Oh man new ranking...

HD800
AD2000x
RS1i
PS500
K240 Sextett LP
SR225i
K550

The only can I'm really not digging as much is the K550... It's just not as fun or engaging as the rest of my stuff.

Also of note is the RS1/PS500 can swap places depending on mood and what I'm listening to. Actually the whole top 4 can be interchangeable based on mood.

Jun 9, 2014 at 12:54 AM Post #4,187 of 8,138
Don't own many headphones, currently, so I'm going to include what I've owned/auditioned...

Full SIze: Closed
-Shure SRH1540
-MrSpeakers Mad Dog 3.2
-SoundMAGIC HP100
-Shure SRH840
-Audio Technica ATH-M50
-Ultrasone Pro 550

Full Size: Open
-Shure SRH1840
-AKG K712 PRO
-AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition
-SoundMAGIC HP200
-AKG K612 PRO
-AKG Q701
-Philips Fidelio X1
-Sony MA900
-Audio Technica ATH-AD700

On-ear:
-Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear
-KEF M500
-Sennheiser Amperior
-V-MODA Crossfade M-80

IEM:
-Sony XBA-H3
-EarSonics SM64
-Westone 4R
-Shure SE535 Limited Edition
-VSonic GR07 Bass Edition
-VSonic GR07 MK2
-Shure SE215 Limited Edition
-Sony MDR-EX300
-JVC HAFX1X Xtreme Xplosivs

*Currently Own*
*Prior owned*
*Auditioned/Tested*

Jun 9, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #4,188 of 8,138
Currently own only 1 headphone, but here's my list according to many, many demos and previously owned pairs of headphones.

Overall ranking:

The Number "1" spot, the 3 headphones that sound pretty much perfect to me;
JVC HA-DX2000 (currently own) - Closed can, lush and very rich, lovely timbre.
AKG K812 Pro - Open can, clean and precise, accurate and a massive soundstage.
STAX SR-009 - Does everything great, though lacking in timbre and sounds mechanical at times. Also costs the equivalent of a human sacrifice. 

Everything else that's kinda just what I'm not interested in owning in anymore, all either lacking something important or just not to my tastes.
Fostex TH-900 - Peaky treble, and pointlessly expensive. 
Hifiman HE-560 - Very nice overall, but is simply beaten out by the other 3 on top. 
Audeze LCD-X/XC - Soundstage is a little too congested for my tastes, 
ATH-W3000ANV - Missing something in the highs, treble less smooth than I'd like. Bass lacks tightness. 
Fostex TH-600 - Same as it's big brother, albeit more U-shaped and much cheaper. 

All else I forget :D

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:12 AM Post #4,189 of 8,138
We're beginning to get too far afield if people start ranking what they used to own, or heard at a meet, or borrowed, &c. I'd rather stick to the topic. Thanks.

Jun 9, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #4,190 of 8,138
We're beginning to get too far afield if people start ranking what they used to own, or heard at a meet, or borrowed, &c. I'd rather stick to the topic. Thanks.

Well, of all the headphones I ranked, the only one I borrowed was the MA900. All others I owned for extensive periods and remember them well enough to rank...

As I mentioned, I only own three headphones (one closed, one open, and one IEM) so posting only those would have been redundant on my part. I thought what I listed would be helpful, but I'll just unsubscribe since you want to be all critical about it.

Geesh, people do ruin the fun of these threads, sometimes. Reminds me why I haven't been as active as I used to...

*peace out*

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #4,192 of 8,138

I disagree. While I think that things that people heard at some point is a little unfair, I think that borrowing a headphone for an extensive period of time or owning it at one point is fair game. You still got the user experience with them. You might not be able to compare them side-by-side, but you can compare them empirically. I don't see a problem with that.

Jun 9, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #4,193 of 8,138
  I disagree. While I think that things that people heard at some point is a little unfair, I think that borrowing a headphone for an extensive period of time or owning it at one point is fair game. You still got the user experience with them. You might not be able to compare them side-by-side, but you can compare them empirically. I don't see a problem with that.

Except that here is the original post with the original rules for the thread

Rank your headphones. Please rank your headphones that you own and use regularly. Please don’t list or rank headphones that you use to own or that you have tried. My goal here is to have a positive outlook ranking, not a product bashing list. I figure that if you own and use them, you must like them. Right?

If you want to start a new thread listing every headphone you've owned , tried, etc - go ahead.  The idea of this one is to list the ones you own.  It's also good because you can revisit it as you make changes.  Listing every headphone you've ever owned or heard just becomes too much.  I've owned 20-30 headphones.  I've heard many more than that.  But it's far more meaningful if I just list the 4 or 5 that I have.

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #4,196 of 8,138
Except that here is the original post with the original rules for the thread

If you want to start a new thread listing every headphone you've owned , tried, etc - go ahead.  The idea of this one is to list the ones you own.  It's also good because you can revisit it as you make changes.  Listing every headphone you've ever owned or heard just becomes too much.  I've owned 20-30 headphones.  I've heard many more than that.  But it's far more meaningful if I just list the 4 or 5 that I have.

So, you're basically saying that those of us with only a couple headphones should not participate, then. Gotcha...

Yup

Jun 9, 2014 at 4:32 AM Post #4,197 of 8,138
So, you're basically saying that those of us with only a couple headphones should not participate, then. Gotcha...

No - and please tell me where I stated that.  Oh that's right - I didn't  
wink.gif

What I would suggest is sticking to the original rules of this thread.

It's your choice whether you participate or not.  And I've seen posters rank just two headphones - so it's up to you whether you participate.

If you don't like the rules - then start your own thread.  I'm sure you'll get many participants.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back