Ranking Top IEM's
Mar 16, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #31 of 85
My favourite non-custom monitor is still Triple.Fi. But not on a portable rig. The better the source and the amplifier, the more they will impress. And on a full size desktop rig they do impress. The problem is I can't bare them in my ears for long.
Westone 3 is simply not my cup of tea (although far comfier than UE) and the same can be said about the Shure 530. Westone 1 and 2 are not, in my opinion, in the same league with the triple driver armatures.

Mar 16, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #32 of 85
Here's how I would rank the IEMs that I heard so far in terms of all-around SQ:

1) Westone 3 or Shure SE530. I am still undecided at the moment which one is better for sound quality. The Shures are more true to the original recordings overall I think, but Westone 3 is also such a fun IEM to listen to and has better treble and bass extension than the Shures.

2) Sleek Audio SA6 - a fantastic IEM overall. Not quite up there with SE530/W3 in terms of dynamic range and separation, but detail and accuracy are excellent. I especially love how beautiful the midrange is on these and the clarity is the best I've heard in any headphone to date.

and:

Jays Q-jays - heard them briefly. Loved the clear and very detailed sound. Excellent balance across the spectrum, with some slight emphasis on treble. Good dynamics and separation (better than on SA6) Good imaging, but soundstage is very limited in size (not a big flaw for me)

3) Sennheiser IE8 - a bit of a love and hate relationship with this one for me. I loved the full, spacious sound and lush details, as well as good overall accuracy and speed of this IEM. However, I thought that the sound is a bit unbalanced for it to be truly enjoyable - the bass can be overpowering at times and the mids and highs are just a tad too laid back IMO.

4) UE Triple.fi - great bass, great treble. Somewhat unnatural sounding and unbalanced though - has some crossover overlapping issues in the upper bass/low mids area (BIG flaw to my ears!) Blurry midrange (another serious flaw, but this is more of a matter of personal taste). The overall presentation is a tad too dry/sterile for my tastes.

Tied with:

Etymotic ER6 - Yeah, believe it or not, but I only really like them when amped though. In terms of overall balance, it blows away UE Triple.fi IMO and has detail and clarity that's about on par with the very best universals. Soundstage is bigger than on Q-jays and imaging is also very good. Not quite as sophisticated sounding as the very best - can sound a little thin at times and lacks dynamic range compared to the best. A seriously good IEM for the money in my book though.

Other possible tiers for 4th place are Shure SE310, Senn IE7, and Shure E4 and Westone UM2

Ok, I've heard a few others, but I do not own them, so can't really compare them. I just know that they are not as good sounding to my ears as the above mentioned ones. But, here, I'll try to rank them, based on memory:

5) Senn IE6
6) UE Super.fi 3, Super.fi 5 Pro, Head-Direct RE1
7) Senn CX400/500, Head-Direct RE2
8) Westone UM1 and Shure E3
9) Shure E2 and Senn CX300
10) JVC Marshmallow

And of course remember that these ratings are HIGHLY subjective.
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 1:07 AM Post #33 of 85
IME, and IMO:

X10-X5-Sleeks (depending on the mood)

After those three: whatever you want to put here, I do not care a little bit, as I have been disapointed a couple of times with very expensive ones, that do not do what I'm looking for better neither...

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:26 AM Post #34 of 85
I gotta go with my ety e4p's. The simple fact that etymotic is able to sqeeze that much music out of one damn armature simply stuns me. No comparison imho.

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #35 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I gotta go with my ety e4p's. The simple fact that etymotic is able to sqeeze that much music out of one damn armature simply stuns me. No comparison imho.

Just as we can decode all these different sound frequencies from damn eardrum...

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #36 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by VoLTaG3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just as we can decode all these different sound frequencies from damn eardrum...

I'm sorry, are you attempting to be sarcastic? I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #37 of 85
Quote:

I'm sorry, are you attempting to be sarcastic? I don't quite understand what you're getting at.

Our eadrums are just about the same as 1 diaphragm from a driver.

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:46 AM Post #38 of 85
Quote:

Our eadrums are just about the same as 1 diaphragm from a driver.

I think most people casually reading my comment would understand what I was trying to say, jackass.

Are all your posts that useless, or is it just a common trait for New Yorkers to not have anything useful to bring the table?

Mar 17, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #39 of 85
Quote:

I think most people casually reading my comment would understand what I was trying to say, jackass.

Are all your posts that useless, or is it just a common trait for New Yorkers to not have anything useful to bring the table?

Ok dude calm down. No need to get out of your place. Lemme simplify it for you since I think you may need it explained a bit more easier so you can comprehend it. You stated you were amazed at how much sound can be squeezed out of the ER4 from 1 driver. I in return said just like it is amazing how our eardrum can decode so much sound. Do I need to dumb it down for you anymore???
jecklinsmile.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:01 AM Post #40 of 85
Quote:

Ok dude calm down. No need to get out of you place. Lemme simplify it for you since I think you may need it explained a bit more easier so you can comprehend it. You stated you were amazed at how much sound can be squeezed out of the ER4 from 1 driver. I in return said just like it is amazing how our eardrum can decode so much sound. Do I need to dumb it down for you anymore???
jecklinsmile.gif

i know what you were trying to say idiot, I'm just trying to tell you how pitifully stupid it is to try to compare a piece of machinery to a human membrane. No need to dumb it down. Instead, try making your next comment less dumb.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #41 of 85
Quote:

i know what you were trying to say idiot, I'm just trying to tell you how pitifully stupid it is to try to compare a piece of machinery to a human membrane. No need to dumb it down. Instead, try making your next comment less dumb.

I guess someone's panties are in bunch??
biggrin.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #42 of 85
Quote:

I guess someone's panties are in bunch??
biggrin.gif

not as much as your mom's were when she left my house last night.

Mar 17, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #43 of 85
Quote:

not as much as your mom's were when she left my house last night.

Ok, "your mom" joke are a bit 6th gradish....Lets get more mature here please. I'm leaving this pointless argument as it has no meaning to it...Goodbye young one..
wink_face.gif

Mar 17, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #45 of 85
Out of your list, I've owned and can comment on:

1. Sennheiser IE8 (excellent)

2. SE530 (very very good)

3. Etymotic ER•4 (pants)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back