Review: Apogee Mini-DAC vs AQVOX USB 2 D/A MkII vs Stello DA100/HP100 vs Corda Opera
Mar 11, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #16 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, since you didn't expressly mention it in your review, would you say you were impressed by all three? As in, do you think each is worth its price? Are these empirical "outperformers" for their price category?

I'd absolutely say that all three are quite worth their costs, given that the feature set is right for the user. "Impressed" is a tough word to toss around, since I've become normalized to the level of sound quality these guys can deliver. However, I'd say I'm impressed by the improvements the Aqvox has made from the MkI model, impressed by the Stello's build quality (for what they consider an "entry-level" product), and impressed by the headphone amp of the Opera (and the DAC, frankly it was much better than I had expected).

I don't have a lot more serious (i.e. non-meet) experience with similar units in the price range, so it's hard to say that they outperform the competition. Sure they all do better than the DA10 and DAC1 (as all-in-one's), but they all also cost more. The Grace M902 is an all-in-one I've spent quite a bit of time with, and while it's put together in a nifty and attractive manner, it's certainly not the DAC that any of the three in this review are. It's headphone amp might be better than the HP100, but it's certainly not the Opera. And the Grace costs a lot more (at least MSRP) than those in my review.

Bottom line, the subjects of my review all offer a DAC that performs well for the $800-1500 segment (i.e. most relevant DAC's, until you go up to the insane price catergory of EMM Labs, DCS, ML, etc.). That they all also offer a headphone amp which compares well to at least the $400-500 segment (much more for the Opera), makes all three a bargain relative to the amount of sound quality in both devices.

Mar 11, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #17 of 91
Good to know that they're all solid units in the price range, and that's a strong recommendation if I've ever seen one. I think if you found something to like about each one that probably speaks for itself too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, this review deserves sticky-ing into the Featured Full Reviews!

Mar 11, 2007 at 10:17 AM Post #18 of 91
Thank you for your review. Nice reading about Opera
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, this review deserves sticky-ing into the Featured Full Reviews!

2x

Mar 11, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #19 of 91
Great review!

I currently have the Bel Canto DAC-2 and the Stello HP100. I really like both, but they're a bit too bulky for traveling. It's usually for 1-3 months, so I prefer to take the big boys rather than just an iPod. So I think an all-in-one like the Opera might be ideal.

I've gotten a pretty good idea of the Opera vs. my Stello amp. But has anyone compared the Opera DAC to the Bel Canto? How would the Opera compare to a Stello + Bel Canto in terms of size/weight?

Thanks

Mar 11, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #20 of 91
Thanks for the review Iron_Dreamer! Awesome reading.

The result surprised me though. I've owned Corda Aria and when my Stello's arrived I made a comparison between DA100 + Aria amp and Aria DAC + Aria amp combos. DA100 was like light years ahead of Aria's DAC. It seems that there has been a huge improvement with Opera.

I'd like to know what are the differences in sound quality when you directly compare Opera DAC + amp and DA100 + HP100 combos. You described them individually in your review but I'd like to know the basics like which one has wider/deeper soundstage, warmer sound, more detailed sound, neutrality etc.

This review makes me want to audition Opera so badly. I wonder if anyone in Helsinki owns one.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I forgot to ask that can you hear that background hiss in Opera with full size low impedance headphones like Grado's?

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:30 PM Post #21 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT: I forgot to ask that can you hear that background hiss in Opera with full size low impedance headphones like Grado's?

The amp is dead silent with my Grado GS1000.

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #22 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...has anyone compared the Opera DAC to the Bel Canto? How would the Opera compare to a Stello + Bel Canto in terms of size/weight?

The Opera is about thrice the size and the weight of the Bel Canto alone. I like the Opera's built-in DAC quite a bit better than the Bel Canto.

Mar 11, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #23 of 91
Quote:

...can you hear that background hiss in Opera with full size low impedance headphones like Grado's?

Yeah, the Opera is dead silent with my SR-80 (and ER-4P).

Mar 11, 2007 at 2:01 PM Post #24 of 91
Thanks for the review. I was thinking about buying an Opera with a view to connecting it to my amplifier. You've highlighted a major flaw in my plan! I have a Naim Nait 5i integrated with line level inputs but with an interesting feature which may let the Opera mate well. I've just sent the following to Jan. What do you think?

