Quick comparison - K1000 vs. RS-1 vs. sr325
Dec 23, 2003 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

mikeg

Headphoneus Supremus
I got my new RS-1 three days ago, and ran it for 48 hours. When I compared listening to it through my RA-1 amp vs. the headphone connector of my Marantz SA8260 SACD, there was no detectable difference. I couln't hear any benefit from using the RA-1. When I compared the RS-1 to the SR325, using a Mozart symphony, the RS-1 sounded much more natural and accurate than the SR325. The SR325 exagurated highs, yielding a very strident and rather metalic sound. Listening to the RS-1 was like sitting in a concert hall, while the SR325 performed poorly in this regard. Comparison of the RS-1 to my K1000 yielded a real surprise. This music, when played through these two phones sounded very similar; i.e., this music sounded equally wonderful when played through these two headphones. The amp. that I used to drive the K1000 is an SL AQ-1005DT. My preliminary conclusion from these superficial tests is that the RS-1 and K1000 headphones are equally excellent headphones, and that there is no benefit from using the RA-1 amp. when using a high quality CDP such as SA8260. As for the SR325 headphone, it's not in the same league as the K1000 and the RS-1. And, I'm sure that these findings are no great surprise to most Head-Fi members.

Dec 23, 2003 at 3:11 AM Post #2 of 18
...you have a pair of cans that you feel is on par with what you already had. With this in mind, are you disappointed that the RS-1's didn't exceed the K1000's in sonic terms (or at least in terms of enjoyment)?

Your friend,
Matt

Dec 23, 2003 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 18
Thanks for the comparison.

Interesting to see someone else confirm what I haven't seen much members say here (except fractus2) about the RS-1, the fact that classical, which is considered to be the RS-1's weakest music type, can infact be good on these cans.
I think for the most part, people need to seriously deprogram themselves from the sennheiser way of depicting things, to be able to embrace the way the RS-1 makes classical music sounds, which is, admittedly, different.

The fact that you rate them evenly alongside a very airy and expansive sounding AKG, a can highly regarded fore classical says enough.

The transparancy of the RA-1 amp is obvious in the notion that it seems to do nothing to the sonic signature of the RS-1, which can't be bad in itself IMHO.

Dec 23, 2003 at 3:35 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
...you have a pair of cans that you feel is on par with what you already had. With this in mind, are you disappointed that the RS-1's didn't exceed the K1000's in sonic terms (or at least in terms of enjoyment)?

Your friend,
Matt

Since my ears are much older, and therefore much more used up then yours, the RS-1 and K1000 represent what I consider my ultimate headphones. Although I may perceive a difference between them after more extensive use, it's been nice to switch to the K1000 this evening, after my ears hurt a bit from several hours' pressure by the RS-1. Of course I can switch to the RS-1 when the K1000 begins to hurt. One advantage of this is that I continue to hear great sound when I switch from one headphone to the other. I really disliked getting inferior sound when switching to the SR325, and that's why I almost never used them. Another advantage of having the RS-1 is that I can use it with my SlimX when away from home. It'll be interesting to see whether, in this situation, I get better sound from the RA-1 amp. then from Fixup's Super Mini amp.

Regards,
Mike

Dec 23, 2003 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 18
The 8260 has probably the most powerful headphone-out of any current production CDP. I think it's something like 40mWx2. The player has high-quality playback as well (including SACD capability).

It does not surprise me that you found little, to no difference compared to the RA-1 amp. But the Marantz is quite unique amongst players today.

Dec 23, 2003 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 18
Right there with ya. The K1000 is my fave, then the RS-1 behind it by a hair. I really don't like the SR325. The aluminum housing makes for aggravating resonances, though it does look cool.

Dec 23, 2003 at 7:14 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Spent&Bent

Interesting to see someone else confirm what Ihaven't seen much members say here (except fractus2) about the RS-1, the fact that classical, which is considered to be the RS-1's weakest music type, can infact be good on these cans.
I think for the most part, people need to seriously deprogram themselves from the sennheiser way of depicting things, to be able to embrace the way the RS-1 makes classical music sounds, which is, admittedly, different.

It's the communication skils that RS1 does best.
Not the most neutral or articulate compared to K1k, but RS1 see no boundary in music genre and its greatest asset is an ability to move from a gut level.

Dec 23, 2003 at 7:55 AM Post #8 of 18
I'm really surprised.

