reccomendations for amp er4s
Dec 18, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #31 of 33
So then what exactly is this "pinging" problem that occurs with the TTVJ Portable Millet? Is it like if you touch the case or move it while it's playing you hear a weird sound or something?

Dec 18, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #32 of 33
Yes, it is microphonic due to the tubes. It is not very sensitive so I do not consider this as a real problem.

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #33 of 33
PM exchange between Kostalex and I:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO
Hey there, I wanted to thank you for your recommendations on amps for the er4 (I have the P, but still)

Anywho, I was wondering what source you use with them?

I'm currently trying to decide between keeping my 160GB ipod classic or my new 8GB Fuze player and I really would like to base my system around these phones at this point.

I think that the TTVJ Portable Millet is out of my price range, but the Corda 2move is one I had looked at. Thing is I really like the sound of the er4p out of my Sansa Clip right now, but the ipod would be more convenient for use in the car and at work and stuff. Ipod just sounds plain worse than the sansa players with the er4p out of their respective headphone jacks. So do you think if I ran an LOD out of my Classic and used a 2move that it would give me SQ that equals or surpasses that of the Sansa players headphone jack?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kostalex
I had the same choice and chose both players I own Classic 160 and Clip, which sounds the same as the Fuze.

RE: sound quality. Classic has more refined sound on the line-out than Sansa. It is detailed, neutral and accurate. But it is cold, too analytical and boring at the same time. It is simillar to what you hear from headphone jack. Sansa is more lively and exciting, but it is less hi-fi. Millet pairs nice with Classic, adding warmth and soul to accuracy and details.

RE: Millet pricing. I bought mine used for $300. Check FS forums or place WTB there.

Caution: ER-4P hisses with Millet, ER-4S does not. You may convert P to S with an adapter.

Alternative: I found that previous iPods (5G, 5.5G, Mini) have the best of both worlds. My Mini 2nd Gen beats both Sansa and Classic, sounding detailed and lively the same time. Its HP out a bit weak so iPod 5G or 5.5G is better unamped. 32 GB modded Mini for $140.

Advice: ER-4P does not need amping. This is Classic which needs some "tubey sound reanimation" So, if you keep ER-4P, listen to any friends older iPod based on Wolfson chip. Likely you will be satisfied. Otherwise, keep both players. Get LOD and either amp. Then listen and sell the player you like less. Listening to gear before you buy or sell is better than listening to other head-fiers.

My personal prefs are:

ER-4P <= older iPod (most portable solution)
ER-4S <= Millet <= Classic (top capacity)
ER-4S <= Millet <= older iPod (top SQ combo)
ER-4S and some other headphones <= 3Move <= any player and PC (most versatile and practical combo)

It would be nice, if you post my answer to your thread for the use of other head-fiers. Or let me to post it along with your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back