Rate the video games you're currently playing
Jun 7, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #3,541 of 6,937
I really thought the twists and turns in Infinite were quite amazing. The story comes first along with the dialogue. If you blindly go through the game ignoring the story (which is brilliant, if you understand it) and just mow through enemies, then you will be disappointed. The BioShock series have been known for their deep thinking story-lines that usually are open for discussion afterwards. You have to move slow, talk to everyone, pick up every Voxophone to understand why the game got it's praises.

Action and gunplay come second in this game, story and dialogue are the primary focus.

Not trying to sound negative, but if you felt like an errand boy then you didn't understand why you were doing those things. Perhaps this is why you like BioShock 2 better than 1 also, because BioShock 2 was not as much story focused. At least the story was not nearly as good or clever IMO.

My problem with this one is that it feels rather dumbed down and much easier. There's really no incentive so far to upgrade my character.

And did you bother to try the harder difficulty setting? It's almost impossible not to die in a gunfight. And the upgrades are no different than in previous games. Just gun upgrades and more tonics. And speaking on that, there are more guns and better guns then the last 2 games. Story first. Gunplay second. Just as in all the BioShock games you have to like the story to want to continue.

Jun 7, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #3,542 of 6,937
Quote:
Bioshock Infinite - 6/10

I'm one of those rare people I guess that doesn't seem to like this. I tried hard, but it's just a painful and tedious bore for me. I feel like i'm just an errand boy the whole time. First go here, then there, then here. It usually alternates between action scenes and then a whole lot of nothing (along with overacting and dramatic non-sense). It seems like everything in the game was designed to bombard my senses and annoy me. The shooting parts feels like just button smashing with no skill required. In Dishonored, Bioshock 2 and Uncharted 2 there was sometimes at least strategy involved.

There was only one part so far that made me stop and stare at the amazing scenery. It was on the boardwalk earlier in the game. It almost looked like a painting. Too bad all this artsy non-sense wore out it's welcome and it just got annoying. The constant voiceovers also got old fast. It's also possibly the most pretentious games ever made.

I'm a huge fan of Bioshock 2. I know that game isn't loved by many, but it's a favorite. I even prefer it to part 1.

My problem with this one is that it feels rather dumbed down and much easier. There's really no incentive so far to upgrade my character.

The only games that disappointed me this much were Final Fantasy XI and Fable III.

Dishonored 2 I beat twice just through rentals and is much better and more original and creative. Ended up buying it. Bioshock Infinite doesn't feel like anything new.

I guess I will try Tombraider and Far Cry 3 next.

#1 reason I don't like this is that it's just not any fun for me to play. Can't get into the story to begin with and it's constantly annoying me.

You are not alone.

Quote:
I really thought the twists and turns in Infinite were quite amazing. The story comes first along with the dialogue. If you blindly go through the game ignoring the story (which is brilliant, if you understand it) and just mow through enemies, then you will be disappointed. The BioShock series have been known for their deep thinking story-lines that usually are open for discussion afterwards. You have to move slow, talk to everyone, pick up every Voxophone to understand why the game got it's praises.

Action and gunplay come second in this game, story and dialogue are the primary focus.

Not trying to sound negative, but if you felt like an errand boy then you didn't understand why you were doing those things. Perhaps this is why you like BioShock 2 better than 1 also, because BioShock 2 was not as much story focused. At least the story was not nearly as good or clever IMO.

And did you bother to try the harder difficulty setting? It's almost impossible not to die in a gunfight. And the upgrades are no different than in previous games. Just gun upgrades and more tonics. And speaking on that, there are more guns and better guns then the last 2 games. Story first. Gunplay second. Just as in all the BioShock games you have to like the story to want to continue.

its just a false depth manufacturing machine with some 2deep4u "quantum physics" with hilariously pretentious writing. The game play was fun how ever easy it was but the story was SOOO far up its own butt that it could see its tonsils. Also they repeatedly give you reasons why the game didn't even need to take place, break their won story, and seem to write them self's into a corner and go "Meh, quantum physics; or something. You're just not smart enough to understand....or what ever"

Its deep if you're in middle school I suppose, The characters weren't nearly as interesting as anyone in Bioshock one or two. You are just kind of walking through a world and don't really need to be; the main villain was about as threatening and organized as a stack of papers that needed sorting, and his over all end scheme  existed only for the soul propose to make a the game. We understand the story; its just not that good. none of the Shock games have been this pretentious; picking up all the voxophones wont really add much to the story other than "oh, that's why vigor's exist....when they have no reason to." or "hmm that's why girls just wanna have fun is playing". This is only a fraction of what I thought was wrong with the game; I liked it at about a 6/10 mainly for the game play but the story was just way way to pretentious for my liking; Especially after playing Ni No Kuni which had a great story with little to no pretentiousness.