"Can the volume be adjusted so that the pre-out of the Opera mimics a line level output?

I have a Naim Nait 5i integrated amplifier which has line level inputs...so the pre-amp of the Opera and the pre-amp of the Naim would be daisy-chained. BUT it does have a unity gain function (pasted info below) which may mate well with the Opera: The description suggests the pre-amp of the Naim is bypassed. What do you think?

"AV Integration (Unity Gain)
The Unity Gain function enables an audio-visual processor to be integrated with the NAIT 5i such that its volume control takes over command of signals connected the amplifier's AV input.

Note: The unity gain feature must be used with care. It effectively by-passes the NAIT 5i volume control leaving any signal connected to the unity gain input to be passed to the power amplifier and speakers at full volume. Additionally, if an input is selected which has unity gain enabled, the volume handset functions will be disabled and their indicators will turn off. This will be flagged by the
volume indicator flashing if its handset keys are used.""

Mar 11, 2007 at 4:17 PM Post #25 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The headphone amp section of the Opera is what makes it really shine. Using a first of its’ kind variable voltage output third channel, the Opera takes headphones to a higher level of sound quality than typical 2-channel amps can offer, closer to what more expensive and complicated balanced amps can produce. The following is a quote from my initial review of the Opera in TTVJ’s Forum:

Have you had the chance to try it out with the HD650 or Grados? I see your quote about how well it drives your W5000 compared to true balanced but was wondering if the same would be true for the HD650. Logically it would, but I always hear about how much balanced improve the HD650, making me think it might not improve so much relative to other cans on the Opera.

Mar 11, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #26 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you had the chance to try it out with the HD650 or Grados? I see your quote about how well it drives your W5000 compared to true balanced but was wondering if the same would be true for the HD650. Logically it would, but I always hear about how much balanced improve the HD650, making me think it might not improve so much relative to other cans on the Opera.

With the Aria (prototype), I had a slight or even clear preference for the K 701 over the HD 650. Now, with the Opera, I like the HD 650 as much as I like the K 701. Both sound incredibly good with it, and I haven't heard the HD 650 sound better before: There's so much clarity and detail through the Opera. The good thing is: It doesn't tend to be unforgiving with mediocre recordings nonetheless.

Mar 11, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #27 of 91
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've gotten a pretty good idea of the Opera vs. my Stello amp. But has anyone compared the Opera DAC to the Bel Canto? How would the Opera compare to a Stello + Bel Canto in terms of size/weight?

In my experience with the DAC2, I preferred the Benchmark DAC1 to it. Therefore I'd agree with Jazz in stating the Opera's DAC is at least a bit better sounding. I think sizewize you might be at about a draw, since the Opera isn't small, but it might have a slight edge on total weight. Considering that it comes with a form-fitted box, it should be pretty easy to transport.

Quote:

I'd like to know what are the differences in sound quality when you directly compare Opera DAC + amp and DA100 + HP100 combos. You described them individually in your review but I'd like to know the basics like which one has wider/deeper soundstage, warmer sound, more detailed sound, neutrality etc.

I'd give the Opera the edge for soundstaging (and perhaps detail, if you take the larger soundstage to be indicative of more resolved high-end detail). Neutrality vs. warmth is a bit tricky because of the HP100's filters. The warmest sound is the HP100 w/filter B. The most neutral is the Opera. I generally found the Opera to be a more involving and enjoyable listen. Again these are virtually completely due to the differences in the headphone amps, as changing from the DA100 to the Opera's DAC made very little difference.

I could only hear the hiss with my UE IEM's. Even the W5000 which is more voltage sensitive than Grados did not show any hiss.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fierce_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you had the chance to try it out with the HD650 or Grados?

I've only heard the Opera with the headphones I own, so no Grados or Senns. Sorry!

Mar 11, 2007 at 10:51 PM Post #30 of 91
Thanks for the comments on the Opera vs. Bel Canto.

One thing I disagree with is your assessment that the Stello HP100 gives no hiss. In my system at least, it doesn't hiss with full-size cans (e.g. Ultrasone, Grado, Beyer), but there is a very noticeable hiss on my Sensaphonics IEMs when no music is playing.

One possible cause is that I don't have a power conditioner or anything like that. My Stello is simply plugged into the same power strip where I plug in my computer, etc. Maybe that is the cause of the hiss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back