Questyle CMA18 Portable DAC with Headphone Amplifier
Feb 1, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #167 of 392
Really love my M15 and consider it fantastic value for money, so thought I'd give this a shot. So burnt in for approximately 50 hours and running balanced to my Meze Elites. Been listening for a few days around the house with Tidal and local flac files. Sound quality wise, this unit is seriously impressive. Going back and forth between devices, the detail and separation put it in another league completely, in comparison to the M15. It's also apparent that the power limitations of the M15 are significantly improved and the bass is capable of rumbling (whilst keeping the fantastic detail). It's definitely a keeper for me. One thing to note - this thing can get hot in operation. Seriously hot.

cma18p_20240201_152233.jpg

Feb 1, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #168 of 392
Really love my M15 and consider it fantastic value for money, so thought I'd give this a shot. So burnt in for approximately 50 hours and running balanced to my Meze Elites. Been listening for a few days around the house with Tidal and local flac files. Sound quality wise, this unit is seriously impressive. Going back and forth between devices, the detail and separation put it in another league completely, in comparison to the M15. It's also apparent that the power limitations of the M15 are significantly improved and the bass is capable of rumbling (whilst keeping the fantastic detail). It's definitely a keeper for me. One thing to note - this thing can get hot in operation. Seriously hot.
How does the soundstage compare between each other?

Feb 1, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #169 of 392
How does the soundstage compare between each other?
I'm hearing the soundstage as significantly wider (horizontally). Details can be pinpointed much more accurately. It's a noticeable step up from the M15, which always sounded great to me, but going back to it now, it's clearly not in the same ball-park. I need to do more listening, but I can't see anyone going from an M15 to the CMA18p being disappointed with that aspect of it's performance.

Feb 1, 2024 at 1:39 PM Post #170 of 392
apparent that the power limitations of the M15 are significantly improved and the bass is capable of rumbling (whilst keeping the fantastic detail).
Not at all surprised. The M15's domain is mainly IEMs, where its more limited power output is not at all an issue.

You'll always take some kind of a hit with full-sized cans and portable gear (compared to equivalent desktop gear).
It mainly comes down to power supply, form factor, thermals design, and cost considerations.

It's very impressive to see just how narrow the gap is now between portable and dedicated gear, though.
Hope you enjoy your CMA18 for years to come. :)

Feb 1, 2024 at 2:55 PM Post #171 of 392
It's very impressive to see just how narrow the gap is now between portable and dedicated gear, though.
Yeah it really is. I'm old enough to remember sandwiching ipod stacks from a decade or so ago like this:
old_School.jpg

The thing is, the CMA18p is miles ahead in terms of sound quality to those devices of yore, in essentially a similar footprint.

Existing Phone with Tidal + full size cans + CMA18p is basically all I need to last a full day without external power/desktop gear and some seriously fantastic sound quality, in a portable solution.

Feb 2, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #174 of 392
Yeah it really is. I'm old enough to remember sandwiching ipod stacks from a decade or so ago like this:
old_School.jpg

The thing is, the CMA18p is miles ahead in terms of sound quality to those devices of yore, in essentially a similar footprint.

Existing Phone with Tidal + full size cans + CMA18p is basically all I need to last a full day without external power/desktop gear and some seriously fantastic sound quality, in a portable solution.
That takes me back.

Feb 4, 2024 at 3:27 PM Post #175 of 392
Can anyone tell me whether this can do desktop mode? Like Mojo2's power input from USB, bypassing battery?

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #176 of 392
Can anyone tell me whether this can do desktop mode? Like Mojo2's power input from USB, bypassing battery?
Saw a reply somewhere on social media from Questyle saying that they could not fit a second (charge only) usb port due to size limitation. I assume that means no desktop mode, since all other devices with a desktop mode have a separate port for charging.

Personally that's the main drawback for me compared to e.g. FiiO Q15 or Xduoo XD05 Bal2. The main advantages of CMA18P seem to be a smaller size and a current mode amplification that should do wonders to planar headphones. Curios if indeed 1W in current mode is superior to 1.6W in voltage mode?

Theoretically, current mode amplification is superior, as evidenced by $3000 Enleum 23RM that is capable of driving Susvara from a battery while having just 1W output power rating.

Feb 4, 2024 at 4:47 PM Post #177 of 392
Theoretically, current mode amplification is superior, as evidenced by $3000 Enleum 23RM that is capable of driving Susvara from a battery while having just 1W output power rating.
Someone was able to drive their sus with the 18p if you check the socal canjam thread.

Feb 5, 2024 at 12:26 PM Post #178 of 392
I wouldn’t use a blanket statement like that.

Current mode amplification isn’t universally superior; its effectiveness depends on the specific characteristics of the headphones being used. For instance, headphones with lower impedance, such as many planar magnetic models, benefit more from an amplifier’s ability to deliver high current rather than just high voltage. This is because these headphones require a strong current to drive their larger, thinner diaphragms effectively. They also tend to be lower impedance.

Take a pair of 300 Ω cans, and you’ll see most love driving them from tubes and vintage audio which tend to have a higher output impedance are able to swing a higher voltage into the load.

Current amplification has been around for decades, but has more recently permeated the headfi space. It definitely has some advantages.

Feb 6, 2024 at 2:46 AM Post #179 of 392
I wouldn’t use a blanket statement like that.

Current mode amplification isn’t universally superior; its effectiveness depends on the specific characteristics of the headphones being used. For instance, headphones with lower impedance, such as many planar magnetic models, benefit more from an amplifier’s ability to deliver high current rather than just high voltage. This is because these headphones require a strong current to drive their larger, thinner diaphragms effectively. They also tend to be lower impedance.

Take a pair of 300 Ω cans, and you’ll see most love driving them from tubes and vintage audio which tend to have a higher output impedance are able to swing a higher voltage into the load.

Current amplification has been around for decades, but has more recently permeated the headfi space. It definitely has some advantages.
I think there's a difference between current mode amplification (like Questyle) and curret output Amplifier (like Bakoon HDA5210 for example).

For Bakoon, yes, like you wrote above, can handle Low Impedance Planar better than the regular voltage output amplifier.

However, AFAIK, Current Mode like Questyle means the amplifier read the input data in form of Current as opposed of Voltage (like many others Amplifier), but still use voltage output.

Feb 6, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #180 of 392
I just made a few purchases in order to test this bad boy out. Ordered an Abyss Diana MR, Meze Empyrean II, Woo Audio WA7, Questyle M15, Questyle CMA 18, and the Xduoo XD05 + AKM DAC. I'm not the most seasoned audiophile by any means, but will run them through their paces and decide which I'd like to stick with 🤤

Shout out to generous return policies 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back