Jun 7, 2013 at 3:07 PM Post #3,543 of 6,937
Quote:
Bioshock Infinite - 6/10

I'm one of those rare people I guess that doesn't seem to like this. I tried hard, but it's just a painful and tedious bore for me. I feel like i'm just an errand boy the whole time. First go here, then there, then here. It usually alternates between action scenes and then a whole lot of nothing (along with overacting and dramatic non-sense). It seems like everything in the game was designed to bombard my senses and annoy me. The shooting parts feels like just button smashing with no skill required. In Dishonored, Bioshock 2 and Uncharted 2 there was sometimes at least strategy involved.

There was only one part so far that made me stop and stare at the amazing scenery. It was on the boardwalk earlier in the game. It almost looked like a painting. Too bad all this artsy non-sense wore out it's welcome and it just got annoying. The constant voiceovers also got old fast. It's also possibly the most pretentious games ever made.

I'm a huge fan of Bioshock 2. I know that game isn't loved by many, but it's a favorite. I even prefer it to part 1.

The only games that disappointed me this much were Final Fantasy XI and Fable III.

Dishonored 2 I beat twice just through rentals and is much better and more original and creative. Ended up buying it. Bioshock Infinite doesn't feel like anything new.

I guess I will try Tombraider and Far Cry 3 next.

#1 reason I don't like this is that it's just not any fun for me to play. Can't get into the story to begin with and it's constantly annoying me.

I'll go as far as saying it's one of the most pretentious pieces of entertainment of all time.

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #3,544 of 6,937
Could you elaborate on what makes it pretentious?

Sorry if you already did, I just didn't want to read through several walls of text 

Jun 7, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #3,545 of 6,937
Farcry 3 won't hold you over much more than Bioshock Infinite. The story is OK, and it has some fun interactive cut scenes. Also has some entertaining combat, but forces you to play stealthy in order to maximize your points. I'm over stealth gameplay: It's tired and over used in in past few years. Alternatives are sooooo welcome.

Problem is that the game becomes ultra repetitive.
It'll keep you entertained for half the ride, then you'll just wish it would end already so you can get off.

Jun 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #3,546 of 6,937
Quote:

Sorry if you already did, I just didn't want to read through several walls of text 

One of the biggest things that I found to be pretentious about it is it's writing. It kind of presents every single line to be this grand gem of writing, and set pieces are treated just the same. On top of that, the overall story uses it's faux science too heavy-handedly, purposely trying to make ideas more complex than they really are. Really, it seems like the whole game was made for pseudo-intellectual college kids.

I always make this comparison since the stories are so similar, but if you want to see the 'alternate dimensions' story device done much better, and like older RPGs, check out Chrono Cross. The story is presented much more straightforward, plus, despite being translated from Japanese, the writing is light years better.

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #3,547 of 6,937
Quote:
Farcry 3 won't hold you over much more than Bioshock Infinite. The story is OK, and it has some fun interactive cut scenes. Also has some entertaining combat, but forces you to play stealthy in order to maximize your points. I'm over stealth gameplay: It's tired and over used in in past few years. Alternatives are sooooo welcome.

Problem is that the game becomes ultra repetitive.
It'll keep you entertained for half the ride, then you'll just wish it would end already so you can get off.

I usually HATE stealth based games, but loved Dishonored. Actually on my first playthrough I was dumb and killed nearly everyone. Died a ton of times. Well duh. On the 2nd playthrough I finished without killing anyone. Couldn't go undetected though.

I started Far Cry 3. I think i'm rushing though things and don't know what i'm doing. I only have 1 gun and died about a dozen times. Everyone gangs up on me and calls for backup. Oh well. My only accomplishment was getting a whole 1 radio tower found
biggrin.gif
. I always run out of bullets too. In one area I think I died within 10 seconds. Obviously need to build up my character a little. Maybe it's like Fallout 3 where you're fairly weak at first and then it gets easier and easier.

