Received AKG K240s...
Jan 20, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #16 of 117
Awesome!! Your impressions are nearly identical to mine. I agree they don't have the big open image of the DT880, K501, or HD580... BUT for a $75 headphone to even approach those cans is a tremendous feat.

Enjoy!! Give them time... give your ears time.... My "honeymoon period" is long since over with the K240s, and I STILL feel they are a very good sounding headphone.

I agree with you, the bass bloat, while boosted... is NO WHERE near the most bassy headphones we often discuss (DT770, Porta).

I do believe they benefit from a recable, and There are some easy mods you can do to the cloth driver cover to further alter the sound.

Theyre an incredible headphone value. To my ears and sonic preferences they easily keep up with more costly headphones. There are times I prefer them to my MS2, HF1 and RS1... mainly movie watching, gaming..

IMHO they occupy a nice little spot between the Grado and Senn sound. Bigger soundstage than comparably priced Grados, Yet more aggressive and "in your head" than the HD580.

Enjoy!! They are very good cans for the $$$, their only real "flaw" (if you can call it that), is they need decent amplification.

Garrett

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #17 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
Is the 240s an open or closed can? Oh .... and how long is the cord? Thanks for the answers in advance!
wink.gif

First, the K240S is a semi-open can. This means that there is little (if any) isolation from external noises, while there is some (though not a whole lot of) sound leakage towards the exterior of the cans.

Second, the cord - which is a single-sided affair connected to the left earpiece, and is detachable via a mini-XLR connector - is nearly 10 feet long, and is terminated with a mini-plug with a screw-on 1/4" adapter.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:15 AM Post #18 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
Where did you get the k240s for so cheap?

eBay. Shipping was extra, so the total was actually $83-something. The seller has none up at the moment though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
First, the K240S is a semi-open can. This means that there is little (if any) isolation from external noises, while there is some (though not a whole lot of) sound leakage towards the exterior of the cans.

Actually, I think they do have some isolation from external noises... it's enough to be helpful with computer fans and such, although nowhere near the level of IEMs. If someone asked me if they isolate, my answer would be yes, enough to be helpful in noisy situations. Not that I'd recommend them for portable use, they're exceedingly ugly on the head for one thing.

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:37 AM Post #19 of 117
Heh, I think it's time to upgrade to the K340...you get the bass & tonal fullness of the K240 along with the speed & detail of the K501.
340smile.gif

Unfortunately it's out of production...

Jan 20, 2006 at 4:41 AM Post #20 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by TenaciousO
Where did you get the k240s for so cheap?

If you do a search on the headphones for sale forum you can find K240s going down all the way to $50 (no one was buying them). There was also a replacement cable floating around for roughly $25 as well.

Jan 20, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #23 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by K2Grey
If you do a search on the headphones for sale forum you can find K240s going down all the way to $50 (no one was buying them). There was also a replacement cable floating around for roughly $25 as well.

Yeah, I saw that, but it was already 2 years old and with cracking pads. Replace the pads, and it's not much of a deal.

Jan 20, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #24 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by coffeeaddict
Has anyone listened to both the K240S and the V6?

I own both... but not simultaneously.

The V6's biggest flaws are its recession from ~350-700 Hz, and harsh midrange resonances around 3500Hz.

The AKG is an overall better can.
Garrett

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:37 AM Post #25 of 117
Update... rhythmic smooth jazz sounds very good with these cans. There's a deep flow and groove to the music that's practically absent with my other cans.

Starting to get a very good hint of why lini calls these "groovalizers." It's like each note flows into the next so smoothly and liquidly, you want to get up and move. It's putting a big smile on my face
smily_headphones1.gif
. A major part of hi-fi is conveying the emotion of the music, and K240S sure does it effectively with beat-oriented music.

Jan 20, 2006 at 6:59 AM Post #26 of 117
i totally agree. i love the way jazz and classical sounds on them! the groovalizer description is really well deserved. i find that instrumental music sounds so smooth and notes flow from one to the next. because of their somewhat recessed highs, dream theater, who records their cds a little too hot, has become more bearable to listen to on these cans. on the hf1, i can only take about 30 minutes of train of thought before the highs become overwhelming. the k240s have become my main cans at work.

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:12 AM Post #27 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by fureshi
i totally agree. i love the way jazz and classical sounds on them!

Don't think I could take the amount of bass for classical, IMO too much bass messes up classical (and general acoustic) pretty badly. But for most other stuff, great cans... as stated, if I'd started with these cans I would probably be off somewhere listening to music instead of blowing money here on head-fi
tongue.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #28 of 117
Glad you like them, I love mine.

Here is something you have to try though. This takes 10-20 seconds and is completely reversable in the same amoutn of time.

Take off the ear pads, they slide off easy. Then take off the large black foam pads covering the drivers, put the ear pads back on. This made a nice difference in sound quality. I didn't believe a pad mod could make such a big difference till I tried it myself. I rotate between my Sony SA5000s and the AKG 240s a lot these days.

Jan 20, 2006 at 7:47 AM Post #29 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Svperstar
Glad you like them, I love mine.

Here is something you have to try though. This takes 10-20 seconds and is completely reversable in the same amoutn of time.

Take off the ear pads, they slide off easy. Then take off the large black foam pads covering the drivers, put the ear pads back on. This made a nice difference in sound quality. I didn't believe a pad mod could make such a big difference till I tried it myself.

x2!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back