Rainbow Foil, Initial impressions
Apr 14, 2004 at 1:11 AM Post #16 of 466
But thats not my point. The placebo effect does absolutely nothing, its all in your head. To waste your money on these products doesn't improve the sonics of your system in any way, shape, or form. Instead, your brain reacts and you think there is some kind of improvement, only because you expected it. But if there is no real and tangible improvement, why waste the money? Save your cash for CDs or real upgrades.

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:24 AM Post #17 of 466
The mind is a strange thing. The perceived difference can be staggering. Have you ever experienced anything like this before? I know that for myself, just listening to the same performance of a piece of music in two different moods can result in responses ranging from me being apathetic to totally enthusiastic about all the little things going on in the music. For example, Mozart is a snoozer for me at home, but it's different when a friend is here listening with me. We're not saying anything, just listening together. Or a song that sounded really cool to me would sound like a real cheeser of a piece when another friend is here and I'm showing it to him. Suddenly I'm filled with self-doubt that my friend will think it's as cool as I previously did, and I suddenly spot all sorts of flaws in the music writing that make it kinda lame. It's powerful stuff and worth a shot.

In any case, did you see the substitute foil that pinkie mentioned in the other thread? Possible for a $1 sheet to be used with 1000 cds or so. Now, at that rate, I'd be more than willing to try out some o' this good ol' placebo stuff.

As an aside, I thought to let you know that I'm currently in the process of burning in my subwoofer. Yes, the woofers will change with use, I don't think anyone will fight that one since DIYers have taken measurements before and after use and post the average results online (average of different woofers of the same model) so that DIYers without expensive testing equipment can voice and design their crossovers. And the amp is new too, though I don't know how much evidence there is for an amp burning in over time. In any case, I'm trying to convince myself that my subwoofer is sounding better and better each day! Wish me luck
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 1:55 AM Post #18 of 466
Standing up for Pinky.... If it makes you enjoy your music more then who cares if it works and why it works. Besides its free to try, might as well try it before you bash it. I'm definently not going to pay the equivalent of 20 pounds for the stuff but if you want more for a $1 then why not.

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #19 of 466
I'm not directing my comments solely at Pinkie. I just don't agree with the notion of using products like this as a means to "trick" our brain into causing a perceived difference, staggering or not. The actuality is that there is no difference. Instead of throwing our money at something that does not work, it makes more sense to me to realize this and save our pennies for real upgrades.

I am confident that where a double blind test done, no difference would be heard with the foil and without. To satisfy inquiring minds, I've ordered a sample piece, and with the help of a friend, hope to answer this question once and for all.

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #20 of 466
I know that interconnects make a big difference, that power cords make a noticeable difference, that supports and stands make a big difference ... but I really don't believe this stuff will make a difference.

The thing that I find silliest is the claim - if I am reading the instructions correctly from PinkFloyd's photo - that it will improve vinyl LPs. Even if you can accept some possible, although unlikely benefit for CDs (something to do with reflected light), it must be absurd when applied to records or cassettes. The claim that "any spinning object such as a vinyl record or compact disc interacts with the gravitational force to produce adverse energy patterns" is just silly and contrary to even a basic knowledge of physics.

Apr 14, 2004 at 4:47 AM Post #22 of 466
Quote:

Originally posted by Ross
it will improve vinyl LPs. Even if you can accept some possible, although unlikely benefit for CDs (something to do with reflected light), it must be absurd when applied to records or cassettes.

That seemed really strange to me too

Apr 14, 2004 at 6:07 AM Post #23 of 466
you guys didn't read the stuff on the manufacturer's website.

it states that these foil thingies go ANYWHERE in the listening area. and they really mean ANYWHERE. as in putting it underneath the couch you sit on will improve sound.

and basically, they attribute most of this effect to psychology.

so, yes, they basically admit it's all a placebo type effect in a way.

and with that said, there's no point in arguing whether these affect the sound physically or not. the manufacturer basically says, no, they don't.

what IS claimed is that these things will make music sound better. and apparently, they do work, cause pink says his music sounds better. so i guess that's that, huh?

Apr 14, 2004 at 6:19 AM Post #24 of 466
Yes, Orpheus got it bang on. It's not supposed to be a physics thing. They say straight up in their papers that it's metaphysical. All of their products are like that. Where they get off charging so much for it, I don't know, but that has something to do with our perceptions of their products too.

Apr 14, 2004 at 2:44 PM Post #26 of 466
Quote:

If any difference at all is made, it is likely psychosomatic.

LIKELY???

There's a distinct difference between "psychosomatic" and the placebo effect. One has real, measurable results and the other does NOTHING (you merely convince yourself a difference exists).

Don't confuse the two.

Apr 14, 2004 at 2:51 PM Post #27 of 466
Hehehehehe, I get a chuckle every time I read their explanations
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #28 of 466
Quote:

Originally posted by rodbac
LIKELY???

There's a distinct difference between "psychosomatic" and the placebo effect. One has real, measurable results and the other does NOTHING (you merely convince yourself a difference exists).

In pharmacology, a placebo can produce real, measurable results. A placebo is a stimulus that can produce psychosomatic effects. Think about it.
rolleyes.gif

Apr 14, 2004 at 3:19 PM Post #29 of 466
Quote:

Originally posted by radrd
I've blind tested interconnects and found no difference,

Good for you. You've saved a lot of money.

I know a person who is color-blind. He cannot distinguish between blue and green. If I test that person blinded, I can prove that green and blue are the same color. Or can I??? What would the negative result really mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back