Recessed highs... Please
Apr 26, 2011 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

Bob007

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I'm finding the highs very harsh on all of my headphones and I'm looking for some closed cans with recessed

upper mids and highs (from 6/7khz to 14khz; I can't hear above it). Some kind of non-audiophile cans maybe.

Budjet: 150$ max. Something relaxing and forgiving on bright recordings but with a good sound nonetheless.

Maybe the ATH-M30, HD438, SRH550DJ (with SRH750DJ pads), MDR-XB500, T50rp? Others ideas?

Apr 26, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #4 of 46

Quote:
Why not tweak your EQ settings in the upper region by -1 or -2 db?

I was just thinking the same thing.  If the highs are an issue, then one could spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars trying to chase down the right headphone - yet, overlook that built-in feature of the EQ that we have available for free.

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #5 of 46
Thanks for your replies.

About EQing:

I already EQ the phones I have (even if the results are not always satisfaying), but the problem is that I don't always use an EQable source; I would prefer to have this EQ build in the phones directly.

About AIAIAI's tma-1:

I didn't know this one. Thanks for the recommendation.
Some things that worry me a bit about it:

It's over the ear (I would prefer circumaural; sorry I din't say it earlier)
It's a bit over my budget.
It seems to have a bump in the 5/8khz region that doesn't reassure me; is it hearable?

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #6 of 46
Sennheiser's line of headphones(with a few exceptions) is well-known for their darker(decreased treble) sound signature.  Perhaps the HD228 or the PMX200-II would be credible options for you? 

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #7 of 46
I am not all too hot about superaural cans either, but the tma-1 are comfortable, even with my rather smallish ears, and they still provide great isolation, which is especially nice for portable use.

The bump was noticeable at first, but with time it flatened itself a bit (I read of some that didn't hear anything like it at all) But even at the start it's nothing incredible harsh, since the overall sound signature is dark, at times even a bit veiled, but that shouldn't be all too bad for someone looking for that sort of thing. :D

Apr 26, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #8 of 46
Sennheisers are generally known to have fairly relaxed and rolled off treble among audiophile cans. The HD555 fits easily in your budget - you may be able to find a really good price (although potentially used) on a HD558 or HD595 too, if you look around.

Although, if portability is a major concern, these types of open models may not be what you're looking for.

Apr 26, 2011 at 12:14 PM Post #9 of 46
Sennheiser could be a good idea, but it will have to be closed (and circumaural if possible; HD438 maybe). I already have a HD600 which I like, although sibilant at times (maybe it's the burnin' time; around 10h for the while). And one day, I'll upgrade to the HD650 which is supposed to be smoother.
For now, I'm just looking for some decent cheap cans that don't fatigue my ears at all, for long background listening or to get to sleep with. Something I won't be afraid to break.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #10 of 46

Quote:
Sennheiser could be a good idea, but it will have to be closed (and circumaural if possible; HD438 maybe). I already have a HD600 which I like, although sibilant at times (maybe it's the burnin' time; around 10h for the while). And one day, I'll upgrade to the HD650 which is supposed to be smoother.
For now, I'm just looking for some decent cheap cans that don't fatigue my ears at all, for long background listening or to get to sleep with. Something I won't be afraid to break.

If you're looking for something to use while going to sleep, have you considered In Ear Monitors?  With summer coming around the corner, most headphones might seem a bit warm on the ears when you're trying to relax and go to sleep.

Apr 26, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #11 of 46
I suggest finding someone/somewhere to hear the Senn HD2X8 series. I have the hd218 and reach for them the most out my headphones because they are non-fatiguing and very comfortable.

btw what are your sources?

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 46
About the in-ear monitors, while they're great for going outside (small + good isolation), I tend not to use them at home because of the slight discomfort issue I have with them.

About the Senn HD2X8 series, they seem to have the kind of sound I'm looking for ("expect smooth sound and laid-back treble, nice for getting rid of any harshness in your recordings" according to Headroom, concerning the HD228), but they are over the ear.

My source will be the EMU0404. If needed, I could use a PPAv1 amp (that I have in the next room).

Apr 26, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #13 of 46
ATH A900, although, i honestly think your issue is brightness in headphones and maybe you should go with something with a flatter more natural treble response.what headphones do you currently have? do you have hearing damage?

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:12 PM Post #14 of 46
I don't think I have hearing damages except, of course, that I can't hear above 14khz. I've done some tests on the Internet and the rest of the frequencies was very clearly heard.
I think I have an issue with brightness in headphones indeed, especially with percussions in rock music and soul (tambourine gets on my nerves quickly for example) and vocals (sibilance).

Current headphones (none of them perfectly smooth):

HD600, K240DF, SRH840, RE0

Gone (because of harsh highs):

UR40, MDR-V6, DT150, ATH-M50, K271 MK II.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #15 of 46
weird, im guessing you probably do have some sort of hearing damage, does it physically hurt to listen to what you are describing as "harsh"? none of the above phones are harsh except maybe the beyers. the MDR v6 is dark with unnaturally rolled off highs, so is the K271. the M50 has pretty accurate highs and as far as the UR40, i honestly cant comment on that one but if its anything like any of the koss phones ive heard it is certainly not bright.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back