Rate the video games you're currently playing
Oct 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #3,106 of 6,943
It's one of the best games of all time, IMO. 

Quote:
Dark Souls 10/10. Love it. Have sunken something like 150+ hours into it, bought the DLC that just came out yesterday and am working to reach the new areas since I already started new game+. I can't think of any other game that has so captured me and made me obsess so hard as DS has. Well, maybe WoW, but I quit that a long long time ago and would not go back to that if someone held a gun to my head. Once I finish NG+, DS will also be my first platinum trophy! Love this game so hard.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #3,107 of 6,943
ohh about Dishonored -

That ending..what a slap in the face. I guess I was supposed to play it the designer's way. i.e. not kill anyone. All that time for such a crappy ending.

Guess there will now be a reason to play it again. I guess I shouldn't have killed all my old "friends".

Even the boat guy hated my guts at the end! I wanted to punch him!

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #3,108 of 6,943
lol karma come back and bite you. But I don´t think the low chaos ending was that entertaining either. It lack a twist or something :)

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:53 AM Post #3,109 of 6,943
Quote:
Relax dude. I said it LOOKS like an 8. That's actually very generous. I felt like saying 7. Games I LOVE get 8s. I'm not someone who lives in the age where anything under 9 isn't worthwhile.
In any case, you don't know my taste.
I hate Fallout
I hate Oblivion
I hate Skyrim
I hate both Bioshocks
I hate Assassin's Creed
I hate Arkham Asylum
I don't care for Borderlands 1 or 2 (have the first, rented the 2nd)
I'm a VERY picky gamer, and lots of these games bore me to tears. These are games I have played.
I looked at quite a few lengthy vids of Dishonoured. I KNOW I wouldn't like it, and I'm sure if I played it, I'd probably give it a lesser score.
As for what I'm currently playing...
Medal of Honor: Warfighter. 6/10.
Played the whole campaign. Mediocre FPS 101. I hated the multiplayer too. Just... nothing fun about it.

What kind of games do you like? You've already eliminated all the good ones!

Oct 25, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #3,110 of 6,943
Lol, I like all types of games except hub based games like GTA/Western RPGs where youre in one main location or more and given generic missions. I prefer linear but constantly evolving action that builds up to the end.

The best game this gen, IMHO was Uncharted 2. That game is a masterpiece.

Oct 26, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #3,111 of 6,943
Skyrim 7/10 Too repetitive. Too much similar dungeon crawling. Lots of lore and side lore, but didn't really draw me in enough. Don't really understand the hype. Didn't really enjoy levelling. I'll probably play it again later just so I can max the graphics when I upgrade my computer. Really pretty if you add a lot more mods.

Dishonored 6/10 Couldn't get past 1 hour. Didn't enjoy the gameplay or movement. Similar problems to Portal for me where the movement feels awkward and the graphics feel dated, though I really enjoy how the UI looked like with the grunge. Maybe try again later but meh, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.

Blacklight Retribution 8/10 I want better guns and I wish spawns were faster. It's nice and smooth, but really clunky still. Not sure how I feel about the payment system for guns because my guns aren't that good. Will probably play more in the future.

Starting Borderlands 2. Didn't enjoy Borderlands, so I have no expectations going in.

Oct 26, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #3,112 of 6,943
Skyrim 7/10 Too repetitive. Too much similar dungeon crawling. Lots of lore and side lore, but didn't really draw me in enough. Don't really understand the hype. Didn't really enjoy levelling. I'll probably play it again later just so I can max the graphics when I upgrade my computer. Really pretty if you add a lot more mods.
Dishonored 6/10 Couldn't get past 1 hour. Didn't enjoy the gameplay or movement. Similar problems to Portal for me where the movement feels awkward and the graphics feel dated, though I really enjoy how the UI looked like with the grunge. Maybe try again later but meh, I don't feel like I'm missing anything.
Blacklight Retribution 8/10 I want better guns and I wish spawns were faster. It's nice and smooth, but really clunky still. Not sure how I feel about the payment system for guns because my guns aren't that good. Will probably play more in the future.
Starting Borderlands 2. Didn't enjoy Borderlands, so I have no expectations going in.

