red wine audio isabellina hpa
Aug 12, 2011 at 6:50 AM Post #76 of 85

Quote:
Well, I finally signed up for the website. I'm a new happy owner of Red Wine Audio Isabellina LFP-V amplifier and I'm using it with my Beyerdynamic T1 with an upgraded cable. I think it's a terrific combination. 

Congrats! That's a great entry for your first post! Can the Isabellina drive the T1 to high volume levels?

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #77 of 85
Yes, it can. My impression is that Isabellina has a very natural, understated presentation, so people might have a tendency to turn it up higher than they would with other amps, and almost push it to the max, not realizing that it's playing loud because it doesn't have aggressive presentation.

I'm also very pleased with the fact that I have great results using just cheap source, so anybody hesitating spending money for Isabellina remember that since it has built in DAC, you don't have to use world class cd player to have excellent results.

Aug 13, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #78 of 85
I was wondering if anyone has heard a Grado headphone out of the RWA HPA...

I guess more specifically the RS1. I'm using the LCDs at the moment but have been thinking of trying out a can that is more guitar rock oriented (I know, I know the LCDs are fantastic with rock, I guess just looking for a different presentation).

Only problem is I detest bright headphones, and Grado is notorious for brightness. I have tried a 325i before and surprisingly it wasn't the brightness that got to me, it just wasn't any better sounding than my HD650s at the time. And the earpads hurt, but that could have been remedied.

Also, would the awesomeness of the HPA's presentation (relaxed, nonfatiguing) be of benefit to a bright headphone?

Vinnie, have you heard a Grado out of the Isabellina?

Thanks!

Aug 13, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #79 of 85

Quote:
Well, I finally signed up for the website. I'm a new happy owner of Red Wine Audio Isabellina LFP-V amplifier and I'm using it with my Beyerdynamic T1 with an upgraded cable. I think it's a terrific combination. 

Excellent, how about posting some pictures.

Quote:
I was wondering if anyone has heard a Grado headphone out of the RWA HPA...

I guess more specifically the RS1. I'm using the LCDs at the moment but have been thinking of trying out a can that is more guitar rock oriented (I know, I know the LCDs are fantastic with rock, I guess just looking for a different presentation).

Only problem is I detest bright headphones, and Grado is notorious for brightness. I have tried a 325i before and surprisingly it wasn't the brightness that got to me, it just wasn't any better sounding than my HD650s at the time. And the earpads hurt, but that could have been remedied.

Also, would the awesomeness of the HPA's presentation (relaxed, nonfatiguing) be of benefit to a bright headphone?

Vinnie, have you heard a Grado out of the Isabellina?

Thanks!

I have heard/listened the RS-1 (button one) and SR-80 out of the Isabellina HPA, Isabella LFP-V Edition, and the Amphora by ALO  which uses the same type of headphone out. What would you like to know?

Short answer is it sounds superb!

Sep 29, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #82 of 85

Quote:
Just wondering if the treble was bothersome...

I've had an RS1 Classic in a Headamp GS1 based system for the past week, and with quality recordings I can't say that treble is ever a problem. The RS1 is not necessarily bright, although it has a very detailed hf resolution, that borders nicely on analytical but with a sweet character. 

Anyway my Red Wine question: what is variable output, and how does the Pro dac compare to the standard dac?

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #83 of 85

[size=medium]
After LOTS of research, I finally made the plunge into the audiophile community and my Isabellina HPA arrived on monday! I was impressed by the detail and care with the packaging it came in. Which was only a precursor to the actual product and the sound that it reproduces. I have a apogee ensemble. Which I use to record music and it has decent DA and headphone amp. But after getting my Denon AH-D7000 headphones, I was curious about upgrading my sound further. There are a lot of great choices. However the benefit of a great all in one DA, amp, and power supply really intrigued me. If it could be pulled off without compromise. This would save a lot of money for upgraded interconnects ,power cable and power filters. This could run thousands for the gear I wanted. I'm happy to say, their is no compromise. In fact the shorter signal path and battery power supply I believe is part of the reason why the HPA sounds so good. I got a basic unit with no upgrades with the intent to upgrade as I get more money. The only thing I changed was the tube to a Dario Miniwatt. I run it through my mac pro using Pure Music.
Right out of the box the unit sounded very similar to the ensemble in quality of the sound. It had a less soundstage and was more muddy and congested. However with zero burn in it was close.
After 10 hours of burn in it began to really open up and it had more depth, clarity and micro detail than the ensemble. Which put a smile on my face. I listen to all types of music. Which they all sounded better, until I listened to Tool's Undertow. It was definitely lacking in drive and impact. This really worried me because the only review I read that was not 100% positive compared it to the tranquility se DA. He said the isballina DA was to polite, and intimate. Lacking the edge for rock. http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/156-red-wine-audio-isabellina-lfp-v-edition Knowing it was very early in the burn in process, I was going to try listening again on tuesday.The burn in takes at least 100 hrs according to Vinnie the maker of the HPA.
After 20 hrs of burn I listened to Tool again. I was instantly sucked in. The sound-field the micro detail and drive were all there. In fact I felt like I was there. Listening to them live, but with SOOOO much more clarity!  Their is no distinction between the right and left headphones. Rather a real sound field of music  encompessing you. With each instrument in there own definitive space. I just sat and listened to all my music like it was the first time. The music sounded unbelievably real and natural. We all have different tastes and preferences so I can respect the reviewer. But to me the HPA does it all from mellow to extremely hard music flawlessly. This justifies the price beyond any doubt for me! I now have over 50 hrs and it slowly continues to get better. I cant wait for it to be completely burned in.

