Rate The Last Movie You Watched
Jun 30, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #1,577 of 24,671
Wall-E : 5 stars out of 5.

Possibly one of the best Pixar films released to date. The first half of the movie contains ZERO dialogue, yet they still managed to convey emotion and deliver character development considerably more powerful than 95% of the drivel that has come out of Hollywood in the last 10 years. The points they are trying to make with this movie are timely - save the planet, the obesity epidemic and the disconnection between human beings and emotions brought on by technology, yet it was done quite tastefully, and never became too "preachy". I think this movie is profoundly prophetic, and people will view it 25 years from now and be struck with awe as to how accurately it depicted the future (not much unlike how the original Star Trek series nailed the future).

Possible spoliers ahead:

The only (very minor) nit pick I had was how they integrated video footage from the past, and decided to use "real" human beings and images instead of animated ones. For some reason, this really pulled me out of the "immersion factor". But Lasseter and company are geniuses, and NOTHING that Pixar does is a mistake, and I am sure they had a really good reason for integrating images and video of "real" human beings into the film. Also, there was a tiny little snippit of iPod product placement, but I thought it was understated, and kind of cute how it was handled - not to mention that most of the robots in the movie were "iPod white". But considering that (I'm pretty sure) Mr. Jobs owns a large chunk of Pixar, I suppose it could have been a LOT worse...

Highly recommended for adults and children of all ages. If you don't enjoy this movie, you need to check your pulse to make sure that you are indeed still alive. If all you got out of this movie was "WALLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE and EVEEEEEEEEEEEEE", then either you weren't paying attention, or I'm not completely convinced that we saw the same movie - perhaps "The Love Guru" would be more your cup of tea.

In summary, go see it. This movie is a timeless classic, and a parable that will be enjoyed by millions of people for several decades to come.

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:44 AM Post #1,578 of 24,671
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mongol ~ 9/10This is an epic supposedly based upon the early to mid life of Gengis Khan.

I have heard some good things about this movie; going to have to check it out.

--

I too saw WALL-E today (8/10) today. I watched a few 70's Sci-Fi films recently, and it really helped appreciate the references. For the complete experience, check out Soylent Green and Silent Running before hand, along with the usual classics.

Lars and the Real Girl (6/10) was an interesting whimsical diversion not for cynical jaded vieweres. Those who surrender to the premise will enjoy it.

As a bit of a Henry VIII and Elizabeth I buff, the first season of The Tudors (6/10), was campy little candy bar. It did play pretty loose with history so detailed orientated viewers be warned. <spoiler> For example, Cardinal Wolsey did not commit suicide in the Tower of London, according to the texts I have read - a fairly large dramatic liscense taken by the series.</spoiler> I heard the current second season hasn't been as juicy as the first, which is a bit surprising since fall of Anne Boleyn is such fertile territory.

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #1,580 of 24,671
Disturbia: 8 out of 10. It was actually way better than what I was expecting. Sure, it was an Alfred Hitchcock movie plot recycled a couple times over, but it was still a fresh kind of remake, and the acting was pretty decent and yet realistic. I mean, if that guy got that close to me, I'd be petrified too.
wink.gif

Jun 30, 2008 at 8:59 AM Post #1,581 of 24,671
You Don't Mess with the Zohan 8/10
Brilliant movie
biggrin.gif

Funny as hell :p Adam Sandler kicks ass
smily_headphones1.gif

Hummus rocks :]

Jun 30, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #1,584 of 24,671
wall-e

9/10

off the hook animation, laugh out loud moments, clever twist on a stale formula... and i did like the live action mixed with the animation!

Fred Willard as ruler of the world... that's freakin' BRILLIANT!

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #1,585 of 24,671
WALL-E

9.5/10

What can I say, this movie is a masterpiece, even better than (dare I say?) Ratatouille. People of all ages should definitely see this.

Jun 30, 2008 at 2:59 PM Post #1,587 of 24,671
Reservation Road - 7/10

Joaquin Pheonix, Jennifer Connelly & Mark Ruffalo star about a family that loses their young son to a hit and run driver, and the father's endless pursuit to find the guilty party. Solid performances all around.

Trade - 6.5/10

Girls get kidnapped in Mexico and auctioned off into sex slavery. One young girl's brother and a insurance detective (Kevin Kline) pursue the kidnappers. Awkward and unfunny humor in spots keep the score down a bit (very infrequent, but still terribly out of place), but the movie is fairly effective despite it.

Jun 30, 2008 at 3:05 PM Post #1,588 of 24,671
Movies watched....

At Sams Town in Vegas on boulder Highway
Indiana Jones
It was good, and Shea had some good comic relief, but that ending was garbage.

At Boulder Station in Vegas on Boulder Highway
Sex and the City
Awesome movie. Even better soundtrack. I liked it alot.

Both of those theaters have RIDICULOUS seating. Velour/velvet seats, reclineable, adjustable armrests, roomy, amazing sound, great picture quality....

Jul 2, 2008 at 8:20 PM Post #1,590 of 24,671
Forgetting Sarah Marshall: 8/10. Solid comedy with some surprise nudity. A good batch of hilarious jokes and the always attractive Kristen Bell and Mila Kunis as the female leads. Recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back