Raidho XT-1 - New Version of the Award Winning X-1
Dec 12, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #106 of 132
The new NAD? I don't think you understand. I want to spend a lot of money and find an obscure tube amp that requires daily biasing and costs more than my house and heats my house to 90 degrees and ....

I'm kidding, of course. I've heard great things about that new NAD. And I've been looking at Luxman, the 590. I agree that Class A is the way to bring out the imaging.

I'm especially glad to hear that you've owned the Maggies because those were my speakers for twenty years (well, not the big boys you had) and that's my acoustic reference.

Dec 13, 2020 at 12:02 AM Post #107 of 132
The new NAD? I don't think you understand. I want to spend a lot of money and find an obscure tube amp that requires daily biasing and costs more than my house and heats my house to 90 degrees and ....

I'm kidding, of course. I've heard great things about that new NAD. And I've been looking at Luxman, the 590. I agree that Class A is the way to bring out the imaging.

I'm especially glad to hear that you've owned the Maggies because those were my speakers for twenty years (well, not the big boys you had) and that's my acoustic reference.
Haha I’m glad to see someone who has dropped down the audio rabbit hole has kept his sense of humor and perspective :)

Dec 13, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #108 of 132
I concur with podeschi. I am using a solid state preamp and hybrid tube/solid state amp.

My hybrid power amp uses a quad of 6922's at the input stage (I'm using Amperex 1950's PQ, USA D-getter) I absolutely love my XT-1's. I had originally planned to move up to the Raidho D-1's, but nope, I am a very happy camper with the XT-1's.

My speaker system chain:

Melco N1A/2 | EtherRegen+Farad | UltraRendu+Farad | Denafrips Gaia | Denafrips Terminator Plus | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | 2 Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #109 of 132
I concur with podeschi. I am using a solid state preamp and hybrid tube/solid state amp.

My hybrid power amp uses a quad of 6922's at the input stage (I'm using Amperex 1950's PQ, USA D-getter) I absolutely love my XT-1's. I had originally planned to move up to the Raidho D-1's, but nope, I am a very happy camper with the XT-1's.

My speaker system chain:

Melco N1A/2 | EtherRegen+Farad | UltraRendu+Farad | Denafrips Gaia | Denafrips Terminator Plus | Jeff Rowland Coherence II Series 2 pre | Blue Circle Audio BC-202 amp | Raidho XT-1 | 2 Revel Performa3 B112 subwoofers | PS Audio DS Power Plant 12
I actually bought Raidho higher level speakers (D2) and didn’t like them as much as the XT-1s. Other than my TAD CR1s the only time my room was spaciously and completely filled with music has been with the XT-1s (with two REL small subs). When I build my music room I plan on driving them with two Luxman M800a amps running in monoblock configuration.

Dec 24, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #110 of 132
I'm back with another question. I'd appreciate any advice on speaker cables for the X-1 and XT-1s. My current amp is a Bryston, though I may be replacing it down the road. I've been looking at the obvious, popular cables (Kimber 8TC, Wireworld Eclipse 8, eg) but I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice. I'd say my limit is $800/pair of 8'-10' cables.
Thanks!

Dec 24, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #111 of 132
I'm back with another question. I'd appreciate any advice on speaker cables for the X-1 and XT-1s. My current amp is a Bryston, though I may be replacing it down the road. I've been looking at the obvious, popular cables (Kimber 8TC, Wireworld Eclipse 8, eg) but I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice. I'd say my limit is $800/pair of 8'-10' cables.
Thanks!
Wireworld is a good choice that is what I use with them. Also had great success with audience cabling which is even more of an aesthetic fit

Dec 24, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #112 of 132
Wireworld is a good choice that is what I use with them. Also had great success with audience cabling which is even more of an aesthetic fit

Thank you for such a quick response. I've been leaning toward Wireworld but that's based only on reviews and forum posts, no one with XT-1 experience. I've read about Audience cables and I'll look into them. Again, thank you!

Sep 22, 2021 at 10:02 PM Post #115 of 132
Cheers, all. I'm not sure if this thread is still active but I'd appreciate some advice on an amp for the XT-1. My current amp is clearly underpowered. I would like to pick something up that can be used with some floor-standing speakers down the road. I'm considering used and new, probably ss. I've thought about a Bryston 4B and a Pass 250.8 (used). (I love the look of the smaller Pass amps but, as it's hard for me to audition amps, I don't want to underestimate the power needs of these small but hungry speakers.)

Any recommendations? I'd say my budget is under $7k but I'm okay with used.

