Review: ATH-M50 vs. HFI-580 (vs. SR-80)
Apr 3, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #106 of 151
so you're sure the 580's are better?

My cousin said the 780's are better, but I've read that the 780's can sound harsh, I'd rather get the 780 because of the 1 meter cable haha but of course I'd rather get better sounding.

-"Out of the box and onto my head they sounded harsh. I immediately took them off, and let them run at a moderate level.

The next day, they still sounded harsh when I put them on for another 30 seconds.

After 96 hours of solid running without my head taking the abuse, I tried them again. Much better. Damn near perfect - for my taste. Harshness gone."

-"From those with the Fiio, I'd probably buy the HFI780."

So for sure the 580's are better?  Cuz I plan to buy them in a couple days

EDIT: I'm going to be using these mostly unamped, sometimes with a fiio e5 when I feel like carrying it around

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:30 PM Post #109 of 151
hmm... i think i'll go with the 580's, heard different responses about the 780's; some people seem to like them, others not at all.
I don't wanna take the chance of not liking them then having to return them.  So will the 580's sound ok unamped? or at least with the fiio e5?  lol I really don't want to solder, I've researched how to and seen many videos, but don't feel comfortable (I don't want a 3 meter long cable).  

Does anyone know any big name stores (like bestbuy, frys, radioshack, etc, not some local store that's only in one area) that solder?

If not, I guess I can try myself. 

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #110 of 151
yeah, 580 sounds great unamped.  Playing it with my Clip+ and my crappy computer soundcard.  I had thought to buy an amp/dac but really.... don't think is needed.  Looking to get the e7/e9 more for when I get better headphones in the future than for my DJ1.  I am just curious how much amp/dac can improve the headphones.

Look at that thread on how to braid the cord - looks pretty cool and probably should have got the HFI 580 just to do that lol

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #111 of 151
Not saying it isn't nice or anything, but I'd rather just shorten the cable haha.

I'm not sure if I'm comfortable doing it myself, as I've never done it before.  I was maybe planning to practice on some old crappy apple headphones or something first haha

Or it'd save me a lot of stress if I could find a local store that could do it for me.

Apr 3, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #112 of 151
to my ears the 780's with plenty of burn time*store demo's* were still harsh as all hell.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #114 of 151
ah alright.  hope you'll get it sorted.

Only other thing I have to say about it is that it needs a bit of burn in time.  probably about 1 and 1/2 day of pink noise before my one started to open up.  And you might want to get DT 250 velour pads to make it more comfortable.  Problem with pleather pads is that extended use will heat up your ears so the velour pads would cool it down.  Saying that I seem to have gotten use to it now and don't notice any more.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #115 of 151
Alright thanks I'll keep that in mind after I buy them lol

I really wish headphone companies would just offer it with a normal sized cable.  At least the brands that offer a straight and coiled version should, since they're already making 2 different cables.

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:21 PM Post #116 of 151
Is it easy to replace the pads on headphones?  Do I just take them off? Or do I have to cut them off, peel them off, etc. 

Haha sorry I don't know a lot about headphones.

What about putting them back on? Just glue them?

Apr 3, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #117 of 151
Neah, suppose to just take them off and replace.  I haven't tried it yet.  There are lots of threads on it and haven't bothered reading them in detail until I get my pads which is coming next week.

Apr 3, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #119 of 151
I have no idea.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/409312/quest-for-non-pleather-780-pads

[size=inherit]
Can you elaborate more on how about doing this? I have a pair of 580 and very much would like to do this as well.

[/size]

It's pretty simple. The pads slip over a lip on the cans. Here is a pic with it partially off. These pads are more oval than the rounder Ultrasone pads.

I just been looking at my one now .. and I dunno how to take my ultrasone pads off. lmao  I probably won't mess around with it until I need to.  
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back