reccommend a good stepped drill bit?
Jun 21, 2007 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

el_matt0

1000+ Head-Fier
ive got a nice heavy duty drill press in our basement, but no appropriate bits for drilling out aluminum enclosures. i know stepped drill bits are the way to go, but ive got NO idea on what a good size to get etc would be. its for a b22 and s22 case, so the sizes of hole ill need are for neutrik XLR connectors, amphenol tuchel c16 series connectors, an alps quad pot, etc. i dont want to spend a ton on it, just something thatll get the job done. any recs?

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:39 PM Post #2 of 7
I would't know a whole lot but I would say find the dimensions you need and go to a hardware or supply store and ask for reccoemendations to drill through metal with a bit

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 7
This is your best bet - Harbor Freight online for $8.99:
91616.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91616

The best I've seen them in the Harbor Freight stores is $9.99, so this online deal is pretty good - assuming you find something else that's worth the shipping, I guess. They come with a nylon pouch, too.

A single stepped drill bit like one of these is often as much as $30 at other places.

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 7
I've got a set of those, but even though they do work, they kinda suck compared to the Irwin bit I have (which costs more for a single bit than that set does). The only reason I bought the HF set was I needed ~3/4" or larger...

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #5 of 7
interesting..so the only advantage to a stepped bit over a regular metal bit is just u dont hafta swap out bits to drill different sized holes? or does the fact that you are drilling succesively larger holes, starting from a relatively small size, help to prevent the metal from tearing out? also, do you guys put a piece of wood like 2x4 "behind" the panel while drilling it out?

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by el_matt0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
interesting..so the only advantage to a stepped bit over a regular metal bit is just u dont hafta swap out bits to drill different sized holes? or does the fact that you are drilling succesively larger holes, starting from a relatively small size, help to prevent the metal from tearing out?

The latter. When it comes to metal-working, the enclosures we work with are actually very, very thin. A full-size drill bit on anything but the tiniest hole will rip the metal.
Quote:

also, do you guys put a piece of wood like 2x4 "behind" the panel while drilling it out?

Absolutely!

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 7
I use a Unibit that goes up to 1/2" as well as a 24mm HSS hole-saw for Neutrik D type panel mount units.
Works well so far for all my work with Neutrik locking jacks, Noble pots, TKD pots, ALPS (Blue Velvet & Black Beauty), C&K/ Lorlin etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back