Re-shell DBA-02 or JH-5?
May 24, 2011 at 6:46 AM Post #17 of 25

Quote:
Agree with that. The JH5s were very very good prior to getting the cable. I just took a chance after reading about the TWag on some other sites (and getting a nice discount), and I found it to be worthwhile. But it doesn't change my initial choice. I pondered a more expensive customs from the JHA lineup, but decided the JH5 was the sweet spot in terms of price to performance. I just "sweetened" it a little more with the cable, which is hardly mandatory to enjoy the JH5s (or any other custom for that matter).

Also, aesthetically and from a build perspective, I also prefer the TWag, but that should be the case considering its cost.

You go for price to performance, then you pay a quarter a price of the JH5s for nominal/dubious improvements? That is.. strange. I would disregard the TWAG cable, though that's personal opinion. Your signal goes through regardless what the wire happens to be made of, as long as it conducts. And "improving" the signal through the use of a better conducting material does not work the same way as increasing the bitrate of your source file, for example. The soundstage does not increase and frequencies do not get boosted, contrary to what some might believe.

Anyway this thread has been derailed to a completely unrelated topic of the TWAG cable, my advice to the OP (if you ever tire of your DBAs and upgradiditis strikes, which it will inevitably do sooner or later ^^) would be to consider the 1964Ts. I loved my DBA02s but found them a tad thin, and now after getting used to the 1964s I will not go back willingly to the DBAs. They are everything the DBAs are, just a whole lot meatier in the bass and mids section without compromising on detail. Trebles are still a tad thin, though if you're coming from DBAs they should sound just fine.

May 24, 2011 at 1:54 PM Post #18 of 25

Quote:
Another idiotic cable debate? Talk about derailing the thread.

I only mentioned the cable because it differentiates the Jh5s I own from the stock version. My bad if it was OT.

But your calling me strange because I bought the Jh5s and then an expensive cable is missing the point. I meant (in my post) that the Jh5s were the best JHA price to performance value, and I obviously bought the cable (which was discounted 33 percent) for this pair but also for if and when I upgrade to the 13s or 16s, which I probably will some day. And the cable us transferable. Had I no intention of upgrading, I might not have bought the cable. Oh, and your math skills are a bit off. I paid 50 percent of the price of the IEMs ($200 vs. $400) for the cable, not a quarter. Guess that makes me even stranger.

As for a cable being a dubious improvement, save it for the science forum. I believe it has made a difference and over time (I expect it will last for years) was a worthwhile investment in improving the Jh5s. Obviously, I read the negatives about upgrading cables before buying, and weighed them with the positives from some HFers whose knowledge and experience is valid too. So glad you are smarter than everyone who has been duped into wasting money on an upmarket cable. You certainly are intent on making it known here (your sig says it all).

Also, bringing the 64 T customs into the discussion is as much OT as the cable mention. The OP's headline pretty much asks DBA-02 reshell or Jh5? I have never heard the 64T and I doubt you have heard the Jh5s (real ones, not demos). I am certain if the OP heard the Jh5s after loving the DBAs, he would be very happy. Same might be true of the 64Ts. But no reason to disparage anyone here, since you were the first to bring negativity into the thread.

I totally agree with you. Don't you find it funny when people get all evangelical about no differences in cables upgrade just because they can't hear the differences themselves.

May 25, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #19 of 25

Quote:
Didn't want to say that, but yes I do find it funny. Why is it such a big deal? Can't people decide for themselves? For every naysayer, there is some happy owner who hears a difference. I would not tell someone they MUST buy an expensive cable or they are being silly/strange, so why should the opposite be true?

Anyway, the OP asked Jh5 or DBA-02 reshelled, and I think the former is a best option, albeit the more expensive one. I believe he has decided to get the DBAs reshelled and then see what happens later re customs. That works too.

Setting the irrelevant cable issue aside, considering I have owned the DBA-02 and was considering the exact same upgrade as he was, I do not see how bringing in my opinion on a viable upgrade choice would be OT. Considering he also went finally with the choice to rehshell his DBAs, I believe the mention on cable upgrades for the JH5s are rather uneccessary to the OP's situation. I have heard the JH5s, albeit demo versions because the only alternative would have been to purchase them. The seal at that point in time was perfect and I perfectly understood why people would love the JH5s (I did at that time but went with the unknown which I deemed better value), I do not see how my opinion on my eventual preference is of no consequence to the thread. I apologize if my first comment was interpreted to be an insult to your character, it was not. I simply commented that that decision you took was contradictory to your earlier intents from my perspective, and did not mean in the least to bring negativity into the thread :)

May 25, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #21 of 25
good news - i emailed Kozee about the dba-02's and they said no problem, they've reshelled dba-02's without any problems. just waiting for my supplies to send them my ear molds. 

Did you ever received them? If so how were they?? How long did you have to wait.
I might be getting the dba 02 soon and might be considering reshelling them

May 25, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #23 of 25
Oh, whoops, totally didn't notice your post lost amidst the wire flame war.... I'm living in Asia these days though, and UM is my best bet for remolds.. :-/

I'll try contacting them directly in China to see if they've had more success lately.

Quote:
good news - i emailed Kozee about the dba-02's and they said no problem, they've reshelled dba-02's without any problems. just waiting for my supplies to send them my ear molds. 

May 25, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #24 of 25
i actually just cancelled my order with them. i placed my order almost 2 weeks ago and still didn't even receive my impressions kit. i'm going to find out if fischer hearing can do it.

Yeah I heard Fischer Hearing are good with their remold

May 25, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #25 of 25
after receiving my re-molds, I kind'a wish I had taken some of the opinions on universal reshells. I am currently in the process of having them tweaked, but my TF10's sounded a little odd. The 8k+ hz was more recessed than normal and the bass impact dropped by ~4db; oddly, the rumble was more pronounced, the reshells had just lost a bit of character.
If you want to go for customs, I'd encourage looking into going buying an actual custom. The 1964D's look really affordable. If I werent so comitted to the TF10's, I would have gone with a pair of 1964's.
anyway, just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back