Review: Apogee Mini-DAC vs AQVOX USB 2 D/A MkII vs Stello DA100/HP100 vs Corda Opera
Mar 11, 2007 at 10:59 PM Post #31 of 91
Actually, I just found out that the Opera (3.9 kg) weighs not much more than the Stello HP100 by itself (3.5 kg)!

This means that the transportability of the Opera should be quite a bit better than other options.

Weight

Opera: 3.9 kg
Stello HP100 + Stello DA100: 7.0 kg
Stello HP100 + Bel Canto DAC2: 5.1 kg

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:02 PM Post #32 of 91
Volume

Opera: 6675.3 cm^3
Stello HP100 + Stello DA100: 6762.8 cm^3
Stello HP100 + Bel Canto DAC 2: 5216.7 cm^3

Mar 12, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #33 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, and I consider that a good thing.
tongue.gif

Nope
tongue.gif
I've never heard a full-size can by anyone other than Grado and Sennheiser (and Stax) that I've liked. Everyone has their own ears and preferences, though
wink.gif
(caveat: haven't heard the top tier stuff: K1000, R10, etc.)

JaZZ: Have you ever listend to the HD650's balanced? Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #34 of 91
thanks for the review dude. i'll seriously look into the Stello 100 series... unless i decide to upgrade my home studio too, in that case i'll get the Benchmark ADC1 and DAC1 combo... this has helped though, definitely not enough reviews of the Stello stuff!

Mar 12, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #35 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Elephas /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heh, and I consider that a good thing.
tongue.gif

LOL, well I'm with you there. I've yet to hear Senn or Grado that I enjoy more than the high-end AT's (excepting the HE90, HE60, and HP1000).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing I disagree with is your assessment that the Stello HP100 gives no hiss. In my system at least, it doesn't hiss with full-size cans (e.g. Ultrasone, Grado, Beyer), but there is a very noticeable hiss on my Sensaphonics IEMs when no music is playing.

One possible cause is that I don't have a power conditioner or anything like that. My Stello is simply plugged into the same power strip where I plug in my computer, etc. Maybe that is the cause of the hiss?

I'll give you this one, as since I sold my Shure E5's due to low useage last year, I've not had an uber-efficient IEM around. So it's quite possible something like your Sensas could be picking up some noise that my less efficient UE's aren't.

I forgot to mention it in my review, but I did use all the components in the test with my Monster PC1000, a rudimentary if not reassuring power unit. But I also live way out in the country where there isn't much pollution of the power anyway.

Mar 12, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #36 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JaZZ: Have you ever listend to the HD650's balanced?

I've listened to it through an SFT DynaMight as well as a Benchmark DAC1's and an Apogee MiniDAC's XLR line out.

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #37 of 91
Thanks, JaZZ
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL, well I'm with you there. I've yet to hear Senn or Grado that I enjoy more than the high-end AT's (excepting the HE90, HE60, and HP1000).

I've only heard the A900 and A900ltd. Do the higher-end AT's present the same strange sounding midrange? I thought the A900ltd would have been a good can if the midrange didn't sound so odd, artificial or sucked out.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #38 of 91
Quote:

They're quite close sounding, the difference comes off to me as the Stello sounding slightly more forward and full; whereas the Aqvox MkII is slightly laid-back and drier sounding by comparison. I must underscore the closeness of these differences, it's certainly not a Grado vs. Senn magnitude of difference, even if similar adjectives are used.

Of these three units, the three from my last review, and the DA220, I'd rate the field as:

1a) Stello DA220 / Aqvox MkII / Lavry DA10
1b) Stello DA100
1c) Meier Opera
2) Aqvox MkI
3) Benchmark DAC1 (older version)

The explanation of the ranking is as follows. All the units under the heading "1x," I believe offer similar levels of sound quality (albeit with differing flavors). However, being that the first three have balanced output, they have the potential to be used in a better sounding SYSTEM than the following two. The Opera is further differentiated for its' lack of a true line output. The original Aqvox is demerited slightly for the lack of fine detail and air, along with a somewhat colored midrange, as compared to the top rank. The DAC1 brings up the rear, with issues of treble grain, more limited soundstage, and so on, as I discussed in my other big review.

