Reference Over-ear Headphones for Listening to Music
Jul 15, 2023 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

ADUHF

Headphoneus Supremus
Music And Measurements
The Neumann NDH-30, Audeze MM-500, and upcoming Audeze MM-100 seem to be getting a fair amount of positive response in some professional audio mastering circles.

I'm just wondering which over-ear headphones would Head-Fiers currently recommend as a good reference for listening to music, and why.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #2 of 24
The Neumann NDH-30, Audeze MM-500, and upcoming Audeze MM-100 seem to be getting a fair amount of positive response in some professional audio mastering circles.

I'm just wondering which over-ear headphones would Head-fiers currently recommend as a good reference for listening to music, and why.
Links to “fair amount of positive response(s) in some professional audio mastering circles”? Particularly for MM-100 since its not even available yet.

Im betting pro audio masters listen loudly so benefit from the particular signature of MM-500 when based on equal loudness contour.

Jul 15, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #3 of 24
Links to “fair amount of positive response(s) in some professional audio mastering circles”? Particularly for MM-100 since its not even available yet.

Im betting pro audio masters listen loudly so benefit from the particular signature of MM-500 when based on equal loudness contour.

Thanks for the reply, Philimon.

I'm getting thie above impression from some recent posts on Gearspace, for example...

https://gearspace.com/board/masteri...ur-favorite-headphones-mastering-room-63.html

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 1:56 AM Post #4 of 24
I haven't listened to any of the above myself btw. So that's why I'm wonderin what Head-fiers would suggest in the way of alternatives.

The MM-500 posts also mention Oratory's EQ profile though. And the out-of-box FR on the MM-500 seems to leave a bit to be desired, based on Ora's plot anyway.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgeovbx06fnglbn/Audeze MM-500.pdf?dl=0

The mids look decent. But the bass and treble both look depressed on MM-500. I beleve this is open-back though.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 24
The Sennheiser HD6XX series are typically well thought of, as are the Audio Technica ATH-R70x, some Shures, Sonys... There's a lot out there.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 24
The Sennheiser HD6XX series are typically well thought of, as are the Audio Technica ATH-R70x, some Shures, Sonys... There's a lot out there.

Right on. And thanks for the response, silent-circuit.

Jul 15, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 24
Jul 15, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #8 of 24
Jul 15, 2023 at 2:07 AM Post #9 of 24
I quickly searched keyword “MM-100” but didnt find any impressions. Do you mind linking directly to any impressions of MM-100 by audio masters? At gearspace all the comments I saw were about how Audeze MM-100 are too heavy for practical use.

There may not be any reviews of the MM-100 yet, since it's not out. But there seems to be some anticipation that it could be good. And it is alot more affordable than the MM-500.

Guess we'll have to wait and see on that.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 24
Last edited:
Jul 16, 2023 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 24
I guess this isn't as easy a question to answer as I thought... Or maybe I'm just askin it wrong. :L3000:

I appreciate the replies so far though. Maybe there are other headphones by the above mfrs, or other reputable audio companies (such as AKG, Beyerdynamic, DCA, Denon, Focal, HFM, etc.,) that could deliver a more reference experience than some of the above? Or at least something comparable.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #12 of 24
This is more about mixing on headphones. But I thought it was at least an interesting experiment, which is somewhat tangentially related to the topic. I'll probably have some more thoughts on this another time. Answers are in the spoiler below though. And the "best and worst" mixes according to the participants are also show in parentheses.

1. IEM (best mix)
2. LCD-X
3. DT-990 PRO (worst mix)
4. MM-500 (best mix)
5. HD 600 (worst mix)

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #13 of 24
No idea how good the technicals are on Shure. But the FR looks kinda fun on a headphone like the new SRH840A... And price is pretty reasonable.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z4kfrvxw92hlz7t/Shure SRH840A.pdf?dl=0

Maybe you had a different Shure in mind tho?
Not sure about the newer 440A and 840A models as they haven't been on the market for that long yet, but their predecessors are commonly used in the music industry for monitoring. As well as the more expensive 940, 1440, 1540 and 1840... basically their entire lineup has been used by many for quite a few years now. And it's hard not to understand why, they all have a relatively flat frequency response, good detail retrieval and are well-known for being some of the most comfortable headphones on the market.

Jul 22, 2023 at 12:06 AM Post #14 of 24
Not sure about the newer 440A and 840A models as they haven't been on the market for that long yet, but their predecessors are commonly used in the music industry for monitoring. As well as the more expensive 940, 1440, 1540 and 1840... basically their entire lineup has been used by many for quite a few years now. And it's hard not to understand why, they all have a relatively flat frequency response, good detail retrieval and are well-known for being some of the most comfortable headphones on the market.

Thank you for the reply, willkins.

I'm interested in trying the SRH840A. The tuning looks a bit scooped in the mids. But it could probably be tweaked fairly easily with some EQ, since the headphones are closed. And a little "Fletcher-Munson" isn't necessarily a bad thing if you like a more dynamic sound and/or listening at lower volumes.

I'm pretty rough on my headphones though. And have heard some varying opinions re the quality and durability of the Shures, even though the company has a very good rep in the audio world.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 12:16 AM Post #15 of 24
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back