R10 versus K1000 performance
Dec 1, 2004 at 5:05 AM Post #46 of 66
BTW, for anyone wearing the K1000's for the first time, don't forget that the temple pads slide apart. There's a little tab on the back on them, pull, and it will "click, click, click" slide apart.

The K1000's are my favorite gaming headphones.

Coupled with my Velodyne HGS10 subwoofer, that is.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Ed

Dec 1, 2004 at 5:06 AM Post #47 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
I've got some distressing news. For the first time, a few hours ago, I connected my K1000 to a $15 (yes, fifteen dollar) Portable T-Amp. I powered this little amp with a Radio Shack 13.8 volt 3 amp. power supply that cost about $38. The signal (i.e., music) that I fed this amp. was from the pass-through loop of the SinglePower SDS amp. Well, the result is amazing. The sound produced by the K1000, when driven by this little inexpensive amp., is amazing.

The Sonic Impact madness is spreading! I've gotta hear it to believe it....

Aug 20, 2008 at 5:28 PM Post #48 of 66
preamp plays such major role in k1000's sonic performance. Eventhough I'm using Firstwatt F1 amp, I never think k1000 would be so fantastic like best possible sound not from loudspeakers system until I get such decent preamp (which made me stop thinking for selling k1000.....that was close).

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #50 of 66
not crazy. hearing is believing.

Aug 20, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #51 of 66
Holy thread resurrection!
tongue.gif

The K1000 are great indeed. Sadly I have never heard the R10, so no personal experience in how they compare sound wise.

Aug 20, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #52 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in fact, be the best headphone that money can buy.

This is what I beleive. We did a shoot out with Neils HE-90 set up (completely geared to get the best out of the HE-90), and the HE-90 did have the imaging and other things going for it which would make it beat the K-1000 on some technical points, but in the end, the K-1000 brought the energy and excitement and pure accuracy that trumps the R10 and HE-90 and every headphone every made IMHO... depending an what your tastes are of course.

It exposes the system that you have as transparently as any headphone.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #53 of 66
HE-90 or stax o2 stands for higher level of k1000 (but not generally better since electrostatic can't pwn everything good at dynamic) while k1000 stands for higher level than the rest (which are dynamics)

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #54 of 66
good job. this thread obviously needed to be resurrected.

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #55 of 66
Here's my current system for k1000 (which I believe it can push out real k1000 in acoustic signature)

Source: Linn Genki (modified as best as possible with blackgate caps, superclock v3, separated phyton ultra low-noise terloids opa627au, transport damping, aes/btu out, etc.) <- Virtual Dynamics Nite II
Digital Interconnect: Nordost Valhalla AES/BTU
DAC/Pre: Grace m902 (modified as best as possible with blackgate caps, superclock v3, opa627BP+ad8620, Nordost Valkyrja wiring, xlr balanced out, separated terloids, etc.) <- Nordost Valhalla
Analog Interconnect: Nordost Valkyrja XLR
Power: Firstwatt F1 (Most recent Nelson upgrade) <- PAD Anniversary
Recable: Apuresound V3
Output: k1000
Accessories: Wattgate silver outlet with Pure Sine 1000 (Prototype product from Clef audio with full upgrades)

It sounds so real for both bass and treble. So real but yet not too intense for me. I wouldn't wish for anything else beyond this
biggrin.gif

P.S. Icarium, have you ever tried k1000+recable with SDS in balanced system? I'd like to hear your impressions
wink.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #56 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my current system for k1000 (which I believe it can push out real k1000 in acoustic signature)

Source: Linn Genki (modified as best as possible with blackgate caps, superclock v3, separated phyton ultra low-noise terloids opa627au, transport damping, aes/btu out, etc.) <- Virtual Dynamics Nite II
DAC/Pre: Grace m902 (modified as best as possible with blackgate caps, superclock v3, opa627BP+ad8620, Nordost Valkyrja wiring, xlr balanced out, separated terloids, etc.) <- Nordost Valhalla
Accessories: Wattgate silver outlet with Pure Sine 1000 (Prototype product from Clef audio with full upgrades)

It sounds so real for both bass and treble. So real but yet not too intense for me. I wouldn't wish for anything else beyond this
biggrin.gif

P.S. Icarium, have you ever tried k1000+recable with SDS in balanced system? I'd like to hear your impressions
wink.gif

All system is good, but you must change preamplifier. I know Grace 902 and I suggest you to find some tube preamplifier, with 2A3 or 45 tubes.

Aug 21, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #58 of 66
/me love the K1000 as well.
Its by far my favorite dynamic headphone. Its quite magic driven by the Signature 30.2...
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 21, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #59 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All system is good, but you must change preamplifier. I know Grace 902 and I suggest you to find some tube preamplifier, with 2A3 or 45 tubes.

I agree - especially with the F1. The F1 is the best I've heard at controlling the K-1000 driver but needs tube help to keep it musical.

Aug 21, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #60 of 66
I have not. I have heard the it out of the Zanden 300B amp, Moth Paradigm 300B amp, F1 Firstwatt, Pass Labs Aelph, Woo 5, and all sorts of amps that powered it decently and crappily.

I don't think a SDS even balanced could really do the headphone justice as far as its power needs. As a pre amp? Yeah maybe.

Still the Zanden was the best for me closely followed by the Moth amp.

I think the K1000 is definitely a top tier headphone and its ability to scale is amazing, but saying that it is better than the HE90/R10 is kind of silly since I definitely believe they are all at the same level and which one prefers is more up to the power. I know someone who had both and was powering the K1000 with a Firstwatt amp and she sold the K1000. Is it because she is deaf? Or was it personal preference? I tend to think the latter.

Regardless though. K1k + Zanden is one of the best rigs I've ever heard. I never could justify getting a K1000 unless I had speakers to be powered by the amp as well... well that may be a reality soon so maybe it'll finally be time to get a pair.

But lately I've been really fiending for the AD2000 + the Balancing Act which when sourced by a Filburt modded DAC was extremely close to the AD2000 + Zana Deux + ironbut reel to reel rig for me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WindowsX /img/forum/go_quote.gif

biggrin.gif

wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back