RCA-RCA cables
Nov 24, 2006 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

PYROphonez

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, I know absolutely nothing about DIY, but I want to make myself some DIY 10 foot dual rca-rca cables on the cheap. Can someone lead me in the right direction for materials and instructions? I will actually probably just get some junky parts from radioshack, just because it's convenient. If I really get into the DIY thing, I may move up to more pricy materials. What kind of wire will I need from the shack?

My dad has the solder and everything, and I'm sure he could help me out. I want to get into this while I'm young (15) so I can progress over the years.

I looked at the stickied interconnect instruction post, but it kind of confused me at a glance.

Thanks in advance.

Nov 24, 2006 at 9:51 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I know absolutely nothing about DIY, but I want to make myself some DIY 10 foot dual rca-rca cables on the cheap. Can someone lead me in the right direction for materials and instructions? I will actually probably just get some junky parts from radioshack, just because it's convenient. If I really get into the DIY thing, I may move up to more pricy materials. What kind of wire will I need from the shack?

My dad has the solder and everything, and I'm sure he could help me out. I want to get into this while I'm young (15) so I can progress over the years.

I looked at the stickied interconnect instruction post, but it kind of confused me at a glance.

Thanks in advance.

First you need to define what exactly do you want, twisted paris, or coaxials, a good starting point is Canare cable (Starquad my favorite for twisted pairs) and any good plug....

Nov 24, 2006 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 9
For some RCA cables "on the cheap", you definitely can't beat going to www.redco.com, buying some "Canare L-2T2S" at $0.39 / foot if you want 2 wires (1 for each RCA cable), or you can get some "Canare L-4E6S" at $0.45 / foot which has 4 cables inside and you can carry both signal/ground pairs in one wire. Then grab some Neutrik RCA plugs, nickel palted "NYS 352" for $0.68 or gold plated "NYS 352G" for $1.01.

Now your total for a pair of 10 foot RCA-RCA is anywhere between $7.22 (10' StarQuad + 4x NYS352) to $11.84 (Pair of 10' Balanced + NYS352G)

Any way, you're looking at a very cheap cable which will perform VERY well over any store-bought $10 range cable.

Nov 25, 2006 at 4:50 PM Post #4 of 9
ccc1.png

ccc2.jpg

DIY A/V RCA Compression Connector Cables

Nov 30, 2006 at 1:01 AM Post #5 of 9
Alright, right now I'm planning on taking FallenAngel's advice.
I think I've decided on the L-4E6S with the NYS 352G, costing $8.54
I have one question still. What would I have to cover the exposed wire with?

Nov 30, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alright, right now I'm planning on taking FallenAngel's advice.
I think I've decided on the L-4E6S with the NYS 352G, costing $8.54
I have one question still. What would I have to cover the exposed wire with?

Sounds like a good plan. When you say exposed wire I presume you mean the junction between the jack and the cable. If so then heatshrink is the way to go. You can also cover it with nylon sleeving. Redco has a pretty complete stock.

The L-4E6S is a good cable from what I've heard but you might want to consider the Mogami version (http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=493) IIRC it has slightly better capacitance figures and supposedly has a better shield. (Not that it will probably be noticeable IMHO)

Nov 30, 2006 at 9:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by blip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a good plan. When you say exposed wire I presume you mean the junction between the jack and the cable. If so then heatshrink is the way to go. You can also cover it with nylon sleeving. Redco has a pretty complete stock.

The L-4E6S is a good cable from what I've heard but you might want to consider the Mogami version (http://www.redco.com/shopexd.asp?id=493) IIRC it has slightly better capacitance figures and supposedly has a better shield. (Not that it will probably be noticeable IMHO)

Thanks for the reccomendation. I was choosing the L4E6S because it was all four cables in one, but I think I may change my mind and use the other Canare.
I'm a total DIY noob right now, so bare with me on this question: Does it matter which of the two cables within the wire are used for signal or ground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back