RAAL-requisite CA-1a Circum-Aural Ribbon Headphone is here! @HeadAmp
Apr 5, 2024 at 7:17 AM Post #992 of 1,050
I think Paradoxper did some of his own ‘experiments’ some time ago. Be careful how much of the foam you remove; if you remove too much the ear pad collapses.
Thanks! I've got only a couple of preliminary ideas: the upper hole could be only slightly less wide compared to open pad and the down hole could be max half of the open. Plan b could be two perhaps 3mm holes in "southeast" and "southwest" with same upper as in the first option. A compromise for openness and some more bass. On the other hand The developers in Raal Requisite have propably made so many tests...we'll see.

Apr 5, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #993 of 1,050
Thanks! I've got only a couple of preliminary ideas: the upper hole could be only slightly less wide compared to open pad and the down hole could be max half of the open. Plan b could be two perhaps 3mm holes in "southeast" and "southwest" with same upper as in the first option. A compromise for openness and some more bass. On the other hand The developers in Raal Requisite have propably made so many tests...we'll see.
Alex developed the Raal phones so maybe you could ask him directly.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #997 of 1,050
One important thing that puts a bit brakes on with such modifications are Mitch Barnett's filter sets, one for open and one for closed. It might be some serious personal economical crisis to order filters to one's self modified pads?
Even with unlimited funds, would you want to do that? I worry having Mitch make a filter for your modified pads would get the sound closer to his target, mitigating the effects of your modification.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #998 of 1,050
Even with unlimited funds, would you want to do that? I worry having Mitch make a filter for your modified pads would get the sound closer to his target, mitigating the effects of your modification.
You're propably right. I'm in a get use period to Raals in my equipment chains. Propably a powerhouse amplifier would bring all the things I'm now searching. This pad modification with their own filter's propably makes so minor differences, that it's not worth it. With existing filters the effect is more real.

Apr 5, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #999 of 1,050
You're propably right. I'm in a get use period to Raals in my equipment chains. Propably a powerhouse amplifier would bring all the things I'm now searching. This pad modification with their own filter's propably makes so minor differences, that it's not worth it. With existing filters the effect is more real.
If you have access to EQ in your set-up I’d use Mitch’s open pad filter and then add a bit of EQ if your modification sounds good but not quite right. Otherwise to get a new filter for your customised pad you’d have to send them to Mitch and as Hiker says what you’d get back is probably something that would make your modification sound exactly like the standard coffee bean pad. Alex tried a lot of permutations when he first developed the CA-1a so I’m happy to use it as he intended.

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #1,000 of 1,050
If you have access to EQ in your set-up I’d use Mitch’s open pad filter and then add a bit of EQ if your modification sounds good but not quite right. Otherwise to get a new filter for your customised pad you’d have to send them to Mitch and as Hiker says what you’d get back is probably something that would make your modification sound exactly like the standard coffee bean pad. Alex tried a lot of permutations when he first developed the CA-1a so I’m happy to use it as he intended.
I'll ask Mitch if he has an eq solution for HLC and filters. What I'm after is some low frequency lift up's with open pads. Otherwise they sound great with Cayin Ha-3a, which in paper seems to be quite underpowered, but anyhow seems to work fine.
Roon might also give a solution for this i guess as you proposed.

Apr 5, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #1,001 of 1,050
I'll ask Mitch if he has an eq solution for HLC and filters. What I'm after is some low frequency lift up's with open pads. Otherwise they sound great with Cayin Ha-3a, which in paper seems to be quite underpowered, but anyhow seems to work fine.
Roon might also give a solution for this i guess as you proposed.
One of the files Mitch provides for the coffee bean pads is neutral plus bass. Do you use this one or is it not there as part of the free test?

Apr 5, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #1,004 of 1,050
One of the signs of the CA-1a being underpowered is loss of bass.
So I thought also. I have more powerfull amps also, but so far soundwise with Raal Ca1a Cayin is my favorite except a bit lean bass with open pads. This might be such a problem that EQ can't properly fix. I must test further also with closed pads and bass levels with different amps.
I bought a Schiit Jotunheim R also, which is in Service now. Voltage has to be changed etc.

Apr 5, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #1,005 of 1,050
I bought Raal Ca-1a and Jotunheim R 115v which I should get working in 230v network. Has anybody experiences with voltage transformers and/or voltage change repairs. I live in Finland, no Scheet audio here. I'd be thankfull for possible comments.
You can buy a 1:2 "step-up" transformer for probably like 100 euros and that will do the job for you. I use one sometimes without issue. It removes noise too, sometimes I'll use mine in 1:1 just for the noise reduction on anything where I get power line hum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back