REVIEW: 5 sub-$150 sealed headphone compared
Jul 31, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #63 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, it's very easy.

This I do not know - does this cable use the standard HD650 little two-prong plugs?

Thanks. I'll check the plug with HeadRoom

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #64 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Choo Choo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A second question. Will the balanced replacement cable for the HD 650 offered by HeadRoom for $99 work?

Personally, I think you should start with the standard 650 cable. $12USD before shipping/tax/etc. from Sennheiser. That way you can discern if there is a difference from cable to cable. Jumping to a higher end cable immediately may not be worthwhile for you.

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #65 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I think you should start with the standard 650 cable. $12USD before shipping/tax/etc. from Sennheiser. That way you can discern if there is a difference from cable to cable. Jumping to a higher end cable immediately may not be worthwhile for you.

Totally agree.

Jul 31, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #66 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the input. I like the $12 option much better.....at least initially.

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #67 of 159
Quote:

The DT770 (2005) is better sounding than any of these cans IMO

I curious: What makes the DT 770 better than the Equation? Can you please elaborate on the issue of "dry midrange" and the "problematic treble"? And how is the bass of the Equation compared to the beyerdynamic?

Jul 31, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #68 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I curious: What makes the DT 770 better than the Equation? Can you please elaborate on the issue of "dry midrange" and the "problematic treble"? And how is the bass of the Equation compared to the beyerdynamic?

I think that makes Skylab a bass head.
icon10.gif

I won some RP21s on eBay. I've been looking for some closed isolating cans occasionally to give my ears a break from IEMs during my commute. Hopefully, they'll fill the bill.

Jul 31, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #69 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantra /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the DT770's midrange is more refined. Yes, it's a little recessed (although we are talking about the 2005 model do it's not very recessed), but they are more refined than the RP21. Also, the treble is much more refined than the RP21. I also prefer the DT770's bass - a little punchier. But I am a basshead for sure.

Aug 1, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #71 of 159
Quote:

I think the DT770's midrange is more refined. Yes, it's a little recessed (although we are talking about the 2005 model do it's not very recessed), but they are more refined than the RP21. Also, the treble is much more refined than the RP21.

Thanks Skylab. If you find the DT 770 to be more refined in both the midrange and treble that would for sure make me rule out the Equation from my "want-list".

Quote:

I also prefer the DT770's bass - a little punchier. But I am a basshead for sure.

I find the combination of my DT 770 PRO/80 and Corda MOVE to be excellent in the bass department. Punchy, energetic, deep, detailed, and tons of weight with bassguitars. I guess that makes me a basshead too
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #72 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AT signature varies dramatically. Unless you've heard the ES7's, you can't comment on their sound.
I have a pair and I think the treble energy is normal.

x2. i've now had 6 different ATs (3 currently in my stable) and their sound varies a fair amount amongst different models. the thing that's consistent across the line is i would not call them neutral phones. the es-7 is one of the most fun phones of the bunch!

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #73 of 159
Hi,

Great Review!

Maybe it would be fair to list the street price, since the Senn HD25 with moded cable cost much more. At the sub-$150 range, I think that the representative should be K181DJ, no? or it just does not make too much difference?

Is it possible to elaborate the sound quality separately with or withoug an amp, since some cans may sounds tremendously different with/without an amp?

Thanks, Skylab!

Aug 1, 2007 at 5:47 PM Post #74 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by carstenan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

Great Review!

Maybe it would be fair to list the street price, since the Senn HD25 with moded cable cost much more. At the sub-$150 range, I think that the representative should be K181DJ, no? or it just does not make too much difference?

Is it possible to elaborate the sound quality separately with or withoug an amp, since some cans may sounds tremendously different with/without an amp?

Thanks, Skylab!

I will actually be getting a loaner K181DJ that I can comment on at some point.

Interesting idea about judging the cans un-amped, but this is hard for me - I have now iModded my 5.5G iPod, so the only thing I could use that qualifies as "unamped" would be a Nano, whose headphone out I find to be really crappy. So I'm not sure what folks would get out of it.

Aug 1, 2007 at 6:17 PM Post #75 of 159
Quote:

I will actually be getting a loaner K181DJ that I can comment on at some point.

Interesting idea about judging the cans un-amped, but this is hard for me - I have now iModded my 5.5G iPod, so the only thing I could use that qualifies as "unamped" would be a Nano, whose headphone out I find to be really crappy. So I'm not sure what folks would get out of it.

well, though lots of people criticized on the SQ of iPod (the better SQ-MP3 player maybe cowon, kenwood...etc), but I still think it may make sense to show the SQ difference between (1) nano, (2) portable amp (like Move), and (3) home amp (Opera) just as a reference, esp lots of people have iPod. I guess that would be a great ref for people like me to decide what's the next target. or alternatively, it would help a lot just to mention something like " this cans sounds quite different with or without an amp"
icon10.gif

I found though being defined as reference haedphones, DT 770's bass is better than most DJ ones. (I have a older version DT 770 pro 80 ohm, which are available on ebay about $150 new) . My prob with 770 is that I always tend to have large volume to get my hearing exciting. and in this way, I can't wear this cans for long hours even they are comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back