reccomendations for amp er4s
Dec 16, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 33
Portable dawg show!

P51 Mustang from Ray is supposedly good with them. I think the Minibox E+ was designed around them. Practical Devices XM5 might be a gem; Larry's review will be done soon.

Dec 16, 2008 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 33
Decware Zen Head - I have ER4P (not S) but holy cow does that amp make the Etys sing. Truly gorgeous synergy, if you've ever wondered what Etys would sound like if they were just a touch more involving.

Dec 16, 2008 at 3:06 PM Post #8 of 33
As a rule of thumb, for ER-4 you may want to avoid bright sounding amp.

Xin uses ER-4 and he has been known to build amps around ER-4. I have tested the most recent SuperMini-IV (with +6db Bass Boost) and it really brought the ER-4S to the next level. So is SuperMicro-IV which will add unbelievable expanded headstage.

Very soon I will be able to test MiniBox-E+ and based on what I have read, the amp will surely shine with ER-4 as well (similar function to SuperMini-IV)

I have mixed feelings with RSA amps, the last RSA I listened to was a Tomahawk and I cannot recommed that amp for ER-4 pairing because Tomahawk has biased emphasis on treble which is not going to go well with ER-4.

I have also heard many claimed that TTJV Portable Millet will synergize well with ER-4 as well

So, keep in mind - look for warm tubey amp for ER-4
etysmile.gif

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #11 of 33
Amps I like most with ER-4S:

1. TTVJ Portable Millet - absolute euphonic winner, miles ahead of the rest, hours of pleasure and relaxation.

2. Meier Move - tubey sounding nice mids, unique combo of warmth and clarity, punchy bass, smooth and extended highs, excellent soundstaging.

And then the rest:

3. Pico - absolute neutrality, perfect reference combo (for tests, etc.).
4. XIN Supermicro IV - sense of presence, natural voices.
5. Fiio E3 - incredible value, makes ER-4S relaxed, warm and forgiving.

Dec 16, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #12 of 33
Just listened to #3 and #4 of my rank again. They are too close while provide different approach to sound. Former is more accurate and latter is more exciting.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:19 PM Post #13 of 33
I agree with Kostalex regarding the Meier Move synergy, haven't heard the TTVJ Portable Millet, but definitely the Meier Move with the ER4S is a very good combo. It gives the IEM a fuller meatier sound with that big clear and defined bottom end. It is the amp I used with my ER4S 80% of the time.

Dec 16, 2008 at 11:27 PM Post #14 of 33
Xin's Reference. Tubey sound is really lush with the Etys. Like the Mustang too, but not as much as a Xin amp with the Ety. More "there" there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back