Resonessence Labs Concero discussion/review thead
Mar 31, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #496 of 2,480
Quote:
A lot?

DAC-only, here.

Yep, as far as I can tell, at least on this thread, I'm the only one who has come forward as using the Concero as a converter.  Well, maybe the one who used it with the Metrum also.

Mar 31, 2013 at 5:30 PM Post #497 of 2,480
Well, I have till the end of April to make my decision on a usb dac and I always refer to these threads for trusted reviews from owners before buying a piece of equipment. Thks

Mar 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #498 of 2,480
Quote:
Yep, as far as I can tell, at least on this thread, I'm the only one who has come forward as using the Concero as a converter.  Well, maybe the one who used it with the Metrum also.

I got it for that purpose too (and the convenience of a good DAC when I'm on the go, which, luckily, doesn't happen so often).

I'm using it with the Metrum Quad with very good result. I noticed the Concero adds its own sound to the DAC it's feeding. It's really apparent with the Quad which instantly lost its mid bass bump and gain treble extension (when compared to the Stello U3 I was using before)!

So far, I don't really enjoy the sound of it as a DAC but I didn't use it much standalone so take it for what it is.

Mar 31, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #499 of 2,480
I discerned no difference between my Parasound 1500 fed by the Concero compared to the Parasound fed by optical cable directly from my MBP, in a brief (1/2 hour) comparison.

Apr 5, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #502 of 2,480
Does the 1500 have the PMD100 in it? I found my 1600HD was fairly input-agnostic. I tried switching out the PMD100 for (I forgot the model BB chip) and the DAC became very sensitive to input quality.

I was actually looking for this thread to ask if anyone had experimented with the S/PDIF input and an Audiophilleo or the like, crazy as that may sound.  I'm in the market for a compact DAC and happen to have both a "spare" USB power source and the AP1 I want to put to good use.

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #503 of 2,480
Quote:

I was actually looking for this thread to ask if anyone had experimented with the S/PDIF input and an Audiophilleo or the like, crazy as that may sound.  I'm in the market for a compact DAC and happen to have both a "spare" USB power source and the AP1 I want to put to good use.

Not yet but I can check it out soon and let you know. My Concero is loaned out at the moment, but I've got an AP1 with PurePower that I can pair it with once it makes its way back to me. I suspect the gain would be modest but I could be wrong. 

Apr 5, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #504 of 2,480
Quote:

Not yet but I can check it out soon and let you know. My Concero is loaned out at the moment, but I've got an AP1 with PurePower that I can pair it with once it makes its way back to me. I suspect the gain would be modest but I could be wrong. 

The Concero sounds quite hard when connected to my laptop (battery powered). I get a similar hard sound with the NFB-27 when I plug it on a cheap power strip.
It's not really nice to listen too and becomes quickly fatiguing.

I suspect the Concero might benefit from a cleaner power feed, the same kind of improvement that makes the NFB-27 sound delicious when plugged on the wall outlet instead.

The only DAC that did well on that cheap power strip is the Metrum Quad. It seems that it sounds nice even with a "dirty" power. Never got a hint of harshness/hardness with it, even though it is brighter than the NFB-27.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #506 of 2,480
Adding external power increases the size/complexity of the Concero, as well as adding $200 or so to the total cost.  At this point, I would assume the competitors and the value shift.  

What would be some competitors that would compete at this price point and in particular, in a compact package.

I am enamored with the Concero due to its size since I have almost zero good space for my rig.  But if adding power is the best way to maximize it, and I have to use up more space and pay more money, then I might as well just get something like the X-Sabre or an Audio-gd DAC.

Apr 5, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #507 of 2,480
Does the 1500 have the PMD100 in it? I found my 1600HD was fairly input-agnostic. I tried switching out the PMD100 for (I forgot the model BB chip) and the DAC became very sensitive to input quality.

No PMD in the 1500.

Apr 6, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #508 of 2,480
Quote:
Adding external power increases the size/complexity of the Concero, as well as adding $200 or so to the total cost.  At this point, I would assume the competitors and the value shift.  

What would be some competitors that would compete at this price point and in particular, in a compact package.

I am enamored with the Concero due to its size since I have almost zero good space for my rig.  But if adding power is the best way to maximize it, and I have to use up more space and pay more money, then I might as well just get something like the X-Sabre or an Audio-gd DAC.

Well, that's just me. Voicing can also play a role in this finding.
You might well need nothing more than a decent USB cable to enjoy it. I will try it on my new laptop to see how it goes.

For the size and the fact it is USB powered, the Concero is technically outstanding. All in all and regardless of its size/convenience, it's a very serious DAC in the sub $1k market.

Apr 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM Post #509 of 2,480
Quote:

I haven't tried it on my laptop either but will be later for a meet.  My desktop uses a low ripple power supply meant for supplying stable voltage for overclocking and my case is extremely large and cavernous so it could be delivering cleaner power to the Concero than a laptop might.

Apr 6, 2013 at 11:06 AM Post #510 of 2,480
Back when I still had the Concero, I heard no different from USB via laptops on battery and a desktop. My gaming build uses an Antec(Seasonic OEM) PSU + Giga mobo. That said, I've always used overkill PSU (both in power and quality) and have not encountered worse quality compared to a laptop running on battery.

Still need to try the Vaunix/iFi/SotM usb stuff though 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back