RØDE NTH-100 (new studio headphones)
Mar 29, 2022 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

Sinocelt

Headphoneus Supremus
Here's the product page.

And here are a few impressions and reviews:

On Head-Fi:
Not on Head-Fi:
(I don't intend to keep updating this list for very long. May you find it in your heart, reader, to forgive me.)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #6 of 77
Something I've never seen before (which, of course, doesn't mean it has never been done) is the softer material for the locking mechanism of the cable, so that if someone yanks real hard, what gives or breaks is the cable, not the headphones. It's mentioned in the Booth Junkie video I linked to in this thread's opening post, and I thought that was pretty smart.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 77
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/rode-nth-100

Another review, a quote: "I often return to my Shure SRH1840s as a reference that is subjectively flat, and the NTH‑100s have a very similar tonality through the midrange and top end. Where they differ is in the low end, with a noticeable emphasis evident on the Rodes around 100Hz or thereabouts"

Which sounds like an absolutely lovely combination to me :D

Mar 30, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 77
Dang, and only $150

Mar 30, 2022 at 10:03 PM Post #11 of 77
RØDE was already on my radar for two reasons:
  • The NT1 may be the best bang-for-the-buck large-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone on the market. It isn't artificially bright, unlike most of the competition, and its self-noise is even lower than that of my Gefell M 390 art.*
  • RØDE has partnered with Rycote,** which makes the best shock mounts on the market.
* Another contender for best bang-for-the-buck large-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone would be the Oktava MK 319. It's more colored than the NT1 and not nearly as silent, and its body resonates like a tambourine,*** but it has a warm, velvety sound you simply can't get from another condenser in this price range.
** I tried to convince another microphone manufacturer to do just that for months (maybe even years) before RØDE made it happen. :unamused:
*** Yes, the MK 319 would benefit from the tender embrace of a Rycote shock mount.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #12 of 77
We use the Rode Wireless Go Microphone system at work and it's really pleasant to use. They also offer a long warranty after registering and hats off to how they announce something, and it's immediately available on the same day, worldwide. My NTH-100 will arrive today buy I'm not sure I will be home. Hope I can pick them up in the evening already.

Mar 31, 2022 at 1:47 AM Post #13 of 77
RØDE was already on my radar for two reasons:
  • The NT1 may be the best bang-for-the-buck large-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone on the market. It isn't artificially bright, unlike most of the competition, and its self-noise is even lower than that of my Gefell M 390 art.*
  • RØDE has partnered with Rycote,** which makes the best shock mounts on the market.
* Another contender for best bang-for-the-buck large-diaphragm cardioid condenser microphone would be the Oktava MK 319. It's more colored than the NT1 and not nearly as silent, and its body resonates like a tambourine,*** but it has a warm, velvety sound you simply can't get from another condenser in this price range.
** I tried to convince another microphone manufacturer to do just that for months (maybe even years) before RØDE made it happen. :unamused:
*** Yes, the MK 319 would benefit from the tender embrace of a Rycote shock mount.
Agree about the NT1, although I purchased one several months back and they told me they had stopped including the Rycote mount like they used to with the initial release. So its been shipping with a traditional mount and basic pop filter, despite most images still showing the Rycote mount. Kind of a bummer, but the mic itself is really very good, so I wasn't too upset.

These headphones do look nice, and the thought they've put into them makes them ideal for studio use.

Mar 31, 2022 at 2:42 AM Post #14 of 77
Agree about the NT1, although I purchased one several months back and they told me they had stopped including the Rycote mount like they used to with the initial release. So its been shipping with a traditional mount and basic pop filter, despite most images still showing the Rycote mount. Kind of a bummer, but the mic itself is really very good, so I wasn't too upset.

Kind of a bummer indeed. RØDE should at least offer the option to upgrade to the better shock mount (and its pop filter) when you buy the microphone, rather than only selling the better shock mount (and its pop filter) separately. But I guess it would complicate the logistics too much. Still, that is a bummer, and a waste for people who want the better shock mount (and its pop filter), buy it (and its, er, it), and thus end up with an extraneous shock mount (and pop filter).

Apr 1, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #15 of 77
Received them yesterday. The box is simple but does it's job. Build quality is high. The cups are smaller than i had imagined they would be, this might be a bummer for people with big ears. The comfort is great even with the noticeable weight (which i personally love). The upper part of the headband is alcantara too, while the lower part that rests on the head can be replaced easily, the upper can't. I hope the alcantara on the upper part won't turn ugly in some months of heavy use.

As for the sound, these are just very first impressions: The HiX-60 is definately a class above but that's to be expected being twice the price. It has more clarity in the mids and thus sounds more transparent. Bass is more detailed/textured while being lower in quantity. It has better instrument seperation, and sounds much more open. For those that haven't heard the HiX-60, it's an exceptional closed back headphone in it's pricerange easily besting my previous studio headphones the DT1990 in every category.
But you probably don't want to read about that in the NTH-100 thread :wink:
I would say the NTH-100 sit's nicely where it's positioned. At 149$ it's a steal, at 179€ in Europe (whyyy?) considering it's build quality, still a great buy. It doesn't quite reach the SRH-1840 mids and treble mentioned in the review earlier, but i can see how the reviewer came to that comment. It's not too far.
The bass is tight and dry but not as detailed as the Austrian Audio. It is punchy but nothing that WOWs you like some of the punchier headphones do.
It has a slightly warm tonality overall, but no rolled of treble. No extreme treble peaks as well, i couldn't detect any problematic sibilance.
There seem to be no major flaws in tonality but these are just my ears :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back