REVIEW: 5 sub-$150 sealed headphone compared
Jan 5, 2009 at 6:22 PM Post #151 of 159
No, I did not fine the Denons to be colored at all in the way that the Bose are. All headphones have some coloration, but the D1000 sound very different, and much better, than the Triports.

Feb 21, 2009 at 5:50 PM Post #152 of 159
This might seem a little odd, but I just want to say thank you for doing this review! This review is probably the most comprehensive and well laid-out that I have ever seen here, and has really helped me a lot in making a decision regarding my new phones!

Feb 21, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #153 of 159
Thanks for the comprehensive review Skylab. I always find your reviews matching a lot of my tastes, so this is great for me. I have the HD25-1 II and I totally agree with everything you've said about them, and I love using them portably when I don't feel like using my SE530s. But at the moment, I'm in love with the M-Audio Q40 sound signature. I have them sent off for modding (S^2 Audio) but even Day 1 I like them better than the Sennheisers...but they are bigger so it's not AS portable...but they do fold! Too bad you can't fit in a review for the Q40s. I might be able to send you mine for review if people are interested, but it's modded (reterminated jack, OFC cable), so it's not the same as a stock Q40...but if people are interested I don't mind sending it to Skylab for a review.

Edit: I still have the stock cable I can send to Skylab for review as well, so if you disregard the jack, the phone is pretty much stock ^^

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #154 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nestor /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might seem a little odd, but I just want to say thank you for doing this review! This review is probably the most comprehensive and well laid-out that I have ever seen here, and has really helped me a lot in making a decision regarding my new phones!

Thanks for the kind words!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meloncoly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the comprehensive review Skylab. I always find your reviews matching a lot of my tastes, so this is great for me. I have the HD25-1 II and I totally agree with everything you've said about them, and I love using them portably when I don't feel like using my SE530s. But at the moment, I'm in love with the M-Audio Q40 sound signature. I have them sent off for modding (S^2 Audio) but even Day 1 I like them better than the Sennheisers...but they are bigger so it's not AS portable...but they do fold! Too bad you can't fit in a review for the Q40s. I might be able to send you mine for review if people are interested, but it's modded (reterminated jack, OFC cable), so it's not the same as a stock Q40...but if people are interested I don't mind sending it to Skylab for a review.

Edit: I still have the stock cable I can send to Skylab for review as well, so if you disregard the jack, the phone is pretty much stock ^^

Thanks for the very kind offer, but I am reviewing some other stuff at the moment. I do appreciate it though!

Feb 21, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #155 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the very kind offer, but I am reviewing some other stuff at the moment. I do appreciate it though!

Ooh...more reviews! Looking forward to them when they arrive. If interest from others come up, and you are available, do PM me and I will gladly loan my Q40s to you. ^^

Mar 15, 2009 at 8:29 AM Post #156 of 159
[size=small]Let me add my belated thanks to you, Skylab, for such a detailed review.
smile_phones.gif
[/size]

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #157 of 159
i been lookin for a review like this one for a while. this inches me closer to pickin the d1000 or the rp21. but one question before i seal the deal: in your opinion, wat is the best cans for under $100??? its bugging the heck out of me cuz i am goin nuts on wat cans i should buy. its been 3 months since i had my last ones.

Jul 22, 2009 at 4:40 PM Post #158 of 159
I didn't really like the D1000, too airy for my tastes (with a poor imaging). I agree it can compete the HD25 though. But I liked the ES7 better, i found it more lifelike and impressive.
I recently tried the HD555 and it was much better than what i expected, i felt it was the most natural sounding can i heard at this pricepoint. Great soundstage.
If you can afford an open can the ATH AD700 and the Alessandro MS1 might interest you too.

Jul 22, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #159 of 159
Quote:

Originally Posted by Capri818 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i been lookin for a review like this one for a while. this inches me closer to pickin the d1000 or the rp21. but one question before i seal the deal: in your opinion, wat is the best cans for under $100??? its bugging the heck out of me cuz i am goin nuts on wat cans i should buy. its been 3 months since i had my last ones.

I'm not sure I am the best person to answer this question, as it has been two years since I wrote this review - I'm sure there are other candidates now, and I have not been listening to headphones in this price range. But I still believe for the money the Denons are very hard to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back