Replacing my Future Sonics Atrio, suggestions?
Sep 7, 2010 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

oshox

New Head-Fier
To my dismay, the left earpiece of my three year-old pair of Atrios stopped working today. I can't tell why, but I'd imagine the wiring has come loose. I've used them for 8 hours a day for the past three years, so I'm not terribly disappointed. I've loved every minute of listening to them.

My question is this:  Should I replace them with another set of Atrios, or has something new come out in the same price range (~$180) that I should look into?

Sep 7, 2010 at 11:38 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
To my dismay, the left earpiece of my three year-old pair of Atrios stopped working today. I can't tell why, but I'd imagine the wiring has come loose. I've used them for 8 hours a day for the past three years, so I'm not terribly disappointed. I've loved every minute of listening to them.

My question is this:  Should I replace them with another set of Atrios, or has something new come out in the same price range (~$180) that I should look into?

Here is what you must do:

Write Future Sonics and tell them about your situation.

Tell them you want a new Atrios with the new MG7 driver (it just came out and there is stock with the old driver remaining, so make sure that you get the new driver--it has better treble among other things). Also, tell them you heard that Future Sonics has a deal on a new pair of Atrios for those who are upgrading from an older pair for $99.

You will save $80 and get an earphone that looks and fits just like your old ones, but sounds even better.

Write a review of the new mg7-driver atrios for us after you've had them for a month.

Post that review on head-fi.

Await further instructions.

Sep 8, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 10
^ LOL, you said it all, nothing to add here.
biggrin.gif

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:47 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
Here is what you must do:

Write Future Sonics and tell them about your situation.

Tell them you want a new Atrios with the new MG7 driver (it just came out and there is stock with the old driver remaining, so make sure that you get the new driver--it has better treble among other things). Also, tell them you heard that Future Sonics has a deal on a new pair of Atrios for those who are upgrading from an older pair for $99.

You will save $80 and get an earphone that looks and fits just like your old ones, but sounds even better.

Write a review of the new mg7-driver atrios for us after you've had them for a month.

Post that review on head-fi.

Await further instructions.

Please do do that, I really want to see what FS has done with the mg7 driver.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
LOL Kunlun :) If only it was that easy :p

They actually do have a $99 deal on Atrios for people trading in their old or old-and-broken pairs.

I just talked to David Gray, the FS customer service rep today. He said the mg7 Atros are all produced and ready (all the driver manufacturing etc is done in-house), however, they out-sourced the packaging as they've gone to an all-recyclable format. The packaging is a bit delayed but should be ready real soon now.

Writing David is relatively easy and I think it's well worth it for oshox.

Sep 8, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #7 of 10
Oh, and David said the audio engineers were looking to keep the FS sound signature, but they wanted more treble sparkle, so that's what they got.

He was saying that the new driver is a chance to tinker with every part that goes into the driver, changing various materials and internal wiring, etc. to get a slightly better sound or more efficient design.

It sounded like it would be a nice earphone to hear. I hope to listen to a demo set when they start shipping real soon now.

Sep 9, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 10
I wonder if they'd take the set I recabled myself after the original broke... who knows, maybe it would be worth a shot.

Nov 12, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 10
I've had my future sonics for 18months and the left ear has started to drop.  I have sent an email to Future Sonic asking what can be done, but as i'm 6 months outside the warranty I'm not holding my breath.  I'd be willing to send them for repeair, as I don't have the dosh to buy a new pair at the moment. 

Nov 12, 2010 at 10:56 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
I've had my future sonics for 18months and the left ear has started to drop.  I have sent an email to Future Sonic asking what can be done, but as i'm 6 months outside the warranty I'm not holding my breath.  I'd be willing to send them for repeair, as I don't have the dosh to buy a new pair at the moment. 

They'll sell you a new mg7 Atrios for $100. Or an mg5 Atrios, you should probably ask for the mg7.

Or, you can get an HJE900, for $80, it might need a bit of a mod (a bunch of people have done it with theirs and there are directions the HJE900 appreciation thread) but it sounded pretty darn good for the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back