Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Aug 31, 2014 at 1:37 AM Post #16,052 of 24,683
^^^"I, Frankenstein" I think Yvonne Strahovski is in that one... for the sake of her awesomeness and Chuck, without ever seeing the movie or planning on it... I give it a 8.4 
biggrin.gif
. Id be a great teacher.

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #16,053 of 24,683
  ^^^"I, Frankenstein" I think Yvonne Strahovski is in that one... for the sake of her awesomeness and Chuck, without ever seeing the movie or planning on it... I give it a 8.4 
biggrin.gif
. Id be a great teacher.

Yeah Yvonne Strahovski was the eye-candy of the movie, but seriously, apart from Yvonne and Miranda Otto I guess, every single one of the actor of the movie performs very weakly, including Bill Nighy and Aaron Eckhart.

Or perhaps, maybe my expectation was too high as the last Frankenstein movie I watched was Mary Shelley's Frankenstein with Robert DeNiro & Kenneth Branagh. 

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:37 AM Post #16,054 of 24,683
I saw something...

ooh yea

Gurdians of the Galaxy, 
8.9/10

Pretty good acutally, kinda corny. Expected in some parts but you know what. I enjoyed it, a lot :3 

Aug 31, 2014 at 2:52 AM Post #16,055 of 24,683
  I, Frankenstein (2014): 1/10

Save yourself one and a half hour of your life and don't watch this. Except, if you want to know how a movie with a script written by a high school student produced with hollywood budget, this is a movie for you. I mean, seriously, I've watched a plethora of low-budget movies that are much better written than this one.

....................and yet, it still manages to best Sin City II

Aug 31, 2014 at 3:18 AM Post #16,056 of 24,683
[COLOR=F600F6]Scott Pilgrim[/COLOR] [COLOR=0B0BFF]vs.[/COLOR] [COLOR=006D00]the World[/COLOR] - 10/10
[rule]
This movie did everything for me, I loved the soundtrack and the songs were super addicting, I just finished watching it again and it was amazing. Everything in this movie is done right, with little details coming into play making the movie feel authentic and the characters impossible to hate. I actually bought the soundtrack in vinyl and a vinyl player itself - the Uturn Orbit, just because this soundtrack pushed me over the ledge to get one. I crack up watching this movie everytime and have yet to get tired of it. Also it gave me a huge slight man crush on Michael Cera, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead, both of who I've watched movies I've really enjoyed in like Hardcandy and Juno. I don't feel like a single character felt out of place in the movie and it all seemed just perfect. I've been inviting friends over for the sole reason to show them this movie and they all really enjoy it. Sorry this review was short and out of place and definitely didn't do the film justice but it is 02:18 and I am *very* tired.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #16,057 of 24,683
"2 Guns" [6.4/10] : I had this film on my DVR for a couple of weeks. It was an OK movie to watch on a Saturday night when nothing interesting was on TV. It struck me as the standard buddy movie with some convoluted plot twists to make it feel different. It didn't really work for me. The actors were on auto-pilot. A forgettable movie all the way around...

Sep 2, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #16,058 of 24,683
Pompeii 7/10
If you love drama and history it will suit you. Cool 3D effects and good acting..but i was expecting more. 

Sep 3, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #16,059 of 24,683
  I knew this film was getting good reviews, but it was even better than I expected. Loved it. 

"The Lunchbox" - 9.4/10

I wish I watched this film without dubbing - a monotonous male voice which suppressed background sounds. That is why the film felt more boring than it was. I liked it but I didn't love it. India needs such directors like Iranian Asghar Farhadi. The Lunchbox is a movie in similar direction. 

If you are interested to watch something from India akin to The Lunchbox I would recommend Udaan, English Vinglish.

Sep 5, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #16,061 of 24,683
District 9: 10/10. Perfect.

This is one absolutely impeccable movie. One of those movie with some element of unpredictability, not solely because of plot twists, but also because of the performance of the actors. I can't believe I didn't see it when it first came out, what a masterpiece did I miss...

