Question regarding CMOY case work
Jan 11, 2007 at 9:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

GlorytheWiz825

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I'm building a CMOY out of an Altoid tin. I'm not sure on how I'm supposed to do the case work. Do I need a drilling tool or can I simply burn a hole in the altoid tin with my soldering iron? Thanks for all who respond.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 11, 2007 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 13
Regular drill bits tend to rip thin aluminum.

Instead, take a look into Unibits, particularly a Unibit #1 drillbit. They are stepped bits which give you a nice easy to do hole.

Jan 11, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #5 of 13
IF you can't find a unibit...this is what I do for good results, but it takes a while: Simply use the smallest bit you have and work your way up gradually until you get the right size. It usually doesn't rip up the aluminum.

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #6 of 13
Ah darn, have to buy more tools. :/ Okay thanks guys for your responses! I had a feeling that the melting point of that metal tin was higher than what my soldering iron could produce.

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 13
Okay, so the unibit is only the bit. Now the drill will cost significantly more. You guys know a cheap drill that works well with the unibet suggested in previous posts? Thanks!

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 13
Depends how much you want to spend. You can get $10 junk tools.

Personally I'd recommend Ryobi for good bang for buck that will get used occasionly, maybe Ozito if used rarely as they're about the cheapest I feel you can go without getting completely junk and they usually have fairly long warranties. Can't hold a flame to quality tools, but if you only bring it out once every few months it makes sense. I've had some people recommend for occasional use to get a Dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch etc. To me that is stupid unless you're rich.

I'd wait to hear some comments from fellow Canadians or Americans if you can get their stuff easily enough. The brands available naturally differ from what I can get so there might be something else suitable.

Jan 17, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #11 of 13
I'm not Canadian, but some of the Canadians have posted about Canadian Tire as being a good source of tools for good (or great) prices. That said, some have had good luck punching holes with a sharp paper punch... these will do 1/4" holes which is pretty much all you need with the exception of the pot if you are using one. Otherwise, most switches, LEDs, jacks etc. take ~1/4".

Jan 17, 2007 at 3:46 PM Post #13 of 13
Another thing to consider is if you're going to continue to do more DIY stuff, you will want to have decent tools.

I agree with splaz, Ryobi is good bang for the buck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back