Received My Sennheiser IE7; My First Impressions/Comparison vs. PFE
Mar 30, 2009 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

DeusInvictus7

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so after being IEM-less for the past week, my Sennheiser IE7 arrived this morning, half an hour before I had to leave to go to work. Here are a few pics I took about 5 min ago:

DSC01483.jpg

DSC01488.jpg

DSC01491.jpg

So fast forward to now, and after about half an hour of listening to them, I decided to post my impressions. First things first, these things SHINE. I know I haven't burned them in effectively yet, but I already prefer them compared to the PFE. I'll get to why I think that later on.

Build Quality/Aesthetics:The first thing I noticed on the IE7s was the cable, since Sennheiser really put the emphasis on them with the "kevlar coating" and all. The cable is very flexible, and movable, without feeling flimsy. One of the problems I had with the PFE was that the cable felt a little stiff and as time went on, they hardened, causing them to crack. One con maybe is that for me, they are easily tangled, but I guess that's just the way I store and take them with me, so YMMV. Anyway, the earpieces are actually bigger than I had thought, but in a good way, since they fit my ear perfectly. One of the main things that drew me to the IE7 was the style of them, and they are much nicer looking and unique in person than any pics will show. Comparing to the PFE, even though the IE7s are plastic as well, they still seem a bit better built, it is a little hard to tell, since the PFE is on the glossy smooth plastic side, where as the IE7 is on the textured, more matte feel. Very well done on the style and build quality side.

Accessories: I was actually amazed at how much stuff came with the IE7, and by stuff I really mean the tips. 8 different sizes and types, so you can totally find one that will fit your ear. I chose the Small silicons, but the small foamies seem to be my second pick. The case that comes with them is also very nice, brushed aluminum, although I would never see myself using it.

Fit: I chose to make this a separate section, mainly because of how different they are compared to the PFE. For me, the PFE had to go pretty deep into the ear to get a proper seal, and for some reason, the left side always squeezed itself out, no matter what. On the IE7, they are much shallower in comparison, and the way that the actual body of the earpiece makes them stay in my ear better than the PFE, without losing the seal. It almost feels like I am wearing custom IEMs, that's how perfectly they fit my ear.

Sound Quality: Ok, so here is where it will get pretty subjective, since it is MY ears doing the testing, so yeah. I'll try to separate the bass, mids, and highs into their own sections, but there might be some overlapping.

Bass: The bass on the IE7 is plenty as far as quantity goes, and for quality, well, all I'll say is that it is better than the PFE, since they are the only other IEM that I have owned. Very good extension, and really quick. Comparing to the PFE, there is a lot more thump, but without getting muddy or taking away from the mids or highs. This is what I have heard from only about an hour of listening, since I am listening to them as I type this.

Mids: Mids has always been hard for me to describe, and there's really not much to say when comparing to the PFE. They sound pretty much the same in this regard. Clarity wise, it's hard to say, but I can say that the PFE are a bit more analytical, where the IE7 is more fun to listen to. But that line is pretty thin, and very blurry.

Highs: If I had to pick a word for the highs, it would have to be Sparkly. However, I felt the same when I was listening to the PFE. I will keep this section updated after I have properly burned them in, but it is at this point the same as the mids. Pretty much the same as the PFE.

Soundstage: HUGE compared to the PFE. You can really feel like you are in the middle of the band you are listening to, and if you close your eyes, you can pretty much imagine exactly where each of the instruments are. I love it. A lot of people have said similar things when comparing the PFE and the IE8, and I do believe that, since the IE7 does the same.

Now, it may seem like I had the most to say about the bass, which is exactly right, since that is really the only place that the IE7 is much different from the PFE, and the IE7 is actually exactly what I was looking for in an IEM. This is not to say that the PFE is bass-light, because they are not, but the IE7 just has that extra umph that some of the people debating on this topic have been wondering about.

I'll add some more to this later tonight, since right now I am about to go see Monsters vs. Aliens
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:01 PM Post #2 of 105
Thanks for your post. I take it you were using the black filters with the PFE? And what are you using for your source? And since you are IEMless, you don't have the PFE to compare with directly? And finally, are you getting the PFEs back?

I am looking forward to hear your thoughts after burn in (and maybe head-to-head vs. the PFE).

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM Post #3 of 105
This is a comparison I've been looking forward to, a step down from the ie8 and more in line with the PFE's price. The IE7 is still a little more expensive though but not far.

