R5, a new Android DAP by Hiby
Dec 2, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #1,396 of 4,421
Unless I misunderstand, I don’t think screen sensitivity is software issue as I installed FiiO music app and touch screen behavior is the same, or maybe you mean a level beneath apps that’s present regardless of apps? I’ve been using mine for a few months now. I listen to all my music offline, and haven’t once accessed Google play. In developer options I’ve force stopped as much google play stuff as seemed prudent. Maybe this is a factor? The google play thing bothers me as all these background processes always running even when you’re offline not using the darn service. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks
I mean android system is causing it, since it is not consistent in my case. If screen touch was a problem it would be a problem all time or at one specific spot on the screen. I think it is touch sensitivity settings in Android. I would advice to enable all default apps and update them. I recall I was disabling apps with R6 and it was screwing up the DAP,
I actually had to factory reset it when I disabled the HiBy music app :wink:

Dec 2, 2019 at 12:48 PM Post #1,397 of 4,421
I mean android system is causing it, since it is not consistent in my case. If screen touch was a problem it would be a problem all time or at one specific spot on the screen. I think it is touch sensitivity settings in Android. I would advice to enable all default apps and update them. I recall I was disabling apps with R6 and it was screwing up the DAP,
I actually had to factory reset it when I disabled the HiBy music app :wink:
Hey thanks. I reset all app preferences. See how this affects. If I do a factory reset, should I remove my sd card first as in will all that data be wiped?

Dec 2, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #1,398 of 4,421
Yes, HiBy Link (it's in the app) allows you to control the player with your phone through the HiBy Music app. I haven't used it with the R5 since the buttons are very tactile, but I used it with the R3 a lot (I had one of the first versions where it was all one button). It works pretty well, and does so over BT.
For the life of me I can’t find anything pertaining to Hiby Link, in Hiby music app on R5. I’ve looked in all the expected places. I installed Hiby music app on my iPhone and found Hiby link there. Frustrated. Please advise and thanks

Dec 2, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #1,399 of 4,421
Hey thanks. I reset all app preferences. See how this affects. If I do a factory reset, should I remove my sd card first as in will all that data be wiped?
It shouldn’t wipe it but I did remove just in case

Dec 2, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #1,400 of 4,421
For the life of me I can’t find anything pertaining to Hiby Link, in Hiby music app on R5. I’ve looked in all the expected places. I installed Hiby music app on my iPhone and found Hiby link there. Frustrated. Please advise and thanks
It's the modified HiBy symbol to the left of the looking glass at the top bar

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 2, 2019 at 6:41 PM Post #1,402 of 4,421
Joe - I've had it connected in the past, it even shows up as a past connection. But I can't get it to work now - does the R5 have to be in client or server mode, and do I connect with BT prior to turning one on?
First pair them via Bluetooth, then start server on HiBy and Client on phone app.

Dec 2, 2019 at 8:55 PM Post #1,403 of 4,421
It's the modified HiBy symbol to the left of the looking glass at the top bar
I got it thanks. Evidently Bluetooth shouldn’t be turned on before activating Hiby link.
Hiby link. Excessively unresponsive and prone to sudden crashes.
First pair them via Bluetooth, then start server on HiBy and Client on phone app.
Thanks Joe. I tried that but apparently Hiby link doesn’t take if you turn R5 Bluetooth on prior to activating the link. Link working now.
Encountered multiple issues using link, also line out noise between songs. I did a factory reset. I’ll check back once I have patience again to experiment.

Dec 3, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #1,406 of 4,421
Joe Bloggs- I thought you might be able to use this information with the team-here is an email I sent to support:
-----------------------------------
Update on R5 wifi problems with mesh network using one SSID for both 2.4GHZ and 5Ghz bands (Netgear Orbi, eero, google wifi etc) when R5 gets switched to 5ghz-although R5 says connected all online activities stop.
I have exchange my unit for a new R5 which is on Firmware 1.1G. The R5 did exhibit the same behavior at about half hour in--abrupt stopping of streaming, browsing etc.. even though it says it is connected. So a downgrade would not have fixed the problem as it is present out of the box. Hope this helps troubleshoot as it is important to know it was on all 3 R5, regardless of firmware version, so clearly not coincidental.
Hope this helps you troubleshoot and fix.
---------------------------------------------------

For anyone running into this problem and unable or unwilling to split their SSID's the only workaround is to set up an access point with a non mesh router and R5 can connect to either band of that access point. I know this might be suboptimal but I was able to borrow a few routers which worked with R5 as access points to test for anyone who has extra equipment they can use. Unfortunately I can't so I hope they fix this before my new return period ends.

Dec 3, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #1,407 of 4,421
Joe Bloggs- I thought you might be able to use this information with the team-here is an email I sent to support:
-----------------------------------
Update on R5 wifi problems with mesh network using one SSID for both 2.4GHZ and 5Ghz bands (Netgear Orbi, eero, google wifi etc) when R5 gets switched to 5ghz-although R5 says connected all online activities stop.
I have exchange my unit for a new R5 which is on Firmware 1.1G. The R5 did exhibit the same behavior at about half hour in--abrupt stopping of streaming, browsing etc.. even though it says it is connected. So a downgrade would not have fixed the problem as it is present out of the box. Hope this helps troubleshoot as it is important to know it was on all 3 R5, regardless of firmware version, so clearly not coincidental.
Hope this helps you troubleshoot and fix.
---------------------------------------------------

For anyone running into this problem and unable or unwilling to split their SSID's the only workaround is to set up an access point with a non mesh router and R5 can connect to either band of that access point. I know this might be suboptimal but I was able to borrow a few routers which worked with R5 as access points to test for anyone who has extra equipment they can use. Unfortunately I can't so I hope they fix this before my new return period ends.
When would that be?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 3, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #1,408 of 4,421
When would that be?
He slammy.
I am a wireless network architect and have some aps and routers available.

Will test that in different environments also. Basically ubiquity, avm, Cisco and Aruba, hpe.
I did not have wireless issues myself but I Will set some testing up with iap, mesh and some combined ssids

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #1,410 of 4,421
Thanks Tanelorn. I tested it with Netgear orbi RBK50 (2 satellites) and also Google Nest Wifi (4 points or satellites) as well as at a friends house with eero. Music streaming would continue for 1 to 50 minutes (usually the short end of that). Chrome browser, google play etc.. would stop loading at that time. Have had zero issues with traditional routers including including when set up as access points.
When I telnet in to split ssids-R5 only fails on Orbi 5Ghz not 2.4Ghz band. Netgear routers (not mesh) all worked on either 2.4/5Ghz.
I know some mesh allow you to split ssids (I think Linksys Velop) so I imagine they would be fine at least on 2.4GHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back