The customer support and help that Vinnie from Redwine Audio has given me is topnotch. Its amazing to be able to sit and talk to him personally. I give the HPA the highest recommendation possible for anyone considering a product in this price range or should I say any price range!    Hmmmmmmm..... now maybe a better transport? The quest begins!
[/size]

Oct 22, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #84 of 85
Bumping this thread with a question for Isabellina HPA owners. for those of you using the line outputs to a pair of powered speakers or a power amp, does plugging in the headphone into the front then mute the line output in back?  I’m used to this type of operation in my current setup. thanks.

edit. never mind, looks like it can be customized for new orders! by default it doesn't

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #85 of 85

Quote:

[size=medium]
After LOTS of research, I finally made the plunge into the audiophile community and my Isabellina HPA arrived on monday! I was impressed by the detail and care with the packaging it came in. Which was only a precursor to the actual product and the sound that it reproduces. I have a apogee ensemble. Which I use to record music and it has decent DA and headphone amp. But after getting my Denon AH-D7000 headphones, I was curious about upgrading my sound further. There are a lot of great choices. However the benefit of a great all in one DA, amp, and power supply really intrigued me. If it could be pulled off without compromise. This would save a lot of money for upgraded interconnects ,power cable and power filters. This could run thousands for the gear I wanted. I'm happy to say, their is no compromise. In fact the shorter signal path and battery power supply I believe is part of the reason why the HPA sounds so good. I got a basic unit with no upgrades with the intent to upgrade as I get more money. The only thing I changed was the tube to a Dario Miniwatt. I run it through my mac pro using Pure Music.
Right out of the box the unit sounded very similar to the ensemble in quality of the sound. It had a less soundstage and was more muddy and congested. However with zero burn in it was close.
After 10 hours of burn in it began to really open up and it had more depth, clarity and micro detail than the ensemble. Which put a smile on my face. I listen to all types of music. Which they all sounded better, until I listened to Tool's Undertow. It was definitely lacking in drive and impact. This really worried me because the only review I read that was not 100% positive compared it to the tranquility se DA. He said the isballina DA was to polite, and intimate. Lacking the edge for rock. http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/156-red-wine-audio-isabellina-lfp-v-edition Knowing it was very early in the burn in process, I was going to try listening again on tuesday.The burn in takes at least 100 hrs according to Vinnie the maker of the HPA.
After 20 hrs of burn I listened to Tool again. I was instantly sucked in. The sound-field the micro detail and drive were all there. In fact I felt like I was there. Listening to them live, but with SOOOO much more clarity!  Their is no distinction between the right and left headphones. Rather a real sound field of music  encompessing you. With each instrument in there own definitive space. I just sat and listened to all my music like it was the first time. The music sounded unbelievably real and natural. We all have different tastes and preferences so I can respect the reviewer. But to me the HPA does it all from mellow to extremely hard music flawlessly. This justifies the price beyond any doubt for me! I now have over 50 hrs and it slowly continues to get better. I cant wait for it to be completely burned in.

The customer support and help that Vinnie from Redwine Audio has given me is topnotch. Its amazing to be able to sit and talk to him personally. I give the HPA the highest recommendation possible for anyone considering a product in this price range or should I say any price range!    Hmmmmmmm..... now maybe a better transport? The quest begins!
[/size]

Yeah I had an email conversation with Vinnie as well, you get fast, personal and very helpful support from this guy. That's a big plus absolutely :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back