Recommendation: Ifi Hip or Lotoo Paw S1?
Feb 28, 2021 at 5:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

alal

New Head-Fier
Hi,

Need some help in deciding which portable DAC that supports MQA to buy. Don't want to spend more than ~£160.

Been reading a lot, but can really decide which one to buy:
- Ifi Hip
- Lotoo PAW S1

Any one having both that can help me?

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #3 of 12
My friend has the Lotoo S1 and it is very good as SQ, it is quite small and comfortable and you don't have the worry of the battery. And it doesn't consume much that of the smartphone. I would take S1 under € 200.

Hip Dac may also sound too warm for my taste, from what I've read. But I didn't listen to it.

I would also consider a Dragonfly Cobalt if you can find it, for me it is quite superior to the S1.

Mar 1, 2021 at 1:10 PM Post #4 of 12
What are you planning on using both with? Happy to provide some insight on how the hip-dac once I know your set-up a little better.

The hip-dac does lean on the warm side as do many iFi products do, as we are known for a warm, smooth, and resolving house sound.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #6 of 12
My friend has the Lotoo S1 and it is very good as SQ, it is quite small and comfortable and you don't have the worry of the battery. And it doesn't consume much that of the smartphone. I would take S1 under € 200.

Hip Dac may also sound too warm for my taste, from what I've read. But I didn't listen to it.

I would also consider a Dragonfly Cobalt if you can find it, for me it is quite superior to the S1.
I prefer the S1 to the DragonFly Cobalt, but it's personal preference.

Mar 2, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #7 of 12
The hip DAC is also much bigger than the S1. I ended up selling the hip DAC in favor of the S1, which could easily dangle from my phone, while the hip DAC had to be carried separately or strapped. The hip DAC had the capability for much more bass boost especially with the XBass feature. The S1 has some very good sounding EQ profile to tune it warmer to my own preferences. I recall the S1 having a wider soundstage and better layering, but it might not be as vast a difference as my memory wants me to believe.

May 31, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #11 of 12
I am testing

THX Onyx
Luxury & Precision W2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back