Questions about Grado HP Signature Headphones
Jul 14, 2001 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42
Here are the guesses I have so far (if I'm missing any of you, let me know):

JMT $650
joelongwood $679
sackley $660
Joseph $601
Tides $695
mbriant & jude $700 (I'm not eligible for the prize)
Voyager $646
bootman $750
KR $725
acidtripwow $2000

Get your guesses in before 2:00 p.m. EST (it's currently 1:28 p.m. EST). Remember, it's the closest without going over. Winner gets not one, but TWO of my spare Cardas RCA Caps, retailing at a mind-boggling $6.00! Yes, folks, the stakes are high.

UPDATE 2:07 p.m.: Okay, this is how the guesses stand. Heheh. This contest is a rare beast -- one in which the prize is likely worth less than the cost to ship it! Let's see what this auction finally ends at.

UPDATE 2:37 p.m.: acid was the last entry! I had to let his in because it was so entertainingly high! No more entries are being permitted, as it is getting closer to auction end time, and so easier to start guessing how it's going to go. Sheesh, you'd think I was giving away something of real value the way I'm talking about all these rules and stuff. At the end of the day, the big winner is going to go to his mailbox, open up a padded envelope or small box, and find two brass/nickel nubs.

Jul 14, 2001 at 6:30 PM Post #3 of 42
Quote:

This contest is a rare beast -- one in which the prize is likely worth less than the cost to ship it!

Oh my god Jude, I laughed so hard I fell off my chair!!!!!

I'm too late but my guess is $2000.
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2001 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 42
I will not get caught in the silly bidding wars. I have a limit and will not go pass it.

All you Grados fanatics ( starting with joelongwood)
really should donate some funds in
* Tides needs a Grado Fundation*

Together we can slice up that chalupa dropper
biggrin.gif

Show me some Headwizers' power!

Tides

Jul 14, 2001 at 6:58 PM Post #5 of 42
Quote:

I am kinda confused as to how the Grado Amp can be used as a pre amp? How do you connect them? Does this theory also apply to the RA-1 too or is it just for the HPA-1 amp?

You would need a cable that has a 1/4 stereo phono plug on one end and a pair of RCA jacks on the other and use the headphone output to feed the power amp. You can do this with any headphone amp if you think about it. The catch is the connecting cable. (Did Joe Grado ever come up with one? I know he made ICs out of the same cables that he wired up the HPs with, but I don't know if he made one as described. Now that would be a find!)

Quote:

Actually, come to think of it, does putting any high quality preamplifier between a headphone amp and source improve the sound? Hmm, maybe I should start a new thread about this....

It might change the sound because of the extra component in line. Now if there is an improvement (change), the reason would be because of whatever sound (color) the preamp would have. (along with interconnects)

smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2001 at 1:49 AM Post #6 of 42
**Public Service Announcement**

Apologies in advance if i've inconvienienced anyone by moving / splitting this thread, but... it had gone way away from being a review, and... was getting a shade long

**End Of Message**

Now... Back to the fun
wink.gif

Jul 15, 2001 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 42
Just in case it gets lost in the archives... here is the Original thread that started this off

$685... Hmm... I really must move to the US... thats like 2 weeks pay for me, and... well... hmm... lucky for some i guess
frown.gif

Jul 15, 2001 at 4:41 PM Post #11 of 42
I am VERY tempt to bid again, ( I was outbid around 670 I believe) But It really exceed my limit that I set on it ( as I have bidded)

damn it...

BTW, I have a feeling there are at least 1 more sniper on that auction ( not talking about myself)

I be surprise if it gets no bid before it ends

and if no one bids, I actually wins RIGHT ON the money guess LOL~! ( I doubt it, I see one more sniper bid on this. )

Tides

Jul 15, 2001 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 42
I am staring at the auction with my heart racing...
as I am trying hard NOT to bid on it as it went over my limit like 4 bids ago ...

I have a feeling even if I bid 705 on it, I iwll not win, the dude who just bid few mins ago prob set a 720 or 730 bid, there is NO way I am going to top that bid. You know he is watching that auction right now and ready to resubmit another bid.

damn it, why cant my PC just CRASH RIGHT NOW ??
Always seem to crash at the wrong time..

Tides

Users who are viewing this thread

Back