Received AKG K240s...
Jan 23, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #106 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
People (around here) seem to have a lot of tolerance for too much bass, and very little tolerance for too little bass (given the general consensus of the K501).

I definitely agree, I prefer my bass to be neutral(or even rolled off a bit like the K501) which is why it surprised me I took a liking to the K240s. It took me about 2 weeks to really get used to the bass, and at first it was overwhelming. I've settled into the sound though.

Jan 23, 2006 at 9:40 PM Post #107 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by aerius
To me it seems the other way, a lot of people here seem to prefer having less than "neutral" amounts of bass, neutral in my case being defined as roughly similar to a Senn 650 or Grado HP-1000. I've lost track of the number of people who say the 650 has too much bass, and claim that headphones which roll off sharply below 50Hz are just about right.

I believe you have a point here.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm inclined to think that bass is one audiophile evil
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 1:00 AM Post #108 of 117
Can't you have your cake and eat it too? I mean, I am definately not a basshead... the K340 [or at least my pair] are not overdone in the bass and they are what I mostly listen to. They do have great definition and detail in the bass though, which I love. From time to time however, I enjoy the slightly overdone bass of the HF-1's... they have nice prat as well.
wink.gif

It really depends on the style of music and my frame of mind. If I had to choose, I would pick my K340's in a second... but I would long for the Grado's every once and a while.
frown.gif

Jan 24, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #109 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944
I definitely agree, I prefer my bass to be neutral(or even rolled off a bit like the K501) which is why it surprised me I took a liking to the K240s. It took me about 2 weeks to really get used to the bass, and at first it was overwhelming. I've settled into the sound though.

Just for the record, I was used to phones with comparatively lean bass response for years (K240M, K400, K501), but I've instantly enjoyed the K240S. However, there was a short transition period after the K501 during which I've mainly used the DT531 - so maybe the Groovalizer sound didn't completely roll over me all at once (unlike it apparently did for fewtch).

fewtch: Seems you don't really feel inclined to get used to the sound of the K240S then, I guess. Hmmm... DT440 isn't the most durable and comfy construction, plus it's a bit peaky in the treble - so I wouldn't fullheartedly recommend that. Whereas I'd suspect you'd find the DT531 somewhat drowned out in the midrange, so it'll sometimes be walked over by bass, too. So that probably wouldn't be the best choice for you, either. But what about the DT250/250 - considering that the K240S apparently was a shot over the goal for you, I could imagine that you'd like the DT250/250. That's a well extended, moderately closed, comfy and very durable construction - not exactly cheap, but still well worth the money, I'd say. Efficiency isn't too bad despite the high impedance, so the DT250/250 also works with portables up to moderately loud volumes, unless output power gets all too wimpy (= should be ok from 2x 10 mW up...). To my ears, this model combines studio monitor and fun sound, and bass is a lot tighter or far less swooshy than with the K240S.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 24, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #110 of 117
Quote:

most people (?) seem to prefer a greater-than-neutral amount of bass. Does it keep on increasing rhythm, drive and completeness to keep boosting the bass, or something?

For me, I think the reasons I'm a basshead are the following:

1. I spent over 7 years listening to every genre of reggae pretty much exclusively. Since bass is the most crucial and boosted component in reggae, I think my ears use that as a benchmark for my other listening.

2. My ears, while being very sensitive to high frequencies (one of the reasons I love the k240s' rolled off highs, incidentally), are not so sensitive to low frequencies. I notice while I'm listening sometimes that if I "pop" my ears lower frequencies sound a bit louder than before. I think it has to do with my ear tubing.

3. I listen to a lot of old, thin, rock recordings, which really need boosted bass to sound normal, even to a non basshead.

Everyone's hearing is different! I'm greatful that there are so many flavors of phone out there for us to find the right fit...

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:38 PM Post #111 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
But what about the DT250/250 - considering that the K240S apparently was a shot over the goal for you, I could imagine that you'd like the DT250/250. That's a well extended, moderately closed, comfy and very durable construction - not exactly cheap, but still well worth the money, I'd say.

I've been thinking about picking up a pair of these. I am looking for a decent closed headphone with a relaxing sound that won't break my wallet too bad. Just how similar is it to the K240S in terms of sound? If it's very similar, I don't think it'd be wise because I would end up just using one all the time. What do you think?

Jan 24, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #112 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by aphex944
I've been thinking about picking up a pair of these. I am looking for a decent closed headphone with a relaxing sound that won't break my wallet too bad. Just how similar is it to the K240S in terms of sound? If it's very similar, I don't think it'd be wise because I would end up just using one all the time. What do you think?

Not too similar, I'd say - otherwise it wouldn't make any sense to recommend it to fewtch, anyway.
wink.gif
DT250/250 is quite a bit more on the dry and neutral side, but still fairly groovy and musical. It sounds quite similar to the DT531, actually.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:37 AM Post #113 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
fewtch: Seems you don't really feel inclined to get used to the sound of the K240S then, I guess.

Correct. I feel it's not much better than the Portapro... there's less bass but Portapro has better treble IMO.

Quote:

Hmmm... DT440 isn't the most durable and comfy construction, plus it's a bit peaky in the treble - so I wouldn't fullheartedly recommend that. Whereas I'd suspect you'd find the DT531 somewhat drowned out in the midrange, so it'll sometimes be walked over by bass, too. So that probably wouldn't be the best choice for you, either. But what about the DT250/250 - considering that the K240S apparently was a shot over the goal for you, I could imagine that you'd like the DT250/250. That's a well extended, moderately closed, comfy and very durable construction - not exactly cheap, but still well worth the money, I'd say. Efficiency isn't too bad despite the high impedance, so the DT250/250 also works with portables up to moderately loud volumes, unless output power gets all too wimpy (= should be ok from 2x 10 mW up...). To my ears, this model combines studio monitor and fun sound, and bass is a lot tighter or far less swooshy than with the K240S.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Thanks for the suggestions... I haven't decided whether to do a full search for a 'groovalizer' that satisfies me, because I could end up wasting a lot of money before finding a headphone that satisfies me. I don't care if it works unamped or not, because I always amp (unless using portably, in which case the Portapro is already good enough).

Jan 25, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #114 of 117
You really don't like the Grado SR60? Did you give it a try (other than a headphone meet audition)? That's my groovalizer.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm on the same page as you about the HD580, the 240S and the DT880, so maybe you'd like the SR60 if you gave it a try.

Quote:

Correct. I feel it's not much better than the Portapro... there's less bass but Portapro has better treble IMO.

Thanks for the suggestions... I haven't decided whether to do a full search for a 'groovalizer' that satisfies me, because I could end up wasting a lot of money before finding a headphone that satisfies me. I don't care if it works unamped or not, because I always amp (unless using portably, in which case the Portapro is already good enough).

Jan 25, 2006 at 4:06 AM Post #115 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve999
You really don't like the Grado SR60? Did you give it a try (other than a headphone meet audition)? That's my groovalizer.
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm on the same page as you about the HD580, the 240S and the DT880, so maybe you'd like the SR60 if you gave it a try.

I had the SR-60 a few years ago, but don't remember enough about its sound to know if I'd like it at this point or not. I'd feel better getting a Grado SR-225 or something though, if I were gonna get a Grado.

Jan 25, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #116 of 117
I just ordered the alessandro ms1. I always found grado's to be fun but too fatiguing. I'll let you know how groovy it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back