Re-shell DBA-02 or JH-5?
May 6, 2011 at 5:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

nyjets28

1000+ Head-Fier
I recently got a pair of DBA-02's and they are by far the best IEM's that I've ever owned. I love the sound - its just so balanced. I'm not very good at describing sound so please don't ask me to haha. Before I got these I was also planning on getting a pair of customs and was considering the JH-5 as they are relatively inexpensive compared to some other customs and have some very good reviews that I read. But I love the sound of these DBA-02's so much that I'm just considering re-shelling these instead. 

I've also had a difficult time finding a good fit, in terms of tips to use for my DBA-02s. I've use the stock tips and also sony hybrids, but I just can't seem to get a good enough insertion. I figure with customs, I'll get the perfect fit and the perfect sound and just maybe my search for the perfect IEM's may finally come to an end, at least for me. 

Any suggestions? 

thank you in advance!

May 6, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 25
This is something I'm considering as well; I think the DBA-02 would do well with a reshell, considering most of the variances in SQ perception between users lies in the insertion depth and angle. My left and right ear canals have differing angles of insertion, and so the fit isn't as good on the left ear. Now the debate is whether doubling the number of drivers on the DBA-02 would make a difference...
biggrin.gif

May 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #3 of 25
I've got both the JH5 and the DBA-02. The JH5 compared the the DBA has fuller lows and mid and an overall more wholesome sound. The DBA-02 is definitely leaner. The JH5 is pretty forward, but it sounds good. The balance seems very good to me. Also, in the JH Audio line, the JH5 is a very good value. I've heard demos of them all, and never felt the 5 was lacking compared to the rest, the balance and flavor is there.

However, my DBA-02s have gotten much more use since its much more practical out and about. Both are very good. A custom is a custom and a universal is a universal I feel, and both have different flavors. If you want a brighter sound I think the Ultimate Ears 4 Pro seemed to be, the demo at least.

May 7, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 25
If the DBA-02 suits you and you want them in a custom form then go for it. However the customs that I have tried that are meant to be customs (ie: no TF10 reshell, etc) are superior to the DBA-02 so it depends on if you are happy with the DBA-02 and want that level or something higher. I really liked the DBA-02 but I wouldn't trade either of my customs for it.

May 17, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #8 of 25
Well, that's what UM lab says... I dunno if it's actually true but that was their experience; I'd normally take Unique Melody's statements at face value too, considering their track record. I was going to do the same thing and reshell my DBAs... this puts a damper on things. Let me know if yours is successful. Maybe UM happened to come across an especially tricky pair of DBAs to work with at the onset.

May 17, 2011 at 4:15 AM Post #9 of 25
I'm opting to get custom sleeves for the DBA in addition to a new custom.. yeah not the most pleasing from an aesthetic point of view but I don't really wear the DBA anywhere but around the house.. I wouldn't risk trying to reshell them if there is a known risk for driver damage. 

May 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 25
haha I'm opposite to you. I tend to wear the DBA-02 on the go, and prefer the GR07 in my room. Custom sleeves will also solve my fit issues with the DBA, but I'm afraid that they won't allow me to sit the housings flush with the ear like I like them to be..

Quote:
I don't really wear the DBA anywhere but around the house.. I wouldn't risk trying to reshell them if there is a known risk for driver damage.

May 17, 2011 at 12:51 PM Post #12 of 25
Well there have been Russian websites which have taken apart the DBA02, so I think it might actually be possible to extricate the drivers from the earphones?

May 19, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 25

Quote:

However, my DBA-02s have gotten much more use since its much more practical out and about. Both are very good. A custom is a custom and a universal is a universal I feel, and both have different flavors. If you want a brighter sound I think the Ultimate Ears 4 Pro seemed to be, the demo at least.

shane55 does not appreciate his UE4Pro the same way he does his DBA-02 as a FYI.

May 23, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #15 of 25
Out of curiosity, do you really feel that dropping the extra $$ on the TWag cable makes more of a difference to the JH5s than, say, spending more on a higher-priced custom, or even going for a (used) JH13/16? Of course, the cables are transferable between similar models, whereas customs can't be swapped as easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back