has gotten me more interested in obtaining a pair. But first I'm try and scrap up enough cash for the $629 price tag. Ouch!

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:08 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by rab10
How does the Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 sound compared to the Audio-Technica ATH-A900?

In short, a lot clearer. It's definitely on a different level from the A900. I know this although I don't have the A900 anymore simply because when I went from the W2002 to the A900 before, there was a huge loss in clarity. With the W2002 to D1000 jump, there is no such loss.

Quote:

You plugged the ATH-D1000 into the optical out of the iRiver
iMP-550. How loud do you have the iMP-550? (Do you have the
EQ disabled?) Do you have the volume at max? How easy are
these headphones to drive using a source with an optical out?
How does the sound change when plugging the headphone into
the (analog) earphone out plug? (I know there are alot questions.)
smily_headphones1.gif

As you yourself mentioned, these phones have a built-in amp. Therefore the volume is not dependent on the source. The iMP does however have the EQ stage incorporated before the optical output and therefore changes like turning on 3D mode will be heard in the phones. My advice is to stick to the normal mode.

Quote:

You stated: "it can definitely punch with the best of amp+phone
combinations in this price range." Can you give an example,
maybe a setup it beats with the particular components that you
have.

I've tried the DT250-80, K271, HD25-1 and HFI-650 with the XP-7. The best out of that list would be the K271 + XP-7 and the D1000 will very slightly best the combination in terms of technical capability while being quite a bit better to listen to from a musical point of view.

Quote:

How would you rank the Audio-Technica ATH-D1000 digital
upsampling headphone as compared to other Audiophile
headphones like the Sen HD650, and/or Sony CD3000?

I haven't owned the HD650. It's a different phone to the CD3000, and I would say that it's nearly on a par technically with the CD3000 with decent tube amping (which would add up to a lot more than $630). The real niceness of the D1000 as I said from a musical point of view is the almost total lack of phone-induced harshness. So I would rank something like the CD3000 + RKV a little higher than the D1000 from the point of view of ultimate ability, but being honest I would probably prefer to listen to the D1000.

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:15 PM Post #14 of 18
stop praising the ATH-D1000 so much, it is making me want it more and more.
biggrin.gif
if it is on par with the ATH-W2002, it would be a nice pair of cans to get since I would rather not take my wooden AT cans outside, where something like the ATH-D1000 (non-limited model, lack of any wood varnish I have to worry about not scratching) I can and would do so freely.

my AT can collection may grow this summer, hopefully I'll find some nice deals in japan.

thanks again for the review.

are there any modifications to the DAC inside the headphone that may be possible? maybe upgrades of a few of the components may be of use.

Mar 30, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bangraman
It's always a major undertaking forcing myself to do a review, (...)

Hah - I know that feeling all too well...
wink.gif
Anyway, thanks for the successful effort. The outcome seems fairly informative and entertaining to me. Apparently, that A-T - even if rather expensive - at least belongs to the positive examples of expensive gimmicks (= the ones that are worth the price). I'd think, though, A-T would still have a nice margin, if they sold it for half the price - but they'd have a lot more customers (probably including me
biggrin.gif
)...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back