Review and discussions - Audioengine D1 24/96 USB and Optical DAC/amp for laptops and computers
May 22, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #196 of 398
I have just bought the D1.  I notice the USB power as the power is not good enough. The problem is the bass is knd of weak.
I end up make an 1A 5V power supply. It make a big different.
I also find out if I rip the music to 32 bit non-compressed flac file is the best.  I do compare with 24bit level 4 and 24bit level 0
However, I like the 32bit flac more though.  I understand that the D1 is only 24bit.

May 24, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #197 of 398
Quote:
I have just bought the D1.  I notice the USB power as the power is not good enough. The problem is the bass is knd of weak.
I also find out if I rip the music to 32 bit non-compressed flac file is the best.  I do compare with 24bit level 4 and 24bit level 0
However, I like the 32bit flac more though.  I understand that the D1 is only 24bit.

What is your setup?

May 28, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #199 of 398
Actually, I am using a media player with the optical output to the D1.
The media player comes with the USB, however, I have found the bass is much better using the external power than the USB.

May 30, 2012 at 3:02 AM Post #201 of 398
Quote:

This really shouldn't be the case, just because you give the D1 a higher rated power supply it will still only use 200mA. USB2 can provide up 500mA on a port so it easily powers the D1.

Why are you making non-compressed Flacs? Your missing one of the key features of FLAC and that is to save disk space with out losing any sound quality. Also why 32bit, keep the bit depth the same as the format your ripping from e.g CDs are 16bit.

May 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM Post #202 of 398
Quote:
This really shouldn't be the case, just because you give the D1 a higher rated power supply it will still only use 200mA. USB2 can provide up 500mA on a port so it easily powers the D1.

Why are you making non-compressed Flacs? Your missing one of the key features of FLAC and that is to save disk space with out losing any sound quality. Also why 32bit, keep the bit depth the same as the format your ripping from e.g CDs are 16bit.

I know the DAC uses only 200mA, but I just have a 1A 5V power supply with me.  I still prefer a standing alone power supply rather than the USB because you have no idea the quality of the USB. Don't forget the stablity & free rippled current do affect the sound quality.
I double the compressed file makes no differnet than the compressed file! Think about the picture & video files!
16 bit may be good enough but if I upgrade my DAC to 32 bit in the future, I don't have to re-do all my music again.
I have checked the files size between 16 bit & 32 bit is not much a different.

Jun 2, 2012 at 4:48 AM Post #204 of 398
Quote:
I know the DAC uses only 200mA, but I just have a 1A 5V power supply with me.  I still prefer a standing alone power supply rather than the USB because you have no idea the quality of the USB. Don't forget the stablity & free rippled current do affect the sound quality.
I double the compressed file makes no differnet than the compressed file! Think about the picture & video files!
16 bit may be good enough but if I upgrade my DAC to 32 bit in the future, I don't have to re-do all my music again.
I have checked the files size between 16 bit & 32 bit is not much a different.

Why would the 1a 5v power supply give cleaner power than a USB port on a PC? The unit itself filters the usb input any how. Also if there was a problem with power you wouldn't just get less bass, the whole audio would be messed up.

Why\how would you double compress? I really don't follow what your trying to do?

Your not going to gain anything by making a 16bit source in to a 32 bit. You might as well leave it as 16bit and let the player pad the bit depth to 32 on playback.

Jun 4, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #205 of 398
Quote:

Let me help you. You're suffering from delusions. Get help.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #206 of 398
I've been using the D1 for a couple of months with my A2's and it's definitely a noticeable upgrade from using the analog port of my MBP. Although, I'm not sure if I can hear much of a difference between the USB port or the optical port. I think the optical port may have slightly better instrument separation, but that may just be a placebo from reading some of these posts.

My question is, will the D1 drive a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's well? I'd like to get a high-end pair of headphones for late night use, but I want to make sure they will pair well with the D1.

Jun 6, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #207 of 398
Quote:
I've been using the D1 for a couple of months with my A2's and it's definitely a noticeable upgrade from using the analog port of my MBP. Although, I'm not sure if I can hear much of a difference between the USB port or the optical port. I think the optical port may have slightly better instrument separation, but that may just be a placebo from reading some of these posts.

My question is, will the D1 drive a pair of Sennheiser HD 650's well? I'd like to get a high-end pair of headphones for late night use, but I want to make sure they will pair well with the D1.

The D1 and HD600 work very well together.  However, I don't have the HD650 because they sound more bland to me and seem to need more power to come alive.  I owned them twice and sold them each time.  I'm listening with HD600 right now and I'm very pleased with the combo.

Jun 7, 2012 at 12:16 PM Post #209 of 398
I use mine with my SR60s (Mk1) at work and am delighted by the sound,. not bright, just accurate, via USB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back