Recommendations on Custom in-ear Monitors to pair Ipod Classic ( Westone ES5, ES3X, JH13, EM?)
Nov 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Alias Gu

100+ Head-Fier

I have already bought my EX1000 for a month. Its poor isolation, discomfort, treble spikes and light bass make me a little bit disappointed. 

However, Pairing EX1000 with Ipod Classic, i really think EX1000 is still an excellent IEM with few flaws.

It's the time to upgrade my IEM to Custom in-ear Monitors.

Please recommend! Thanks!

By the way, Ipod classic is the only player i own and i don't want to throw it away or change it.

Someone said that Ipod Classic can't supply enough power to drive ES5, ES3X, K3003, JH13, but i really don't care about that; the only thing i concern is to get the best performance on IPOD CLASSIC.

There are my requests:

treble: clear, crisp, not piercing, not dark

bass: deeper than EX1000, adequate, not overwhelming 

midrange: with attractive, clear and smooth vocal, at least not hidden by bass (vocals of EX1000 sometimes will be hidden by bass).

THANKS A LOT GUYS

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 11
I have an ipod classic and the best way to get the best sound out of it is to use a small portable amp via a Line-Out Dock (LOD).

I have an Apex Glacier, it's excellent and will go a long way toward making your ex1000 sound better, deeper, clearer, smoother--and it'll run full sized headphones and ciems very well.

Even a cheap ibasso t3 will help greatly with the treble spike on the ex1000 (the t3 pairs well with bright treble iems), although it won't be as good with headphones, etc.

Part of the lack of bass extension is your ipod classic and part may be a poor fit. Fit is vital for the best bass in any iem.

If you buy a high-end custom iem and run it straight out of your ipod classic, you won't get the best sound at all.

You're basically asking how you can waste your money, that's probably why no one is answering.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 11
Thank you for your response anyway.
Ok, here is what i planed. I will definitely get an AMP or replace Ipod with other HIFI players such as HIFIMAN 901 in future, but, at least, that will happen after i get custom IEM. 
Because I can buy most Hifi portable players in a lower price when i go back to China . In U.S.A, the price is crazy, much higher than in China.
Moreover, after owning EX1000, i really start doubting my preference, and then i find that i want a very neutral custom IEM just like EX1000's style with better isolation, which most general IEM can't offer. 
It's definitely not wasting money; instead, i have to do that seemingly wasting way.

Dec 7, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 11
@Kunlun:  can you maybe comment on how easy a dynamic ciem is to drive compared to a multi-ba ciem?  I was gonna say to the OP that the Aurisonics are on sale today, and maybe the single dynamic is easier to drive out of the iPod?

Dec 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
@Kunlun:  can you maybe comment on how easy a dynamic ciem is to drive compared to a multi-ba ciem?  I was gonna say to the OP that the Aurisonics are on sale today, and maybe the single dynamic is easier to drive out of the iPod?

From my experience with several of each, both dynamics and multi-ba ciems do better with amps. Actually, the easiest to drive ciem I have is the 3-driver Sensaphonics 3MAX. It's excellent and actually, looking back at what the OP desires in terms of sound, it's an exact match! I would strongly recommend it for him.

Dec 9, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
Thank you for your response anyway.
Ok, here is what i planed. I will definitely get an AMP or replace Ipod with other HIFI players such as HIFIMAN 901 in future, but, at least, that will happen after i get custom IEM. 
Because I can buy most Hifi portable players in a lower price when i go back to China . In U.S.A, the price is crazy, much higher than in China.
Moreover, after owning EX1000, i really start doubting my preference, and then i find that i want a very neutral custom IEM just like EX1000's style with better isolation, which most general IEM can't offer. 
It's definitely not wasting money; instead, i have to do that seemingly wasting way.

Honestly, EX1000's bass is already perfect for an IEM. You won't find anything like that on BA customs, be it the JH13,UE18,JH16. ES5 has relatively light bass that doesn't go as deep as even JH13, let alone EX1000.
Also, EX1000 has superior treble extension compare to BA customs.
I owned EX1000 before, I sold it solely due to the horrible isolation.
Try either the Futuresonics mg6pro (EM) or K3003.
I assure you that you won't find what you want in BA customs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back