I would think that the RS-1 would have more bass slam and more bass body, along with being able to produce higher volume levels before the sounds either starts to mush, get distorted, or become sibilant. likelwise I would expect the K1000 to trounce the RS-1 in the soundstaging department. What I like on the K1000 is electric guitar.

Dec 23, 2003 at 9:09 AM Post #9 of 18
Bass slam is excellent IMHO, take a track like tamperer feat. maya - can you feel it , and slam is excellent, at least on solid state.
On the tubes it gets rounder, less hard hitting.
I am more into PRaT, I tend to value this over bass levels, so I can understand
others finding bass "size" of the RS-1 not sufficient.

BTW: Kuma you are right, it's absolutely a communicating phone, and addictive at that, makes me wanna pimp it all day long
biggrin.gif
, reminds me of a certain other member here, fortunately the RS-1 is a tad smaller so it's easier to shove
very_evil_smiley.gif

Dec 24, 2003 at 3:46 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by wallijonn
I'm really surprised.

I would think that the RS-1 would have more bass slam and more bass body, along with being able to produce higher volume levels before the sounds either starts to mush, get distorted, or become sibilant. likelwise I would expect the K1000 to trounce the RS-1 in the soundstaging department. What I like on the K1000 is electric guitar.

Wallijohn,

The *slam level" on both fones are about the same providing they are both driven properly.
They do it differently in that K1K has a leaner, meaner better articulated bass with longer decays over RS1's sheer grunt and authority. They are both muscular 'fones but RS1 is in keeping with tranditional 'american bass'. ( which I also adore when controlled reasonably )

Both fones' often accused of having too much top end energy. I can certainly understand that. RS1's treble performance is slightly tipped up. Conversely, K1K's top end can become unruly since they are quite often underdriven. This is an easy thing to do since K1K is so open sounding. And yep, RS1 can't compete when it comes to a soundstaging. Any 'fones would have a hard time cometing with 'ear speakers' really.

Dec 24, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Spent&Bent

BTW: Kuma you are right, it's absolutely a communicating phone, and addictive at that, makes me wanna pimp it all day long
biggrin.gif
, reminds me of a certain other member here, fortunately the RS-1 is a tad smaller so it's easier to shove
very_evil_smiley.gif

hehe... my thing is 'fun first' above all else.
biggrin.gif

All the stupid audiophile tricks don't mean a thing to me if you can't get down on it. And I do my share of shameless RS1 plug, cuz, this is soooo much fun.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Bass slam is excellent IMHO, take a track like tamperer feat. maya - can you feel it , and slam is excellent, at least on solid state.
On the tubes it gets rounder, less hard hitting.

Oxymoron alert!

To date, stll the best 'bass slam' in both articulation and quantity comes from my tube amps. Slamming hard is easy to do. It's what comes AFTER makes all the difference.

Jan 1, 2004 at 6:17 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by jpelg
The 8260 has probably the most powerful headphone-out of any current production CDP. I think it's something like 40mWx2. The player has high-quality playback as well (including SACD capability).

It does not surprise me that you found little, to no difference compared to the RA-1 amp. But the Marantz is quite unique amongst players today.

Thanks for the explanation, since I'm really counting on the high quality of the 8260 output. I just ordered an HD650, and probably will use it with a ZU Mobius cable, and hope that the quality of the output of the 8260 will match that of a high quality headphone amp. I'll, of course, compare the 8260 output quality to that of the RA1 with the HD650/ZU cable combo.

Jan 1, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
Comparison of the RS-1 to my K1000 yielded a real surprise. This music, when played through these two phones sounded very similar; i.e., this music sounded equally wonderful when played through these two headphones.

I've now compared these two headphones for several days and the only clear difference that hear between them is the size of their sound stage. The K1000's presentation is like listening to music in a very large space or room, while the RS1's presentation is like listening in a smaller more intimate space. The clarity and resolution of both headphones is equally outstanding. So, the choice of which headphone to use is really mostly a matter of my mood, and perhaps the type of music. BTW, I've really been bitten by this Head-Fi bug. I just ordered an HD650, and will probably use it with a ZU Mobius cable. Thank goodness for my wonderful and amazingly tolerant wife.

Jan 1, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by mikeg
BTW, I've really been bitten by this Head-Fi bug... Thank goodness for my wonderful and amazingly tolerant wife.

Mike, you say that like it's some sort of news or revelation!

- Matt

Jan 1, 2004 at 11:38 PM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Matt
Mike, you say that like it's some sort of news or revelation!

- Matt

Yeah, I think that is why we are all still here. Mike, you did not get out when you had the chance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back