Rank the IEM's you've heard
Apr 10, 2024 at 2:38 PM Post #5,071 of 5,134
Due to the massive sale on the AKG N5005 I thought I would update my rankings. To reiterate, I am a bit of a basshead an I need bass to enjoy my music, but I also need to full plate of music.

1. Kiwi Ears Quintet - Nice neutralish sound signature with a good amount of bass, I was pleasantly surprised with the bass
2. AKG N5005 - Smooth sound all around, nice relaxing IEM with decent bass
3. Tangzu FUDU - Nice warm presentation, but not overly thick, nice bass thump and rumble and a smooth yet still detailed treble
4. Moondrop May (without DSP) - Balanced sound profile with decent bass, an excellent mid range and good treble extension
5. 7hz Sonus - Fun yet refined V tuned IEM with good bass and treble.
6. TFZ No.3 - Meaty bass with smooth rolled off treble.
7. KZ Castor Bass - Bought cheap and it impressed, good bass and smooth up top.
Kiwi Ears Quintet and TFZ No.3 are both are on the mark and both can be had without going in debt. Each have been consistently highly rated by reviewers since their debts. I would also add the Ikea OH10 to this too.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #5,072 of 5,134
This is by far my favorite thread. I've spent days reading and enjoying everyone's deep knowledge and have learnt a lot about IEMs (didn't know much before; probably not much yet). Yet, I confess I remain confused: I'm planning on investing in a good pair of IEMs, but when looking at what to buy it looks like technological changes are going faster than I can assimilate (apparently much faster than for full-size headphones). Then, be confronted with whether to buy an older TOTL IEM in the second-hand market or a new, more recently released but lower-tier IEM.

By reading this thread, I've learnt the obvious, i.e. that before buying I should first test the IEMs by myself (not always easy though) and that my personal preferences are not comparable to anyone else's, including profesional or amateur reviewers.

However, please let me put forward a straight question with four options: (1) new Thieaudio Monarch MK3 (USD 999); (2) second-hand Empire Ears Odin (USD 3,600); (ii) second-hand Aroma Jewell (USD 4,100); and (iv) second-hand Traillli (USD 5,000). If you had the money (I'm not saying I have it), where would you put it?

Thank you very much in advance for your advice (even if your reply obviously comes with IMO, YMMV, etc.)!!!

For me the sweet spot is around $1k - $1500. Be careful of spending $$$ and finding they don't fit very well. If you're happy with your U18's stick with them as spending more won't necessarily mean a big up grade, if at all.

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:48 PM Post #5,073 of 5,134
For me the sweet spot is around $1k - $1500. Be careful of spending $$$ and finding they don't fit very well. If you're happy with your U18's stick with them as spending more won't necessarily mean a big up grade, if at all.

I agree that I may face disappointment, but I'd really want to test something new. From the four options I've put on the table, you would go for the one within your suggested budget (Monarch mk3)?

Apr 10, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #5,074 of 5,134
This is by far my favorite thread. I've spent days reading and enjoying everyone's deep knowledge and have learnt a lot about IEMs (didn't know much before; probably not much yet). Yet, I confess I remain confused: I'm planning on investing in a good pair of IEMs, but when looking at what to buy it looks like technological changes are going faster than I can assimilate (apparently much faster than for full-size headphones). Then, be confronted with whether to buy an older TOTL IEM in the second-hand market or a new, more recently released but lower-tier IEM.

By reading this thread, I've learnt the obvious, i.e. that before buying I should first test the IEMs by myself (not always easy though) and that my personal preferences are not comparable to anyone else's, including profesional or amateur reviewers.

However, please let me put forward a straight question with four options: (1) new Thieaudio Monarch MK3 (USD 999); (2) second-hand Empire Ears Odin (USD 3,600); (ii) second-hand Aroma Jewell (USD 4,100); and (iv) second-hand Traillli (USD 5,000). If you had the money (I'm not saying I have it), where would you put it?

Thank you very much in advance for your advice (even if your reply obviously comes with IMO, YMMV, etc.)!!!
As a former Traillii owner, I would stay away from a blind buy. They are nearly perfect but IMO would disappoint you upon first listen. They have a near perfect tuning but it is not a very "fun" tuning.