If one isn't going to have a balanced rig, the DA100 is the best sound for the money of the group, for use as a DAC only. A used DA10 or DAC1 can do well in this regard depending on the price. I think it would be a bit silly to buy the Opera and not use the headphone amp, as to significantly better it, one would need a balanced or tubed amp, depending on preferences. So my picks as a DAC only would be limited to the 1a&1b levels, 1a only if balanced output is needed.

You haven't auditioned the new version of the DAC1? I have the new version of the DAC1.. Too bad you think it's last..
frown.gif
I do agree, the Headphone amp is shi!!y.. It's below the VHP-1 & the Portaphile max by a pretty good margin..But the DAC itself is a noticable improvment over my XDAC3 with PS.. The Opera really seems incredible.. a hi end head amp/dac combo!! But would have cost me 1,200 & no Optical is BS IMO.. Sorry.. a 1,200 Amp/DAC needs optical.. I use my DAC for 360 gaming aswell as music..

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:51 AM Post #39 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by kool bubba ice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You haven't auditioned the new version of the DAC1? I have the new version of the DAC1.. Too bad you think it's last..
frown.gif
I do agree, the Headphone amp is shi!!y.. It's below the VHP-1 & the Portaphile max by a pretty good margin..But the DAC itself is a noticable improvment over my XDAC3 with PS.. The Opera really seems incredible.. a hi end head amp/dac combo!! But would have cost me 1,200 & no Optical is BS IMO.. Sorry.. a 1,200 Amp/DAC needs optical.. I use my DAC for 360 gaming aswell as music..

Well it's not as if I think the DAC1 is a POS, even a Zhaolu!
biggrin.gif
It just had a few minor but noticeable flaws. I can understand how a newer one might rectify those problems, especially in light of the improvements Aqvox made in their DAC in just a year (although it did have more extensive internal changes). Hopefully I can figure out where a current DAC1 stands come the National Meet. I did get about 18 months (maybe it was a bit more) of happy use from my former DAC1, not to mention plenty of miles, and escaping Katrina. The DAC1 will always be a good memory, of my first really high end system.

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #40 of 91
Quote:

biggrin.gif
It just had a few minor but noticeable flaws. I can understand how a newer one might rectify those problems, especially in light of the improvements Aqvox made in their DAC in just a year (although it did have more extensive internal changes). Hopefully I can figure out where a current DAC1 stands come the National Meet. I did get about 18 months (maybe it was a bit more) of happy use from my former DAC1, not to mention plenty of miles, and escaping Katrina. The DAC1 will always be a good memory, of my first really high end system.

I must say that I am at this very moment listening to the DAC-1/HD650 "Iron_Dreamer mod" setup with the HD650s in balanced mode directly off the DAC-1's XLRs via the Zu Mobius, and am very happy that your crazy idea took hold of my wallet! My DAC-1 is newer than yours was (it's silver for one thing) so it might sound a bit better than your "old" one, but I think it sounds pretty darn good. It's certainly turned me into a balanced-rig-believer, that's for sure.

Of course, reading your latest awesome review has left me plotting my next upgrade!

BTW, do you know if Justin is actively in build mode? It seems his GS-X page hasn't been updated since it went up. Any idea how a GS-X would compare with your GL Balanced Reference? I'm still impressed with the build quality of my GL Lite, which I'm now using at work. I think a real balanced amp would be the next logical upgrade for my home rig.

Have you heard the Headroom MicroDac? I think it sounds pretty good; I almost dropped $1K for a DAC for work (I was thinking of the PS Audio DL III) but then I gave my head a shake and only spent $300! You should see my co-worker's eyes bug out when I tell them what my "low-end" work setup costs.

Thanks again for the great review Iron_Dreamer.

Mar 15, 2007 at 5:51 AM Post #41 of 91
Glad to hear you're satisfied, for now!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I think Justin is always building amps, so much so that he rarely has the time to update his website. If you want something of his, it'd be best to just contact him to get an ETA or get on the list.

