Really really really good chocolate cake recipe?
Jun 16, 2009 at 5:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

fraseyboy

Headphoneus Supremus
So my birthday is coming up and I figured I'd get my mum to bake me a cake. And because chocolate is extremely nice, I figured it should be a chocolate one.

Anyone got any recipe's I can give to her? I'm looking for something delicious and moist.

Thanks.

Jun 16, 2009 at 9:33 AM Post #2 of 17
The best cakes are the ones you baked yourself. Even if you screw up it will still be delicious.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 16, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 17
Get a Queen of Sheba cake. It's a French recipe, so it's rich all right, none of that wimpy sponge cake stuff, thank you very much. It is made with more almond flour used than ordinary flour, and it's deliberately underbaked to have a moist gooey center. I once made one with ground pistachios instead of almonds. Coat it in a ganache rather than the chocolate-butter icing in the recipe.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 17
^
That sounds terribly delicious.
I was going to suggest a devil's food cake with free Snickers on top.
smily_headphones1.gif

The Queen of Sheba cake is probably 10 times better.

Jun 16, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #7 of 17
The ultimate chocolate cake is a German Chocolate Cake...

german%20chocolate%20cake.jpg

When done right, no other chocolate confection can match this gooey delight. Strictly my opinion on the topic.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:12 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ultimate chocolate cake is a German Chocolate Cake...

When done right, no other chocolate confection can match this gooey delight. Strictly my opinion on the topic.

You got a recipe for that?

The french sheba cake looks nice... And it has rum in it. Mmmm.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #10 of 17
Jun 17, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You got a recipe for that?

Here's the one my roommate and I tried a while back:

Original German Chocolate Cake With Coconut Pecan Frosting Recipe

It surprisingly came out good. I expected us to butcher it royally. We did just apply the coconut-pecan filling between layers and on the top. The rest was covered on the sides with thick chocolate frosting.

Mmmm.....I sense a bake-off in the future....

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:19 PM Post #13 of 17
You should add some berries to the cake too. Like strawberries sliced up and layered in w/ some cream and glaze.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #14 of 17
There are lots of good recipes. However, you want to make it entirely from scratch; don't use cake mixes. Also, tackle the frosting yourself, too. What you make yourself is far better than what comes in a can. You'll need a candy thermometer (not expensive) and some patience, but it's not hard to make.

The real secret is to use the best possible chocolate. My favorite is E. Guittard. I don't know if you can find their chocolate in NZ, but you should be able to find another good one like Valrhona or Bonnat. Check with chef's supply/industrial supply stores. You might not have heard of these, but these are to chocolate like Beyerdynamic or AKG are to headphones. Not found in the average retail store, but this is the chocolate you really want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back