I would personally recommend Anni 23 if you're looking to go TOTL out of the gate. Not terribly easy to find on the used market though.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #5,075 of 5,134
I agree that I may face disappointment, but I'd really want to test something new. From the four options I've put on the table, you would go for the one within your suggested budget (Monarch mk3)?

They come highly recommended by many, and cost considerably less but if you choose those would you be left wondering what if you'd spent more and would then be done for a good while. Also don't forget build quality, there are many aspects to consider like customer service. Not sure I'd buy something that expensive second hand as you don't know if they've been really cared for (though I would happily buy from reputable sellers on here), and even new stuff can go wrong so make sure sending them in isn't going to be loads of hassle. I also wouldn't go for the Trialii's after buying the Mellianus as they're tuned more for 'purists', very good and accurate sounding but more clinical for me personally, plus while their ba bass is good it can't match a DD. It depends on what type of music you mainly listen to.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #5,076 of 5,134
Also the prices you mentioned for used ones are kind of high. You can get them much lower: Jewel is about $2700-$3000, Odin for $2000-$2200, Traillli is $3000. Don't overpay.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:10 PM Post #5,077 of 5,134
As a former Traillii owner, I would stay away from a blind buy. They are nearly perfect but IMO would disappoint you upon first listen. They have a near perfect tuning but it is not a very "fun" tuning.

I would personally recommend Anni 23 if you're looking to go TOTL out of the gate. Not terribly easy to find on the used market though.
Thanks a lot. Being a former owner of Traillii, I value your advice a lot! Actually, I think there have been a number of Anni 23 offers in Head Fi in the last few weeks, so not impossible to get in the used market.
They come highly recommended by many, and cost considerably less but if you choose those would you be left wondering what if you'd spent more and would then be done for a good while. Also don't forget build quality, there are many aspects to consider like customer service. Not sure I'd buy something that expensive second hand as you don't know if they've been really cared for, and even new stuff can go wrong so make sure sending them in isn't going to be loads of hassle.
Great piece of advice: I guess you mean less investment (so, less to lose), but perhaps not enough to compete for my time with the U18S...

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:11 PM Post #5,078 of 5,134
Also the prices you mentioned for used ones are kind of high. You can get them much lower: Jewel is about $2700-$3000, Odin for $2000-$2200, Traillli is $3000. Don't overpay.
Exactly. And if you pay 3k for Traillii then with some certainty you can sell it for the same 3k within a few months.

drftr

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #5,080 of 5,134
Thanks a lot. Being a former owner of Traillii, I value your advice a lot! Actually, I think there have been a number of Anni 23 offers in Head Fi in the last few weeks, so not impossible to get in the used market.

Great piece of advice: I guess you mean less investment (so, less to lose), but perhaps not enough to compete for my time with the U18S...

Generally high cost iem's will sound superior, which is noticeable especially for critical listening but diminishing returns really kicks in. My Mellianus offer superior control and separation but I don't love them as I thought I would, they're to me 'just' very good.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:15 PM Post #5,081 of 5,134
You can buy i here from reputable head fiers. And they ussualy like new condition, because we like to take care of our stuff.

Apr 10, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #5,083 of 5,134
My first ranking based on my listenings and those I have.

1- UM- Mentor: its incredible soundstage is its strong point
2 - VE Aura: emotional and beautiful mids and crazy resolution
3- VE Phoenix: crazy resolution, soft, beautiful vertical scene but doesn't have the magic of Aura or the immersion of the mentor.
4- Fir Xe6: Great immersion in music, lots of fun with it
5- Fir Rn6: very nice balance, versatile, pleasant
6- Monrach Mkii, my first big Iem that I still have. very dynamic, very nice mids, good bass when needed
7- Fiio Fh9: beautiful scene, pleasant
8- Fiio Fh7: very energetic and pleasant

Apr 10, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #5,084 of 5,134

If you can, make your way to a CanJam! I would never have bought another IEM than the KSE1200/Monarch MK2 if I hadn't heard the Radon6 or Noble Viking. The soundstage of the Viking just blew me away..though it has too much treble for many.

Apr 10, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #5,085 of 5,134
I know, and I'm always looking for good opportunities on this great website. Most of the times though, I prove to be very slow :0(
Sign up for the watercolor tours. I absolutely would never have considered or heard Anni 23 if I didn’t get the loaner set.

I just heard about the recent plethora of Anni listings. No one really knows why other than possible funding up for the upcoming Dio (which I know next to nothing about).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back