Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Aug 18, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #4,441 of 8,138
Back on track and based purely on usage at the moment  as most are equally good in their own way. The DT150s are overall favorites at the moment and probably for the rest of my life, they should last forever along with the HD25s

Beyer DT150
Musical Fidelity EB50
Sennheiser HD25
B&O Form 2
Sony PFR-V1
Beyer DT440
PortaPro
Denon AH C751

Aug 18, 2014 at 5:13 PM Post #4,442 of 8,138
At the moment, with the plethora of things I'm in the process of shipping out (or have recently shipped out if that's not considered cheating)

1. Audio Technica W5000 (I didn't like them until I bent the headband to fit my head; I don't understand why AT just outright refuses to fix this design. Now, they have actually taken my breath away multiple times, and I just got them today)
2. Oppo PM2 (With some melamine in front of the driver to take some of the treble peak)
3. ZMF x Vibro (Newest tuning, a really capable headphone. I wouldn't be surprised if people like it more than the Alpha Dog, which I wasn't the biggest fan of)
4. Hifiman HE500 (I liked it a lot more the first time I had it. It just sounded meh the second time around)
5. Audio Technica W10VTG (It's a really euphoric-sounding headphone, but after comparing it to the W5000, it just sounds really congested)
6. [Grado RS1e] (I don't own this but have it on loan right now so I'll put it here as a frame of reference I guess. It's a Grado, and I happen to kind of like Grados, but there's something about this one that doesn't sit too well with me for anything other than ska and some other music)
7. Audio Technica AD2000 (It's just weird sounding in a great way, but it's the kind of headphone your ears have to adjust to. Shipping this out tomorrow sadly)
8. Master and Dynamic MH40 (Very consumerish sound, haven't gotten to use them much actually)

I have more, but I really haven't used anything else for months.

Aug 19, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #4,444 of 8,138
time to update after some upgrade and sale :)
based on time on my head
1.HE500+DHC cable
2.LCD2.2 fazor
3.HD800+norse draug cable/ UE900+Furutech ADL cable
4.RS2i
5.AKG Q701,Beyer DT990/250Ohm
6.Vmoda M80, Denon D400
shure srh940...never use

Aug 19, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #4,445 of 8,138
  1. Sennheiser HD800
2. Beyerdynamic T1
3. MrSpeakers Alpha Dog
4. Sennheiser HD650
5. Sennheiser Momentum
6. Westone 4R
7. Monster Turbine Pro Copper
8. Audiofly AF56

What makes you like the T1 more than the AD?

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:09 AM Post #4,446 of 8,138
  What makes you like the T1 more than the AD?

http://headfonics.com/2014/08/12-flagship-headphones-compared-the-totl-guide/7/

Here's an article that is contrary to his preference. I think some people like a sound signature that is more treble tilted or detail oriented. That is something the T1 is amazing at. The author of this article even goes on to say that he thinks the Alpha Dogs soundstage is deeper. 
blink.gif
 so really it is a matter of opinion. I honestly need another flagship showdown at the next Head-fi meet I go to in San Diego this fall

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #4,448 of 8,138
  http://headfonics.com/2014/08/12-flagship-headphones-compared-the-totl-guide/7/

Here's an article that is contrary to his preference. I think some people like a sound signature that is more treble tilted or detail oriented. That is something the T1 is amazing at. The author of this article even goes on to say that he thinks the Alpha Dogs soundstage is deeper. 
blink.gif
 so really it is a matter of opinion. I honestly need another flagship showdown at the next Head-fi meet I go to in San Diego this fall

hmm, interesting article!

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #4,449 of 8,138
1 - A2000X
2 - SR-404 with 507 pads
3 - SA5000
4 - AD1000PRM

AD1000PRM have most head time though, being the most comfortable out of all of them. A2000X is easily my current second favourite headphone after SR-009.

Aug 19, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #4,451 of 8,138
Yeah, it's pretty convoluted but I still found the conclusion interesting: "if I were forced to offer an overall winner to you, there is no question that the Alpha Dog absolutely, brutally emaciated the 11 other models in this report. Disregarding price completely, it compares and even bests some of the $1000+ models out there, yet the drivers original manufacturing price was probably less than $10. No other headphone offers as much as the Alpha and it costs hundreds less than it should. Originally, I had written this report with total disregard to pricing and reviewed each model as if they were all the same price. All mentions of pricing on each headphone section were edited in during the final draft copy, I’d originally tried not to let pricing affect my judgment. Even then, the Alpha Dog still bested most of the other headphones in many ways…the fact that it costs $599 is just a massive bonus. This fact should embarrass the hell out of every other company out there."

Aug 20, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #4,452 of 8,138
Yeah, it's pretty convoluted but I still found the conclusion interesting: "if I were forced to offer an overall winner to you, there is no question that the Alpha Dog absolutely, brutally emaciated the 11 other models in this report. Disregarding price completely, it compares and even bests some of the $1000+ models out there, yet the drivers original manufacturing price was probably less than $10. No other headphone offers as much as the Alpha and it costs hundreds less than it should. Originally, I had written this report with total disregard to pricing and reviewed each model as if they were all the same price. All mentions of pricing on each headphone section were edited in during the final draft copy, I’d originally tried not to let pricing affect my judgment. Even then, the Alpha Dog still bested most of the other headphones in many ways…the fact that it costs $599 is just a massive bonus. This fact should embarrass the hell out of every other company out there."

Yeah no.

Aug 21, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #4,453 of 8,138

Yeah no.

Tell us how you really feel?

Aug 22, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #4,454 of 8,138
Tell us how you really feel?

Why bother, currawong will just delete my post(s) if I do anyways.

OT: 

1: Pioneer Monitor 10-II: Maybe a little slow, but otherwise glorious. Razor flat, huge staging, excellent extension in both directions, very good detail and separation, and extremely comfortable. Best monitor I've ever used and probably the best monitor period.

2: Pioneer SE-500: I FINALLY realized why I like these so much. They aren't quite as clean as the 10-II and they lack a bit of bass extension but their distortion is still extremely low and they have a very deep soundstage with relatively flat treble and good transients. 

3: Sony DR-Z7: Honestly it's only ranking this low right now because the god forsaken cable shorted out and I can't afford to replace it yet. Gotta love 36 year old copper.

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #4,455 of 8,138
Time to update!

Sennheiser HD800
Audio Technica ATH-AD2000X
Grado GS1000i (red driver "e" version)
Grado RS1i (red driver "e" version)
AKG K240 Sextett LP

Honestly the top 4 are pretty close and can trade positions based on mood...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back