Soundwise the GSX is very similar to the amp I own, however with the new MOSFET based modules he is working on, the bass is a bit more taught and better controlled yet, especially with hard loads like the K1000. Given that you're using the DAC1 to drive your 650's balanced, a true balanced amp is the next (albeit expensive) step, if one feels the need.

I've only heard the MicroDAC very briefly, just long enough to know that it sounded good, but not long enough to really know just how good. My experience with the PS Audio DAC is likewise. I don't know how much time you have at work to really drift off with the music, but I'd be skeptical that it's enough time to warrant the price difference.

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:47 AM Post #42 of 91
Quote:

biggrin.gif

I know.. I meant the Headamp in the DAC1 is crappy compared to the others on the list.. I hope I made the opera cut..I would love to do A/B with the Opera & DAC1!!
eek.gif
Hell..I might even sell my DAC1 & get a Opera if it impresses me that much..Even without Optical..
eek.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 6:54 AM Post #43 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by OracleGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say that I am at this very moment listening to the DAC-1/HD650 "Iron_Dreamer mod" setup with the HD650s in balanced mode directly off the DAC-1's XLRs via the Zu Mobius, and am very happy that your crazy idea took hold of my wallet! My DAC-1 is newer than yours was (it's silver for one thing) so it might sound a bit better than your "old" one, but I think it sounds pretty darn good. It's certainly turned me into a balanced-rig-believer, that's for sure.

Of course, reading your latest awesome review has left me plotting my next upgrade!

BTW, do you know if Justin is actively in build mode? It seems his GS-X page hasn't been updated since it went up. Any idea how a GS-X would compare with your GL Balanced Reference? I'm still impressed with the build quality of my GL Lite, which I'm now using at work. I think a real balanced amp would be the next logical upgrade for my home rig.

Have you heard the Headroom MicroDac? I think it sounds pretty good; I almost dropped $1K for a DAC for work (I was thinking of the PS Audio DL III) but then I gave my head a shake and only spent $300! You should see my co-worker's eyes bug out when I tell them what my "low-end" work setup costs.

Thanks again for the great review Iron_Dreamer.

Yeah, it's funny.. When I just got into headphones I thought 300 for an amp was crazy..Now I spent almost 500.00 for my BADA12 (including tubes). & last yr I wasn't going to spend over 250.00 for a DAC.. Then bought the Modded GM DAC for 330.00.. DAC3 for 550.00.. Now the DAC1 for 870.00.. Funny or sad..(or Both) I have no problem spending 1,000 or more for an amp.. & don't think it's expensive..Ofcourse when you read about 2 grand & up amps/dacs you get desenatized to the high price..
redface.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #44 of 91
I just bought the Opera yesterday
evil_smiley.gif

I fully agree with you, kool bubba ice! The problem with these "hobbies" (it's more like madness though) is that each purchase can be rationalized within the context of previous purchases.

For example, let's say you've spent $150 on headphones, $200 on an amp, and $200 on a DAC. 3 months later, you're itching for an upgrade, so you get $300 headphones because "hey, I'll just sell the old ones for $120, so I'm just spending $180". Then you get an amp+DAC for $600: "I'll sell the old amp and DAC for $320, so I can get this sweet all-in-one for just $280, what a great deal!". Six months later, you've got $300 cans and a $600 amp+DAC. Then you see some $500 cans, and you think "My cans cost half of what my amp+DAC costs, I need something less mid-fi to match the rest of my rig. I'll sell the old ones for $250, and for just $250 I can get into the half-$K woody club!"

By now you have a setup costing $1100, so an upcoming upgrade of $200-$300 is just a fraction of that... You get my point. And on and on turn the wheels of perdition
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 8:13 PM Post #45 of 91
Quote:

I don't know how much time you have at work to really drift off with the music, but I'd be skeptical that it's enough time to warrant the price difference.

Actually the problem I have is that the sound is so good, I find myself focusing on the music and not my work!

I think my next upgrade will be IEMs for work. I'm thinking about a pre-order on the new Westone 3's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back