Recable with John's Silver Teflon Wire
Oct 29, 2009 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

nightanole

100+ Head-Fier
Im going to start my recable using the ebay special 24 gauge 19 strand stuff. I was wondering how to make the cable since its 4 wires and no jacket. Should I do 2 twisted pair, then twisted together. Should i do 4 wires and the electric drill twist method. Should i try my hand at braiding(I sux after 2ft normally). Should i use a nylon jacket (dont want to use techflex).

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #2 of 16
Braid and sleeve it in nylon. Looks beautiful!
beerchug.gif

Oct 30, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 16
Here is a project i did in red. I did a 4 wire litz braid. The one in white TechFlex is the NavShip wire. The other pic is the wire before I covered it. I covered it in clear heat shrink then TechFlex. Looks and sound great. Once you get a hang of the braid its kind of fun. You just have to figure out a consistent method and stick with it to keep it even. The trick is to not try to do it too tight or too loose.

Oct 31, 2009 at 3:26 AM Post #8 of 16
I stay away from his wire for headphone cables, because its simply the most microphonic stuff imaginable, certainly without nylon the noise is unbearable, with techflex its even worse, nylon is OK, but still worse than the other wires I use; something about the teflon dielectric he uses just causes it like mad. only way to combat it I found was to add cotton damping and then sleeve with nylon. its decent enough for other cables I guess, but in general i'm not a huge fan of SPC no matter how you sleeve it. I did often wonder how he ran a shop called johns silver wire, but none of it is silver

Oct 31, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #12 of 16
Stiffness is usually attributed to jacket type. I've used XLO 26awg solid-core and it's incredibly soft and flexible while other types of 26 and 24 awg have been somewhere between "easily workable" and "stiff for such thin wire". Most of John's wire (the eBay guy
tongue.gif
) is pretty soft, just double check type of coating/insulation.

Oct 31, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 16
Well if my $10 experiment doesnt go as planned i can still use the nylon and the jack. Can you recommend a good bi wire? I gotta go in and out of the cups so i really dont want to have solder joints in the cans themselves for splitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back