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:11 PM Post #16,062 of 24,683
Eyes Wide Shut: 9/10 I saw it in the theater and have since felt it was an underrated film.

One of the few Kubrick films I haven't seen.  It was really good and I feel weird saying that.

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #16,064 of 24,683
Calvary (2014): 8/10

Its reconfiguration of the Christ story is too obvious, most of its characters are caricatures, and the script lacks any semblance of subtlety--but it works. It works in part because of Brendan Gleeson's remarkable performance. Gleeson has one of the best faces in the world--and his control over it is extraordinary. The director (John McDonagh, brother of Martin McDonagh, whose film In Bruges Gleeson also graced with a towering performance) was lucky to have Gleeson, and smart to almost always show him in all-black, so that we are drawn to his face, hovering above the void. It also works in part because it dances that fine, dangerous line between tragedy and comedy, and dances it not with grace, but with drunken swagger. But mostly it works because of its great cumulative effect. This film is essentially a parade of one ridiculous scene after another, but the more it piles on the more the earlier scenes work, and the bigger picture is revealed to be much bigger than we might have originally thought. It also possesses a forceful way of making old problems feel new again. And no, I'm not just talking about the Church's awful history of abuse and rape, though certainly that rears its head here, and does so with, forgive me, a vengeance. It was in its exploration of sin and forgiveness that it struck the strongest chord with me--particularly in one scene, where a serial murderer expresses his desire to meet in heaven with the women he murdered on earth, and to love them there as he couldn't love them here. This will happen, you see, because he's penitent, and he believes that he can inspire God's forgiveness. God created him--God must understand him, mustn't he? I found this man's notion of heaven to be stomach churning--but Gleeson's priest had to seriously consider it, and has to (seemingly daily) consider this sharp divide between human morality and divine morality that lead so many to reinforced faith, and so many away from it. All of the film's questioning and blunt-force trauma comes to a head when he's asked a simple question--whether or not he cried for the victims of Church rape and abuse, when such knowledge became widespread. Well. Did you?

Sep 7, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #16,065 of 24,683
  Calvary (2014): 8/10

Its reconfiguration of the Christ story is too obvious, most of its characters are caricatures, and the script lacks any semblance of subtlety--but it works. It works in part because of Brendan Gleeson's remarkable performance. Gleeson has one of the best faces in the world--and his control over it is extraordinary. The director (John McDonagh, brother of Martin McDonagh, whose film In Bruges Gleeson also graced with a towering performance) was lucky to have Gleeson, and smart to almost always show him in all-black, so that we are drawn to his face, hovering above the void. It also works in part because it dances that fine, dangerous line between tragedy and comedy, and dances it not with grace, but with drunken swagger. But mostly it works because of its great cumulative effect. This film is essentially a parade of one ridiculous scene after another, but the more it piles on the more the earlier scenes work, and the bigger picture is revealed to be much bigger than we might have originally thought. It also possesses a forceful way of making old problems feel new again. And no, I'm not just talking about the Church's awful history of abuse and rape, though certainly that rears its head here, and does so with, forgive me, a vengeance. It was in its exploration of sin and forgiveness that it struck the strongest chord with me--particularly in one scene, where a serial murderer expresses his desire to meet in heaven with the women he murdered on earth, and to love them there as he couldn't love them here. This will happen, you see, because he's penitent, and he believes that he can inspire God's forgiveness. God created him--God must understand him, mustn't he? I found this man's notion of heaven to be stomach churning--but Gleeson's priest had to seriously consider it, and has to (seemingly daily) consider this sharp divide between human morality and divine morality that lead so many to reinforced faith, and so many away from it. All of the film's questioning and blunt-force trauma comes to a head when he's asked a simple question--whether or not he cried for the victims of Church rape and abuse, when such knowledge became widespread. Well. Did you?

Curiously enough, i just watched that last night. I could not agree more with your review. Brilliant work all round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back