Sep 23, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #116 of 132
Cheers, all. I'm not sure if this thread is still active but I'd appreciate some advice on an amp for the XT-1. My current amp is clearly underpowered. I would like to pick something up that can be used with some floor-standing speakers down the road. I'm considering used and new, probably ss. I've thought about a Bryston 4B and a Pass 250.8 (used). (I love the look of the smaller Pass amps but, as it's hard for me to audition amps, I don't want to underestimate the power needs of these small but hungry speakers.)

Any recommendations? I'd say my budget is under $7k but I'm okay with used.
Honestly, the Pass is not a good pairing with Raidho’s. I had seen that mentioned a few times but I was hell bent owning a pair of the legendary XA60.8’s. I scrimped, saved, traded until I was able to order new pair from Pass, took 3 months to build (covid). Sadly, It’s was not a good pairing. Some pieces sounded wonderful but others literally sounded slowed down, even slightly distorted. Yes, I throughly burned them in thinking they just needed time, sold them at around 500hrs.

In the space of a few years I’ve owned the X1, XT1 (twice) the D1.1, the TD1.2 and now the TD3.2’s. All of these wonderful speakers displayed the same basic needs, Raidho’s require quick paced amp with low distortion. I would recommend the Rogue Audio DragoN @4K. It’s a hybrid SS/tube amp, with loads of clean power and just a hint of tubey glow which bring out the best in Raidho ribbon. These speakers are also very sensitive to tube rolling, my favorite being the Telefunkens and I tried quite a few.
Another great complimentary amp was the Lumin AMP (seen 8k used). Slightly
more detail and really smooth after they blossom around 200hrs. I’ve also heard the Mola Mola amps are really exceptional with these Danes.

Some will note that these are both D class and poo-poo them out of hand. They don’t know what they are talking about with regards to Raidho’s. The way these new D class deliver their power simply make these speakers sing. Don’t just take my word for it, check out some of the Audio shows displaying Raidho speakers. The vast majority are using D class in the form of the Aavik U-300. I’ve been at this hobby for many decades and I’ve found a great rule of thumb is to Use what the speaker designer uses to display their product at its best.

In the end I ended up with an Aavik and all Ansuz cabling for my 3.2’s. I’m done.

Sep 23, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #117 of 132
That is an outstanding and very helpful response. The XA60.8s were indeed one of my dream amps (ampses?!). I've read both the audiophile poo-pooing of Class D amps and also many outstanding reviews and recommendations. Everything you write makes excellent sense.

Mola Mola is interesting to me. I'm also curious if anyone has tried Herron amps. I have a feeling from your tone that Aavik might be beyond my budget but I'll poke around.

Thank you!

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #118 of 132
Yes, Aavik is more of an investment, though they do have a newer line that is more affordable but rare on the used market. If you a certain that Raidho are your speakers (up and down the line) you’d be hard pressed to find better. My 3.2’s are my forever speaker, an equivalent Borresen is the only other speaker I’d consider.

As to my primary recommendation, check out the TAS Amplifier of the year awards:

https://www.theabsolutesound.com/ar...-the-year-awards-solid-state-power-amplifiers

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #119 of 132
Full confession, Wraith: the dealer who sold me the Raidhos a year ago also mentioned the Rogue amps as good choices. I was hoping that my venerable amp would do the trick but it's simply not. While our ears may be different, of course, I'm especially grateful for your comment on the Pass mono blocks. I've been eyeing a used XA250.8 and, as admired as that amp is, I'm going to move on from that idea. (Also, that thing weighs 100lbs. That was already a major stumbling block, as it were.)

Sep 23, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #120 of 132
No problem, happy to help. I’ve found there are not a lot of people actual first hand Raidho experience(s) on forums. I know I would have appreciated it when I was looking, would have saved me $ome $eriou$ headache$.

Another caveat with the Pass is the heat. I downplayed this, thinking, “how bad could it really be?” Bad. Optimally you want them running for at least an hour before critical listening. That’s no problem with the window open and a fan going but you want zero ambient noise in the room while listening, particularly with high resolution speakers. However, without these, my treated room quickly turned into a sweat lodge. I even went so far as to buy a “silent” AC unit to cool the room. This worked as long it was on but again, for critical listening, any noise other than what is emanating from the speaker is unacceptable.The amps would be great for winter, I’d never need to turn on the heat, However, they would essentially be Un-useable from April to November here in the PNW where the weather is relatively mild. It’s one thing to be solo but Hosting a listening session with my friends all stripped down to the their boxers..., not my particular cup of tea. Theoretically, the XA250.8 would be exponentially worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back