Get some more time on the IE7s and expact your review.

Phonak's normal hearing products are in the multi-thousand dollar range. Their PFE was really built as a budget IEM. It's a very good attempt, but as you've noticed, build is well built but basic to keep costs low. I personally haven't seen any issues with the cords, pretty standard issue.

Spend some time swapping back and forth between both on songs. Write down notes on differences you here, preferences, etc. Update your review as new aspects shine through. It might be useful to comment on previous hardware and personal preferences in sound as to help us understand your familiarity and what angle you may be coming from.

Have fun with the IE7.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 105
The impressions sound exactly like the IE8? What was supposedly improved by the new version?

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:19 PM Post #7 of 105
thanks for the review!!

i'm in the same boat actually... i just dropped off my PFE's at the post office this afternoon..

my IE7's will be in here in 2 days
smily_headphones1.gif

btw, what genres do you listen to?

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 105
Nice impressions! This makes me want to try ie7/8 even more.

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:38 PM Post #9 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The impressions sound exactly like the IE8?
What was supposedly improved by the new version?

What new version? The IE8 isn't a new version of the IE7. They share some similarities, huge soundstage and plenty of bass, but they don't sound alike.

Hi DeusInvictus7, very nice comparison, and I agree with your impressions. I don't suppose you tried amping the Phonaks when you had them? I did, and it really did improve them even with a really cheap amp, but the amp + Phonaks is the same price as the IE7 (here in the UK, anyway) - and the IE7 don't need boosting to sound their best, whereas I felt the Phonaks did. Glad you're enjoying your IE7, that's the main thing
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 11:44 PM Post #10 of 105
Oh, that's what I get for assuming.
redface.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #11 of 105
DeusInvictus7-
Great first impressions, and glad you're enjoying the IE7's right out of the box. They will continue to get more refined as they get some time on them- either with burn in, or just normal listening.

The differences you're describing are what I heard too between the PFE's and the IE8's. My PFE's were always unamped as a point of reference.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #12 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by LordBread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice impressions! This makes me want to try ie7/8 even more.

Me too... damn.
frown.gif

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 105
Ok, so to answer a few questions/thoughts:

@average_joe: Yes, I was using the black filters on the PFEs, however I did have quite a few problems with the filters, long story short, all the filters that I put into the left channel tore for no reason really...very frustrating. I am using an original iPhone as my main source, unamped. While I was writing my impressions, I was using my MacBook. Unfortunately, I do not have the PFEs anymore, since they have been having quite a bit of problems and I just sent it back to get the money back to try something else. I wish I had the money to keep both, but I do not.

@mvw2: I really wish I could have done a head to head, and I do kinda regret sending back the PFE before I ordered the IE7, since I could have done one if I had waited. But what's done is done. On the plus side, I do still remember very clearly what the PFE sounded like, so my opinions aren't totally distorted.

@koven: I mainly listen to alternative rock, but often change it up to some acoustic guitar stuff, or trance/techno and a lot of metal. Anything except "gangsta rap" basically lol.

@soozieq: No, I do not have them amped. I guess it's a personal preference thing, but for me, it would be a big inconvenience carrying an amp with me while I'm out and stuff. I guess that's what adds to me liking the IE7s more, since they do not need to be amped, they already come with that "boost" that the PFE gets when amped, only right out of the box.

Glad to help anyone that wanted the comparison, I will definitely keep this updated as my IE7s get more time to get broken in.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:40 AM Post #14 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusInvictus7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
]
Now, it may seem like I had the most to say about the bass, which is exactly right, since that is really the only place that the IE7 is much different from the PFE, and the IE7 is actually exactly what I was looking for in an IEM. This is not to say that the PFE is bass-light, because they are not, but the IE7 just has that extra umph that some of the people debating on this topic have been wondering about.

I'll add some more to this later tonight, since right now I am about to go see Monsters vs. Aliens
biggrin.gif

Glad you found what you were looking for. Now I am curious to try the IE7/IE8.

Watch it in 3D if you can. Coraline was awesome in real3D the new circular polarizing 3D tech is really so much better than the old stuff.

Mar 31, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #15 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by oarnura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Watch it in 3D if you can. Coraline was awesome in real3D the new circular polarizing 3D tech is really so much better than the old stuff.

Oh of course I watched in 3D! haha. It kinda made my eyes hurt after a while though, but it was cool. Hilarious movie too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back