Question for those in NYC
Jul 24, 2001 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ploit

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a store to try out a pair of sony v6's. Any recommendations? Even if the store doesn't carry the v6's, but it has a good selection of headphones, please tell me about it.

Jul 24, 2001 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by ploit
I'm looking for a store to try out a pair of sony v6's. Any recommendations? Even if the store doesn't carry the v6's, but it has a good selection of headphones, please tell me about it.

ploit,

Welcome to Head-Fi. I'm not sure if they still have them, but I bought my V6's from J&R (via mail order).

If you have a hard time locating MDR-V6's, make sure to keep your eyes open for MDR-7506's, which are pretty much the exact same thing. Just make sure to stay away from MDR-V600's.

Jul 24, 2001 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 13
I went to Singer Audio on 17th St near Union Square one day and saw that they had the Creek and Grado headphone amps for sale there, but I didn't see what, if any, headphones were there.

I know that Harvey electronics on 45th St has Senn's and Grado's and Park Audio on 23rd and Park may have some as well, but I'm not sure which brands.

I'm looking for a place to demo the MG Head in NYC myself, since it will likely be my next purchase.

Jul 24, 2001 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Welcome to Head-Fi. I'm not sure if they still have them, but I bought my V6's from J&R (via mail order).

Nope. Before I got mine from Flumpus, I called J&R and they no longer carry them. When I was in NYC last week I even checked their retail store -- no luck.

Sound By Singer doesn't carry Sony, I don't think.

However, there are *tons* of audio stores in NYC; I'm sure someone has to carry them
wink.gif

Jul 24, 2001 at 7:38 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by ponzio
I went to Singer Audio on 17th St near Union Square one day and saw that they had the Creek and Grado headphone amps for sale there, but I didn't see what, if any, headphones were there.

I know that Harvey electronics on 45th St has Senn's and Grado's and Park Audio on 23rd and Park may have some as well, but I'm not sure which brands.

I'm looking for a place to demo the MG Head in NYC myself, since it will likely be my next purchase.

I checked both Harvey and Singer, and neither had the sony's. I did pickup a pair of sr-80s from Harvey, though.

Jul 24, 2001 at 8:05 PM Post #6 of 13
Harvey wins the award for employing the 'most interesting audio salesperson I have ever encountered'. He / she helped me several times and always did his / her best.

Jul 24, 2001 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 13
Uhm, sony's aren't considered serious headphones... no audiophile store like singer or park will have em....

Go over to B&H on 34th/9th... there's some on the wall in pro audio... if you're downtown, then J&R... or try any Wiz store... just don't bother lookin for 7506s/V6s outside canal st stores/big shops & chains... not gonna happen.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2001 at 8:58 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Apheared
Dude, if you find "V6" you're finding OLD HEADPHONES, you do know that, right? Discontinued.. for years. So stores that carry the lines will probably 99.9% of the time *not* have V6s. Ask for MDR-7506s...

I just assumed that since some online retailers carry the v6's, I was hoping that some B&M's would too. I haven't been asking for the 7506's since I hear they're the pretty much the same as the v6's, but I guess I should start.

Jul 25, 2001 at 1:37 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Dude, if you find "V6" you're finding OLD HEADPHONES, you do know that, right? Discontinued.. for years.

I've heard several people say that, but there are also a few people here who claim, rather adamantly, that the V6 aren't discontinued. Hmm... who's right?
wink.gif

Jul 25, 2001 at 5:30 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

I've heard several people say that, but there are also a few people here who claim, rather adamantly, that the V6 aren't discontinued. Hmm... who's right?

I'm right, of course. And anyone else who believes these phones are not discontinued can live in whatever dream world they find fun. :p It's been what, five years now? More? Call up Sony Customer Service and ask them what the availability status is for MDR-V6 headphones. Go ahead, I'll hold.

Yes, they DID come back for awhile there about two years ago. We're not sure. I don't think they went back to producing them as V6s, I think someone located a misdirected crate at the shipping dock. So poof, someone dumps a batch for cheap, and places like J&R (who specialize in cheap and bulk) bought em up... and "bump & dump" places online like milliondollarbuy.com and stuff...

BTW, if you've ever heard of Capresso coffee makers... J&R bought up the remaining stock of the previous models... the 450 they're selling for under $30. was much more. Not the point, but they have one great feature... they brew hotter and keep hotter than anything out there.

Sorry, anyway... get either 7506s and be done with it, or start door-to-door shopping for V6s. I know a couple places on Canal St that had em a few months ago, but dunno about today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back