Another game that did stealth well was Uncharted 2. I must have played through that about 6 times.

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #3,548 of 6,937
Quote:

I usually HATE stealth based games, but loved Dishonored. Actually on my first playthrough I was dumb and killed nearly everyone. Died a ton of times. Well duh. On the 2nd playthrough I finished without killing anyone. Couldn't go undetected though.

I started Far Cry 3. I think i'm rushing though things and don't know what i'm doing. I only have 1 gun and died about a dozen times. Everyone gangs up on me and calls for backup. Oh well. My only accomplishment was getting a whole 1 radio tower found
biggrin.gif
. I always run out of bullets too. In one area I think I died within 10 seconds. Obviously need to build up my character a little. Maybe it's like Fallout 3 where you're fairly weak at first and then it gets easier and easier.

Another game that did stealth well was Uncharted 2. I must have played through that about 6 times.

Yep yep. I almost quit playing it because I had problems with the difficulty and limited arsenal/ammo. Really picks up after you get your first ammo upgrades.

Jun 8, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #3,549 of 6,937
Quote:

It forces its self upon you using a fifth grade understanding of physics and repeatedly re-explains its self on these points. The  Luteces didn't even need to be in the game. they show up to say "hey you know the things we told you? well you clearly don't understand them so were going to explain them to you again in an even MORE plebeian manor. "  No, we get it. everything if predetermined (even if the hero would have a chance of being completely written out at the drop of a hat) I don't want to spoil the game...but the story did love the smell of its own excrement. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it just stopped doing the "HEY YOU DON'T GET IT DO YOU? WE DON'T THINK YOU GET IT SO HERE IT IS BUT AT A KINDERGARTEN LEVEL!" also Booker has to be the dumbest man alive. Seriously the Luteces could have been survived through the voxophones they dropped and that's all you would ever need to know about who they are and why they were in the universe; not some hilariously dressed up mining operation to see if a paper thin plot could be turned into a frac. If they had added an interesting character or two it would be better; I mean who in that would made you want to learn more about them? Everyone shouts a spark note's version of their life story every time you bump into them.

TL;DR version.
The writing is put on a pedestal despite being possibly the worst writing in the shock series, nothing interesting happens, and the over explanation of very simple  things was a total death blow for me.

decdided to give 'The Witcher two; Electric Boogaloo' a try.
Worst combat ever. Who ever thinks MMO combat would work well as a hack and slash is a mad man. Other than that not so bad so far....just really terribel combat system.

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #3,552 of 6,937
So, I think I'm going to buy a PS3 so I can play The Last of Us, Ni No Kuni, Journey and Heavy Rain. Anything that I should be aware of before going for it? Also looking to buy Virtue's Last Reward for the 3DS but I'm not sure what I want first XD

Jun 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #3,553 of 6,937
Quote:
So, I think I'm going to buy a PS3 so I can play The Last of Us, Ni No Kuni, Journey and Heavy Rain. Anything that I should be aware of before going for it? Also looking to buy Virtue's Last Reward for the 3DS but I'm not sure what I want first XD

Nothing special aside from the fact that it's price can get lower when the ps4 is released and also I bet a whole bunch of people will be selling their perfectly working ps3s then. Still there are some awesome exclusives to get aside from the ones you mentioned - like Demon's Souls, Uncharted, Resistance, Infamous and many more.

Jun 8, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #3,554 of 6,937
Quote:
Nothing special aside from the fact that it's price can get lower when the ps4 is released and also I bet a whole bunch of people will be selling their perfectly working ps3s then. Still there are some awesome exclusives to get aside from the ones you mentioned - like Demon's Souls, Uncharted, Resistance, Infamous and many more.

Folklore is an under appreciated game on the PS3 as well. Killzone two is also a great game; much better than Killzone three.

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #3,555 of 6,937
Quote:
Folklore is an under appreciated game on the PS3 as well. Killzone two is also a great game; much better than Killzone three.

I never played Folklore, so I guess I might check it out. Yeah, Killzone 2 was great in comparison to 3 just like Uncharted 2 was better than the third installment. But overall ps3 has some great exclusives worth checking out - of course, I didn't list all of them but games in my previous post but for me there are just so many great games that are a must to play if you own a ps3. Here are some more - that I skipped: MGS4, Valkyria Chronicles, Ratchet & Clank etc 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back