See? I'm not the only one that doesn't enjoy all critically acclaimed games. :D

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:12 AM Post #3,113 of 6,943
Quote:
See? I'm not the only one that doesn't enjoy all critically acclaimed games.
biggrin.gif

I honestly think I'm the only person I know who plays Fallout/Elder Scrolls/BioShock/Borderlands/Portal/etc. They may have high scores from the critics, but most people I know have never even heard of any of them. Competitive FPS and Madden games run the show. I guess even when it comes to gaming there are still "jock" games and "nerd" games...

Oct 26, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #3,114 of 6,943
Lol, true. The 'nerd' type gamers tend to play those games, and the less than 'nerdy' gamers wouldn't touch them let alone know of them.

I categorize myself in between the two. I was a pretty hardcore gaming nerd but now I'm a little more of the social gamer. My JRPG-geekyness will never die, though.

Oct 27, 2012 at 12:03 AM Post #3,115 of 6,943
Serious Sam 3 - 9/10. Great graphics with some of the best lighting effects I've seen in video games and nice looking textures and models. Some of the levels are huge with really large structures and tons of enemies coming at you at once, which, coupled with excellent graphics gives a sense of epicness that few games can provide. On the downside, I found the boss battles too tedious and not fun, and I don't think I would want to replay the whole game again as some of the earlier levels are not as great as the later ones and the gameplay is a bit too repetitive. Overall, this game is truly wonderful though and I much prefer it to single player campaigns in most if not all modern military shooters, which are usually far less challenging, far more simplistic in level design and just don't provide the fun that Serious Sam 3 does IMO.

Alan Wake - 7/10. The gameplay is fun in this game, but I found the story quite silly and I think Alan talks to himself too much. The game is also not very scary at all IMO and while environments look pretty, character animations could use some work. Overall, this is a fun game to play, but not perfect by any means and the story sucks IMO.

Doom 3 BFG Edition - 8/10. The graphics are surprisingly good for such an old game I have to say, especially the lighting effects and really add to the atmosphere and immersion. Sound is fantastic too. The game is quite scary I find. Gameplay is dynamic and fun, and provides good challenge, especially in the later levels. This game truly feels like a classic and I think that its story, level design, sound and the overall execution are truly masterful. There is one serious downside though and that is that the game is too long IMO and things start getting repetitive after a while.

Preliminary impressions on games I am just starting:

Far Cry 2 - Seems like a pretty nice game with really good graphics, decent character animation and OK storyline. It seems like the gameplay might get boring after hours of roaming through the huge game environment.

Dead Space - Damn, it's scary, although third person view does help in making it tolerable. I don't think I would want to play this in first person view. lol Graphics are sold with good lighting and character animations and the storyline seems really nice as well. However, I find that textures could use some work as they are not nearly as detailed as I would've liked and turning on AA in the game menu really blurs the image and makes the game look ugly,

Quake 4 - I had some annoying issues with input lag and low fps with high AA setting in this game, but after tweaking the settings, it works just fine now and the graphics are similar to Doom 3 (very good, even today) and gameplay seems fun. I like character animations too, which look nicer than those in Doom 3.

Max Payne 3 - Wow. This game looks and starts out very impressively. Graphics are truly top notch, story seems great and gameplay is lots of fun. Love it so far.

Edit: Oh yes, forgot to mention - I play on the PC guys, so these are all PC versions.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #3,116 of 6,943
Quote:
Lol, true. The 'nerd' type gamers tend to play those games, and the less than 'nerdy' gamers wouldn't touch them let alone know of them.
I categorize myself in between the two. I was a pretty hardcore gaming nerd but now I'm a little more of the social gamer. My JRPG-geekyness will never die, though.

JRPG's kind of lost their charm with me after Final Fantasy X.

What would immediately make me throw my wallet at them is Final Fantasy Tactics II, which was mistakenly teased earlier this year and turned out to be the very disappointing web-browser game Crystal Conquest.

But you know, Square-Enix would much rather make all the sequels and remakes that we don't actually want to play.

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #3,117 of 6,943
I agree with you on that last sentence. Lol.

I still very much love JRPGs, HOWEVER, they have definitely lost their sheen due to mediocre ones being put out compared to last gen and the gen before.

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #3,120 of 6,943
Wow IGN gave MoH: Warfighter a 4. I don't necessarily agree with them much, but that game really was meh... what a waste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back