Received My Sennheiser IE7; My First Impressions/Comparison vs. PFE
Apr 2, 2009 at 2:48 AM Post #61 of 105
So, if I may ask, how are you liking the IE7s now that you've had about a day with them? I would like to hear your impressions after a bit of burn in.

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #62 of 105
O damn...

Ha - well between you the two of you (Deus/my.self) - you've got me doing more thinking.

my.self - you might remember the thread I started some time ago asking about the Phonaks vs X10s. Well, got the Phonaks in today (14 day trial) - and I am loving the mids on them, but definitely missing the X10s bass quality/extension (though of course these have to much) and soundstage. IMO @ this early stage the X10 EQed >> the PFE (one problem being my mobile source, Zune 80, doesn't have an EQ...)

This of course where I am now (thanks to the comments in this thread) - looking at the IE7, which I think I can get for ~ $180 new. Not to mention - time to spam you guys with questions. So, question, my.self - I realize you've been having seal difficulties, but could you do more detailed contrast of the IE7/X10 bass in terms of quality/extension - correct that unlike the X10s it does not really intrude into the mids? Any other info, say on mids, would be appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif
. Also - the X10s are regarded as "warm" earphones - how "warm" are the IE7s? Comparison of sound signature to say... HD580/HD600? Finally - what kind of after market tips fit onto the IE7s - Olives? Complys?

Maybe I should just jump to my dream IEM, the SE530s

Apr 2, 2009 at 3:52 AM Post #63 of 105
hmm well i have only been burning in the ie7's for about 6.5 hours so far. ppl say i would need a lot more.

about the seal on the ie7 vs x10, heres the thing:

i dont think i necessarily have issues with the ie7, i think im just not USE to it. u see what im saying? because with the x10's i use to have, those gel tips were great, they go inside ur ear canal while the ie7's kinda close off the opening of the ear canal. the x10 tips are pointed, so they go in, the tips on the IE series are flat, not pointed, so they block out noise by sitting in front of the ear canal. i personally think im just not use to it and i keep thinking a good seal for me is that the ear tips are supposed to go inside the canal, which is what i was use to with the x10's. so its not really a matter of problem, more of a matter of getting use to something different.

about the bass...

the x10's i believe had a warmer sound signature, which i liked. since i havent burned the ie7's in for that long yet, the bass when i tried listening to them straight out of the box sounded like a stick being hit on the ground. it was quite sharp if u wanna call it that. its kinda hard to explain. according to other people, the ie7's really open up and sound a lot better after burn in. which i dont know yet because its only been about 6.5 hours. something else that i would have to accept is that, the ie7's dont have as big of an impact or punch as the x10's do. BUT, dont get me wrong, the ie7's really do have quite a big punch and impact, just not as much as the x10's i dont think. hopefully after burn in, the ie7's will have more impact/punch. the reason why i switched over to the ie7's was because i wanted something with more mids and still having good punchy bass. i really liked the bass on the x10's, but the mids were a bit recessed for my taste. and no, the bass on the ie7's dont intrude on the mids, thats why i kind of thought the x10's mids were a bit recessed was because of the bass. its a tough thing for me because i listen to rap/hip hop as well as rock/heavy rock etc. so i really wanted the best of both worlds, im pretty sure tho after the ie7's burn in, i think id like those better than x10's. the quality of bass on the x10 is very good. clear quality bass (assuming u have a good source and good quality music).

heres a little summary:

x10: excellent bass, good punch, extension, mids were OK, not bad
ie7: good bass as well, maybe not as big of punch, but definitely still suitable for hip hop/rap, mids were much better than x10.

the summary i gave on the ie7 was based straight out of the box listening. i havent listened to them yet after that, still burning them in, gonna wait a lil bit longer.

what ive read around here.....the IE6 actually has more bass (punch/extension etc) than ie7, but the ie7 is better at everything else (mids/clarity/soundstage...etc). by no means am i saying that the IE6 sucks at the mids/clarity or soundstage at all. i would assume there pretty good too.

ill prolly post up more impressions as time goes on.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:00 AM Post #64 of 105
Good stuff my.self, and don't worry, the bass will DEFINITELY get more refined and have more shape to it. However, it doesn't get much harder than they already are in the sense of pure impact. I only started getting more impact/punch when I started using the foamies. But the thing is, the detail of the bass is what I love, even though it doesn't hit as much as I think I want it too, it delivers very clear, tight, accurate bass.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:07 AM Post #65 of 105
Thanks guys for some very informative posts. Sounds like the IE7s are the middle ground I'm looking for...

Given the insane deal I just spotted for some IE7s , think I'll order them up and do a 3 way
biggrin.gif
. Maybe this can be my Head-Fi contribution

Just to make sure - they'll take the Comply foam tips right (deal is w/o any of the tips)?

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #66 of 105
Umm...I think the nozzle on the IE7s are too wide for the Comply tips...I could be wrong though, I just remember how thin the hole was when I was using the tips for the PFEs.

Apr 2, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #68 of 105
Oh nice, go for it man, can't wait to hear your impressions. I'm sure you'll like the IE7s as well.

Apr 2, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #70 of 105
I've been looking to get the IE7's instead of the IE8's to replace my recently sold Klipsch Custom-3's. Just a question for the OP: those "bass vents" on the IE7, are they really open? I'm concerned that sweat may get in via those openings and damage the driver.

Apr 2, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #73 of 105
Did you happen to pick up a pair of IE 7 on the streets?
wink.gif

I do not think that the parts are available for sale yet, but you can call Sennheiser CS and ask them. The part numbers are available here:

Sennheiser Worldwide - IE 7

I know of at least one head-fi'er who has succedded in buying extra IE silicon tips by calling their CS.

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #74 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been looking to get the IE7's instead of the IE8's to replace my recently sold Klipsch Custom-3's. Just a question for the OP: those "bass vents" on the IE7, are they really open? I'm concerned that sweat may get in via those openings and damage the driver.

Well, I was just looking at those vents, and while they seem to be open, I think there's a filter or something between the vents and then the driver inside. It should be fine, but just a question for ya, do your ears sweat on the inside to actually get some moisture on that part of the earpiece? Seems like an unlikely place to get sweat.

Apr 2, 2009 at 12:53 PM Post #75 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyone know where ican just buy ie7 accessories? like everything in the box except the ie7's?

thanks

try emailing them. I got a response to call their sales department, but I've never managed to get anybody to pickup on their sales line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back