Rank the Headphones that You Own.
Nov 16, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #3,481 of 8,131
Nov 17, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #3,482 of 8,131
Wow! Ok, considering that you haven't heard them in over 27 years, their ranking for you is quite impressive! You should try them again with potentially better sources. I got mine only a few months ago (thanks Nick!), and I can't believe how nice they sound.

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #3,483 of 8,131
This is a temporary order until my TDK IE800's arrive....

1. JVC HAFX90
2. UE 700
3. Monster Miles Davis Trumpet
4. Klipsch Reference S4
5. Philips SHE3580

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #3,485 of 8,131
Wow! Ok, considering that you haven't heard them in over 27 years, their ranking for you is quite impressive! You should try them again with potentially better sources. I got mine only a few months ago (thanks Nick!), and I can't believe how nice they sound.

Something I want to do. Get some classic 880's (although they are still made more or less), the AKG 240DF, 240 Sextett and 280's.
I miss them, but I really did destroy them not just wear out the pads but cook the drivers, break wires, everything just fell apart. Dj work, eh.

The Sextett's were very clear and clean with great soundstage and detail retreival, but a bit of sizzle. That could, however, have been due to abuse and excessive volumes. Or my 1978 receiver.
The 880's had a slightly darker sound, more bass. Beyers, no surprise.
The KSC's have such a clean, detailed, clear, upper mid and treble - but without Ssssibilants, fatigue or sizzle like the SuperLux get after foam mods.
Definitely better than I recall the Sextetts, and I am even listening to the same music, even if sourced from a file rather than cassette, 8-track, or lp.

Nov 17, 2013 at 7:46 AM Post #3,486 of 8,131
Something I want to do. Get some classic 880's (although they are still made more or less), the AKG 240DF, 240 Sextett and 280's.
I miss them, but I really did destroy them not just wear out the pads but cook the drivers, break wires, everything just fell apart. Dj work, eh.

The Sextett's were very clear and clean with great soundstage and detail retreival, but a bit of sizzle. That could, however, have been due to abuse and excessive volumes. Or my 1978 receiver.
The KSC's have such a clean, detailed, clear, upper mid and treble - but without Ssssibilants, fatigue or sizzle like the SuperLux get after foam mods.
Definitely better than I recall the Sextetts, and I am even listening to the same music, even if sourced from a file rather than cassette, 8-track, or lp

Try the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro. So comfortable, and so smooth and detailed. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #3,487 of 8,131
Nov 18, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #3,488 of 8,131

Definitely better than I recall the Sextetts, and I am even listening to the same music, even if sourced from a file rather than cassette, 8-track, or lp

Try the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro. So comfortable, and so smooth and detailed. 

Do not try this headphone, the Sextett MURDERS it, as do many others...

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #3,490 of 8,131

well no sh!t, Sherlock. I'm sure there's many other headphones better than the HD380's, but for the MONEY they are excellent, fun, and smooth. I'm fairly sire the T1's, HD800, any Stax, or HiFiMan HE series headphones are better, but so is the price tag. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #3,491 of 8,131

well no sh!t, Sherlock. I'm sure there's many other headphones better than the HD380's, but for the MONEY they are excellent, fun, and smooth. I'm fairly sire the T1's, HD800, any Stax, or HiFiMan HE series headphones are better, but so is the price tag. 

Most Sextetts can be had for <$100. A Sony MDR-V6/7506 with Beyerdynamic EDT-231v pads (also $100) can stand up to headphones in the $300 range and are a hell of a lot more "fun" than the HD380 Pro. Hell I'd even recommend a stock T50RP before I'd recommend the HD380. Both it and the 280 Pro sounded really muffled and bloaty, especially on the low end. They lacked refinement and detailed is definitely NOT a word I'd use to describe them.

They were mediocre at best, Watson.

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #3,492 of 8,131
  Most Sextetts can be had for <$100. A Sony MDR-V6/7506 with Beyerdynamic EDT-231v pads (also $100) can stand up to headphones in the $300 range and are a hell of a lot more "fun" than the HD380 Pro. Hell I'd even recommend a stock T50RP before I'd recommend the HD380. Both it and the 280 Pro sounded really muffled and bloaty, especially on the low end. They lacked refinement and detailed is definitely NOT a word I'd use to describe them.

to your ears. They were nowhere near bloaty, muffled, or bassy to me. They were fun, had nice treble extension and yes they had good bass, and decent soundstage. Not the best but again, you speak as if you're gonna get some GRAND soundstage from $100.00 headphones. Most of the time, it's not going to happen, Moriarty. 

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #3,493 of 8,131

I'd kinda agree... I also found the HD280/380 to be muffled/veiled/overly smooth to the point of smothering detail... Maybe not so much muddy (they might be on the verge of qualifying as muddy) However if someone were a bass head or treble sensitive they may really enjoy these cans... for similar money I'd recommend the m80/lp2 or DT770 (if you're basshead) the Grado SR80i/225i (if you like somewhat bright, in your face rock, with super tight bass or acoustic music) the MDR-V6,  (for a more neutral take on things) the AD700x (for female vocals and stringed instruments/acoustic/folk) ... really its up to what you like... if your happy with what you have just enjoy it!

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:01 AM Post #3,494 of 8,131
  I'd kinda agree... I also found the HD280/380 to be muffled/veiled/overly smooth to the point of smothering detail... Maybe not so much muddy (they might be on the verge of qualifying as muddy) However if someone were a bass head or treble sensitive they may really enjoy these cans... for similar money I'd recommend the m80/lp2 or DT770 (if you're basshead) the Grado SR80i/225i (if you like somewhat bright, in your face rock, with super tight bass or acoustic music) the MDR-V6,  (for a more neutral take on things) the AD700x (for female vocals and stringed instruments/acoustic/folk) ... really its up to what you like... if your happy with what you have just enjoy it!

That's what I originally said. They have a smooth sound with treble extension and bass depth with average to small soundstage. 

Nov 19, 2013 at 1:11 AM Post #3,495 of 8,131

to your ears. They were nowhere near bloaty, muffled, or bassy to me. They were fun, had nice treble extension and yes they had good bass, and decent soundstage. Not the best but again, you speak as if you're gonna get some GRAND soundstage from $100.00 headphones. Most of the time, it's not going to happen, Moriarty. 

Actually the V6/EDT combo has an insane chameleon soundstage, but that's not my point. They had decent bass, and bad everything else. Poorly extended and lacking refinement. There were a lot of resonances up top that mucked up the perceived clarity and cleanliness and the FR is simply wrong. I'd take my M50's over a 380 Pro, and I hate that headphone.

Yeah, to my ears, which are obviously more conditioned than yours. Sennheiser's low end stuff is downright atrocious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back